• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Newbie questions (spoiler questions)

chamber

hi i'm pretty new to B5 just got the season 1-4 set a week ago and got so hooked that i finished it. I just wanted to know if their are any was any information on sheridan and delens child or children. I know they had a son but i'm not sure if they had more. I was just wondering what became of them, it would cool to have a series on that guy, cause he really totally does not belong to any race.

one other question is are there any good babylon 5 books.

thanks

As for David, read the Centauri Prime trilogy the "Legions of Fire"
There are also the Techno-Mage books "The Passing of the Techno-Mages and the 3 Psi Corps books "Dark Genesis".
Then you have The Shadow Within about John Sheridan and Anna Sheridan. The last one is "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" about Sinclair.
When you go to read the Techno-Mage books read The Shadow Within first. The books are all very good reads.

I know they had a son but i'm not sure if they had more. I was just wondering what became of them, it would cool to have a series on that guy, cause he really totally does not belong to any race.

But as per our discussion about combining DNA in another thread, I suspect that David was/is human. DNA can't combine with that of other species so I was assuming that Delen's DNA became human which allowed her to have a child with John. Thus David would be human.

More about the books:

* Most of the books aren't really considered canon. The three trilogies are because JMS made the story outlines that the authors of those books followed. To Dream in the City of Sorrows was written by Kathryn Drennan, JMS's wife. I think it's also considered canon (or at least "semi-canon") by most. It's been a while since I've read it, so I remember virtually nothing about it, but I vaguely remember it being pretty good.

* The Shadow Within is often recommended to people because it has some ties to the Technomage trilogy. I think it was written before the trilogy was conceived, so it's kind of an "accidental" prequel. I don't think I've ever read it myself, so I can't judge how good it is.

* People's opinions on the three book trilogies vary greatly, but personally, I would recommed the Centauri Prime trilogy the most. The writer, Peter David, seems to capture the characters the most accurately. It is sometimes said, even by JMS himself, that B5 is the story of Londo Mollari. The Centauri Prime focuses greatly on him over a period of several years. Some of the content of the books tie directly into some of the TV episodes (as do some of the Technomage books), and they do serve to "bookend" the timeline of the series.

* As far as non-fiction books, Andy Lane wrote The Babylon File, volumes 1 & 2. The two books serve as in-depth episode guides for the whole series (volume 1 only goes a third of the way into season 4; volume 2 finishes it off and expands more on earlier eps). They also contain some essays about B5 topics and some reviews of the novels and comic books.

* The much-awaited B5 quote book is supposedly/hopefully coming out in the fall of this year.

* If you're interested in role-playing games, don't bother with the The Babylon Project by Chameleon Eclectic. I never played the game, but the mechanics looked pretty weird. Plus, the artwork in the core book wasn't great. I think they only made a couple expansions, and I doubt they went beyond that. However, Mongoose Publishing is currently producing a newer Babylon 5 RPG. I haven't played it either, but they've cranked out a buttload of expansion books and resources, and from their 2005 release schedule, it looks like more are coming. Speaking of Mongooe Publishing...

* Mongoose Publishing recently announced, there are more novels and graphic novels on the way. Thank goodness for Mongoose. Finally, somebody out there appreciates B5 as a viable product.

Steve Smith wrote an excellent B5 cookbook, 'Dining on Babylon 5', in case you ever feel the need to cook spoo, snicks, flarn, etc.. :)

I think it's out of print now, but there should still be copies on Ebay..

Plus I'm just starting to realize that there is some great B5 fan stories out there! I've read three by Hilary Weston and not only is she a great writer but she really has all the characters down. Especially Stephen, Ivonava, and Marcus. She ties it in with the books and show perfectly. I'm reading one now called, "Regaining Life," and I'm on the edge of my seat. I'd highly recommend her (but before reading 'Regaining Life' be sure to read 'Rediscovering Marcus').

To Dream in the City of Sorrows you can read whenever you please after watching season 4.

After finishing season 5, and the TV movies and Crusade (in JMS's preferred viewing order, not the order on the DVD), I'd go with The Shadow Within first, then the Technomage Trilogy, and last the Centauri Prime trilogy. Both for chronology and story arc.

The Psi corps trilogy (of which the first book is called Dark Genesis, and the second two are more about Bester), you should hold off on untill watching season 5. Chronologically, it spans a lot of time, but you can read it after, before or between the other books, because the psi corps trilogy doesn't tie in as closley as the Centauri and Technomage trilogies. Personally, I read it as the first B5 trilogy that I read. It works that way too, since -- no surprise -- it was the trilogy first released.

thanks a lot for the info. i'm waiting to get season 5 and crusade and the movies . but i'm kinda apprehensive cause after that it would suck to not have anything else. I just hope some network see's the light of day and picks up a series based in the b5 world. Or they would probably be like star trek and build a extremely loyal fan base and 20 years they pick it up. that would be an agonizing wait.

There is also a series of books they are
Voices
Accusations
Blood Oath
Touch of your shadw the whisper of your name
Clarks Law
Betrayals

There is also the novalization of Thirdspace and In the Beginning .I won't give you my opinion on these books but if you would like to read them then by all means .I won't give my opinion on these I will let you decide for yourself.

Voices
Accusations
Blood Oath
Touch of your shadw the whisper of your name
Clarks Law
Betrayals

Alot of folks weren't particularly impressed with these, because there's quite a bit in them, that's not considered Canon, but, for me at least, knowing they weren't totally Canon going in, I was still able to enjoy them and have a fun read. I personally, especially enjoyed the one set on Narn, Blood Oath.

You definitely want to check out the Centauri trilogy, as David Sheridan is a rather central figure. The third novel details what leads up the events you see in War Without End II.

Plus I'm just starting to realize that there is some great B5 fan stories out there! I've read three by Hilary Weston and not only is she a great writer but she really has all the characters down. Especially Stephen, Ivonava, and Marcus. She ties it in with the books and show perfectly. I'm reading one now called, "Regaining Life," and I'm on the edge of my seat. I'd highly recommend her (but before reading 'Regaining Life' be sure to read 'Rediscovering Marcus').

:eek: OK, I am blushing. I can't believe the number of rave reviewers I have, or the number of times I've been named. Someone cited me as an example of good characterisation in a review of another author's story!! It can be a little scary.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read my stories, then click here. You can leave even more very nice reviews if you like. :D

:eek: OK, I am blushing. I can't believe the number of rave reviewers I have, or the number of times I've been named. Someone cited me as an example of good characterisation in a review of another author's story!! It can be a little scary.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read my stories, then click here. You can leave even more very nice reviews if you like. :D

Seriously, she really is awesome. EASILY as good and Peter David or Jeanne Cavelos. I'd say on par with J. Gregory Keyes. But basically you're getting some top notch B5 stuff where you can actually hear the characters' voices in her dialogue. If you really want some more good B5 stories, go here.

(No she didn't pay me. She doesn't even know me except maybe my posts here.)

I read hear that there some good B5 fan fictions, does anyone know where you can get it.

Another thing I wanted to ask is wether crusade was good cause i've been trying to look for it. I used to see it all the time in Video Stores but i didn't know much about The B5 world so i didn't get it but now that i really want it it's all sold out.

I actually just heard of Babylon 5 because i'm a fan of JMS's comic books Rising stars, Midnight Nation and Supreme power, but now i'm hooked and it's hard to get stuff for it here in the philippines. Were the TV movies sold on DVD or videos?

Chamber, welcome to the boards. Yes there appears to be lots of good fan fiction as well as lots of good fiction in the form or Babylon 5 novels that you can find at amazon.com . But look here first. I would read "Restoring Hope" first and then "Regaining Life." But also be sure to check out the Centauri trilogy, the Technomage trilogy, and the Psi-Corps/Bester trilogy as those are AWESOME!!!

I read hear that there some good B5 fan fictions, does anyone know where you can get it.

Another thing I wanted to ask is wether crusade was good cause i've been trying to look for it. I used to see it all the time in Video Stores but i didn't know much about The B5 world so i didn't get it but now that i really want it it's all sold out.

I actually just heard of Babylon 5 because i'm a fan of JMS's comic books Rising stars, Midnight Nation and Supreme power, but now i'm hooked and it's hard to get stuff for it here in the philippines. Were the TV movies sold on DVD or videos?

I take it you haven't seen the B5 episodes, the Crusade episodes, or read any of the B5 novels?

Short Answers:

B5: Best TV Series I ever saw. Watch from beginning to end. B5 TV movies, all are good except for the Rangers pilot (To Live and Die in Starlight). Best are "In the Beginning" and "A Call to Arms."

Crusade: Had only 13 episodes. Reason? Nutcases at TNT-Atlanta. Worth having, but a correct airing order is all but impossible to arrive at. Great characters.

B5 Novels: The good ones are:
Book#7 The Shadow Within 0-440-22348-2, 0-345-45218-6
Book#9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows 0-440-22354-7, 0-345-45219-4

and the three Del Rey trilogies:

Psi Corps trilogy
Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps 0-345-42715-7
Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant 0-345-42716-5
Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester 0-345-42717-3

Centauri trilogy
Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime 0-345-42718-1
Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark 0-345-42719-X
Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness 0-345-42720-3

Technomage trilogy
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows 0-345-42721-1
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light 0-345-42722-X
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness 0-345-43833-7

and the Peter David novelizations of "In the Beginning" and "Thirdspace"
In the Beginning 0-345-42452-2
Thirdspace 0-345-42454-9

All of Babylon 5, Seasons 1 thru 5, all the TV movies except the Rangers pilot ("To Live and Die in Starlight"), and Crusade are out on DVD in Region 1.

Latest posts

Members online

Back