• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 SCRIPTS 2 B PUBLISHED!!!

Now that you remind, PayPal is something I get to curse on a regular basis. :) They don't accept registration from multiple countries, and multiple stores use their services in apparent unawareness of this.

I have nothing but good words for PayPal so far. :D Registered a few weeks ago (now that they finally semi-allow us .. well, they allow us to pay others through them but not to withdraw money ourselves), mostly for eBay, and haven't had any problems yet.

As for the scripts .. still thinking about that. I'm curious, and would want them, but ... a) knowing myself, I'd end up maybe leafing through a few volumes once and that's it, and b) I don't really have that much shelf space. ;) But they are damn tempting!

Before I got a debit card, I joined Paypal, and tried to use it to pay for things, but I couldn't use it anywhere. The problem is that they require a credit card to be linked to the account, or you aren't really approved. I think that stinks, and is a scam. If I had had a credit card, I wouldn't have needed to use Pay Pal. Prying this info out of them was extremely difficult, as their e-mail is answered by a machine. I hate the bastards! I now have a Visa debit card from my bank, and have no trouble whatsoever buying things on line, or anywhere, here in the US. The only thing that you can't do with a debit card is rent a car, because they demand a particular line of credit, since the final expense is undetermined at the time of rental. I will never have another credit card in my life, because of the once illegal, and very expensive, things the card companies can do to you, without warning, or real cause.

Jade, PayPal is certainly not a scam ... the major use of the system over the years has been to provide a facility for people to pay online sellers by credit card, where the seller themselves does not have the facility to accept card payments.

For example ... I sell our bands CD through our website (a few copies a year at most). Not a single one bought that way has been within the UK (where I am), and having a PayPal acount allows me to accept their payment by credit card from overseas without me going to the unjustifiable expense of setting myself up to accept cards direct.

That system works really well ... and it is very easy to see why eBay wanted to make them part and parcel of their empire.

In the case of the B5 scripts, payments will be handled by Cafepress, who are set up to accept credit cards as part of their operation. I have always found it perfectly straightforward to pay online by debit card, using my VISA Delta cards, even where the option of selecting a debit card is not available.

I guess that comes down to whether or not other providers of debit cards are big enough for online retailers to justify offering the facility. Here in the UK, there are basically three debit card providers: VISA, Mastercard and Switch (now Maestro, who do not do a credit card). UK retailers tend to accept all three, while overseas ones tend to just accept VISA or Mastercard, presumably because they are worldwide providers.

The one good thing about buying online with a credit card is that if you spend more than £100 the credit card company shares liability with the retailer if something goes wrong.

In August I used my debit card to buy a new red Suzucki Swift. I could not have done that with a credit card, the limits are too small.

Jade, PayPal is certainly not a scam ... the major use of the system over the years has been to provide a facility for people to pay online sellers by credit card, where the seller themselves does not have the facility to accept card payments.

I wouldn't call it a scam, if they would be up front on their website, and tell you not to bother signing up, and sending them your money, IF you don't have a credit card, because you won't be able to pay for ANYTHING, with ANYONE, even though they already have your money. Because I tried to use PayPal, without a credit card, they had my money for a week, and I couldn't use it to order what I intended to order. That stinks. :mad:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back