B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old January 13th 07, 22:14   #1
Dayton3
First One

Babylon-5 Shuttles & the Battlestar:Galactica?

I've just gotten through watching "Babylon Squared".

I'm a Babylon-4 junkie.

The episode featured several good shots of the B-5 shuttles.

Is it my imagination or do the B-5 shuttles share a striking resemblence to the forward portion of the original Battlestar Galactica?
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 07, 22:30   #2
KoshN

Re: Babylon-5 Shuttles & the Battlestar:Galactica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
I've just gotten through watching "Babylon Squared".

I'm a Babylon-4 junkie.

The episode featured several good shots of the B-5 shuttles.

Is it my imagination or do the B-5 shuttles share a striking resemblence to the forward portion of the original Battlestar Galactica?
Yes, there's a general, utilitarian shape similarity in just the nose of each, but the size difference is huge.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 07, 22:35   #3
RMcD
First One

Yeah, it's very true. In much the same way the Earth Force Omega class Destroyer bears a startling resemblence to the Leonov from 2010, and the Starfury might just be the lovechild of an X-Wing and a Tie Fighter..
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 07, 23:26   #4
Dayton3
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
Yeah, it's very true. In much the same way the Earth Force Omega class Destroyer bears a startling resemblence to the Leonov from 2010, and the Starfury might just be the lovechild of an X-Wing and a Tie Fighter..
The wikipedia article on the Leonov says that it inspired the Omega class destroyer.

And I remember reading that the StarFury was deliberately meant to echo the X-Wing fighter.

But I recall nothing about the B-5 shuttle.

I'm wondering that the shuttle being capable of atmospheric flight might be a factor.

I had read back in the mid 1970s when Battlestar:Galactica was in the planning stages that even the mile long Galactica was intended to be capable of landing on a planet surface (now seems unbelievable).

That being why the bottom of the flight pods were flattened.
Old January 13th 07, 23:48   #5
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
I'm wondering that the shuttle being capable of atmospheric flight might be a factor.

I had read back in the mid 1970s when Battlestar:Galactica was in the planning stages that even the mile long Galactica was intended to be capable of landing on a planet surface (now seems unbelievable).

That being why the bottom of the flight pods were flattened.
Hmmm, I thought the Battlestar Galactica from the original show and the one from the current show looked pretty much the same in the front. Haven't seen the one from the original show since that show first aired.

Also, I thought you were talking about this B5 shuttle, not the atmospheric one. This was the one used to shuttle crews off of Babylon 4.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th 07, 01:19   #6
Dayton3
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Hmmm, I thought the Battlestar Galactica from the original show and the one from the current show looked pretty much the same in the front. Haven't seen the one from the original show since that show first aired.

Also, I thought you were talking about this B5 shuttle, not the atmospheric one. This was the one used to shuttle crews off of Babylon 4.
Yeah, thats the one I was referring to. I had forgotten about other delta winged B-5 shuttle.

The more I rewatch it, the more I remember just what a dang good show Babylon-5 was.

I believe that there was one year when Babylon-5 was on, in a given week you could see Babylon-5, Space:Above & Beyond, SeaQuest:2032, Star Trekeep Space Nine, X-Files, & Star Trek:Voyager.

My best friend at Wal-mart would tape all that from Friday through Monday and give me the tape Tuesday morning.

I would spend about five straight hours on Tuesday night watching everything.

Those were the days
Old January 16th 07, 04:30   #7
Thrawn
First One

Greetings, all.

Speaking of BSG.. has anyone else noticed that the new series on SiFi.. is actually pretty good?

I know, I know.. I was as shocked as the next guy. But it is surprisingly good. Given the overall cheesyness of the old show, I mean.

Little crimes we don't worry about in this country: Padding the expense account, cheating on your taxes, and genocide.
-George Carlin
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 07, 08:39   #8
GaribaldisHair
First One

I guess so ...

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 07, 08:42   #9
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Hmmm, I thought the Battlestar Galactica from the original show and the one from the current show looked pretty much the same in the front. Haven't seen the one from the original show since that show first aired.[/IMG]
Well the pop-up window on the front is very, very reminiscent of the bridge windows on the originalt BSG (not the new one, which doesn't have windows), as is the general shape..
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 07, 13:34   #10
Recoil
First One

The thing about this is: yes, there is a vague resemblance in the front to the original (and new) Galactica. Now was this done intentionally? No chance in hell.

Its just a coincidence.

I think JMS did state that the Omega class cruisers were a "nod" to the Leonov in "2010: The Year we Make Contact."

But lets face it here, he put together a pretty freakin basic shuttle design. With all the scifi out there theres a good chance it would end up looking like SOMETHING. First thing I thought of when I saw the B5 shuttle was "Yep, thats a basic everyday shuttle"

Anything beyond that is just stretching the imagination a bit, and clearly wasn't intentional all.