• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Could Crusade Be Done With A New Cast???

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>My preference would be to have the entire cast back, and most of the actors have indicated that they'd be interested, with the exception of Gary Cole.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know why that business about Cole keeps getting reported as fact. As I noted in an earlier post in this thread, the only quote I've ever seen from Cole on the subject makes it clear that he liked the show, but didn't like the network- (or "nitwork") imposed production halts and changes. He also said that if he could choose one of his former series to make a comeback it would be American Gothic - an understandable preference given that villains are always more fun for actors to play than heroes. But nowhere did he say that he would not return to Crusade if they decided to resume production.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
But nowhere did he say that he would not return to Crusade if they decided to resume production.

Regards,

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if I was unclear. I only meant that he hadn't confirmed his interest, not that he wasn't interested.

In contrast to the other cast members, whom I know HAVE answered in the affirmative at least once.

How they will feel about it when and if it comes to fruition may be another thing already.

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

But nowhere did he say that he would not return to Crusade if they decided to resume production.

Thanks for that reminder, Joe, it seems a hard rumor to nail.

And if Gideonsmine (ha!) wants to see more of the Captain, she should try watching Kiss The Sky, where you get to see a LOT more than his knees
smile.gif

Plus a visit to the play he just did in La Jolla revealed just about all there is to see of our Captain. Only the judicious use of a towel and his right thigh at appropriate moments kept his modesty intact
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

Which means they could afford to drop them, pretend they never happened
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think JMS want to drop the 13 episodes. Don't you have some JMS postings on this, Joe?

I know I don't want them to drop 13 episodes for any reason. It's like doing a new B5 pilot, The Gathering, with a different storyline because you have a view different caracters. To me that's a fake.
I myself can never pretend they don't exist. They did, and they were great. When compared to the first 13 episodes of B5, I like these more.

------------------
"I don't watch TV. It’s a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media-elite."

i think u could but id prefer to see the hole cast back...

im all in for the hole dam thing being re done... though id equill like to see Seasion 2 start with the last 2 shows from seasion one but i dout it will ever happen

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Refa:
I don't think JMS want to drop the 13 episodes. Don't you have some JMS postings on this, Joe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IIRC, jms has said he'll deal with that problem when and if it happens.

Remember that most of the problems with Crusade were due to TNT, not JMS or his staff.

As far as letting things get "past" him, JMS is not the Big Boss logistically or financially. He has to answer to the network because he uses their money to make the show. He felt that any changes he made at their behest at first did not seriously affect the story. Only he is qualified to make that decision since he came up with it. At some point, he decided that the changes interfered too much.

JMS is probably busier now then he was when making Crusade. Jeremiah, comics, etc. Does that mean he shouldn't make Rangers?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Great points, G'Kars Eye.

No, I don't think he should avoid making Rangers because he may be busier now than he was when he made Crusade.

My point - possibly very badly constructed
tongue.gif
- was that I believe time away from Babylon 5 and it's Universe may have been essential to the success of any sequel series.

I really believe (falsley or correctly) that for the creative juices to remain fresh, a little distance is sometimes needed. If not to debrief on what has gone, then to recharge for what is to be created in the future.

But *shrugs*, just an opinion!
smile.gif

------------------
We are Grey... We stand between the Candle, and the Star...
Between Darkness, and the Light...

You're right about the "space for creative juices" thing. I was just disagreeing about us making that choice for JMS.

It's sick how I've become a JMS worshipper. I usually reserve that sort of adulation for brilliant musicians and gorgeous women.

------------------

*laughs*
laugh.gif

You know, G'KarsEye, you just made me think... how arrogant some of us are - myself included.

It IS so easy to sit back and make all these marvellous suggestions, and pass judgement. And the truth of it is, honestly, what right do we really have!?

THANK YOU, for providing me with that revelation.

Sometimes I conclude that the fans are far too willing in our criticsm.

Granted (someone will pick me up on it if I don't get there first) we are coming together to enjoy each others opinions, and to discuss something we love. However do we have a right to tell JMS or even suggest to JMS or each other how it should be done.

If we really assumed we were that good, could we not instead go off, put ourselves out there, and create our own series?

It's wonderful that we come together, but do we step over the line? Is it arrogance or merely a... quirk of human personality?

I have much to ponder.

Again, thank you.

------------------

I would like to start by saying that I agree with Joe on many of the options expressed in this tread!

But since this is an option thread, here is mine, for what it is worth:

Key to a restart of Crusade (remember this is just my option) is to get Peter Woodard back! Not only was Galen my favorite character, but I loved Peter's performance. This may sound a little overly dramtic, but I think Peter is one of the best actors in SF. And I say this with only seeing the handful of Crusade episodes he was in and CtA. (I also am think about his small, but powerful role in The Patriot) Peter gave (yes with JMS's word) Galen so much life. Peter showed us a very deep and layed character with the few lines he got. Honestly I would LOVE to see the a show starting Peter as Galen, about a wandering Techno Mage and his (mis)adventures thru the B5 universe!!! (Fanboy dream, I know, but hey I would watch it)

then the captain:
I would love to see Gary Cole return, but I think he would be the hardes to get back. He is a very talented actor who seems to always be working. His paycheck (which should be alot higher that it was in 1999) might just be too much.

As for the rest:
I think every one did a good job, and I do not like recasting, but none of the other actors had a chance to bond to the characters in my mind.

in addition,
I loved the use of the B5 character in guest/reaccuring roles. The episode with Franklin, and Lockley's appearence helped the show. If Crusade started again, I feel they need more B5 guest/reaccuring roles. Neroon, Na'Toth, Vir, Number One, etc.

thanks for reading
dw

------------------
I used to try really hard, then I found out that you can buy Trophies

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>You know, G'KarsEye, you just made me think... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, thank YOU. This is the single greatest compliment anyone can ever give me. In all seriousness, you have brightened my day.
smile.gif

------------------

I believe that Crusade would work well with another cast.

Either way, I believe it would benefit extensively from the time everyone has had to rest and reflect.

Crusade had potential, and if the Great Maker is with us, maybe we'll get to revisit the Exalibur again.

[This message has been edited by Catheryn (edited August 06, 2001).]

I guess from reading the posts above, that I am likely to draw fire.

I think Crusade was a mistake.

Not because of storyline, characters, acting, directing, or the differentdirection taken for a soundtrack. Just because it was too soon after Babylon 5, and in my unremarkable opinion, logic dictated that JMS needed a rest.

Someone (I think Joe) posted earlier that JMS was exhausted. I remember hearing about Crusade, being excited as all get out, and then sitting down and thinking - 'hold on, didn't he just write three seasons solo? Is he INSANE!!??'

I doubt that if JMS was up to full strength that the studio could have wangled so many screw up past him.

If Crusade were produced today, it would be the right time. And if it were to be produced today, I think it would benefit from an extensive over haul.

I enjoyed the cast, especially Max, Dureena and Galen, but I would watch it if none of the original characters were recast.

I believe it could be done either way, and if it is done, I believe everyone has had enough time away from the B5 Universe to make it something special.

Producing Star Trek consecutively for the last what? fifteen years? certainly hasn't made it any better. The audience needs quality, not saturation. I would hate to see something as unique as JMS's B5 Universe over exploited and strip mined.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dah'een (edited August 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dah'een (edited August 06, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dekion:
More pissed off everyday, you and me both.
mad.gif
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you got that right.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raven2032:
I hate it when shows come back with missing characters and stupid reasons as to why they left. If Crusade was brought back it would need the entire cast or all new characters. I like Joe's idea of the Excailibur adrift with the crew missing.

Bringing back some characters and not the others just makes the show look stupid. Even worse would be bringing back the same characters but with different actors.

If it was a brought back with a new crew the Galen/Durenna story could be continued but not as part of the crew, perhaps on their own search for Gideon and the crew independant from the Excalibur.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want my cast back period. Whole, intact, no changes in anything except those god awful TNT folks being gone gone gone.

Then whatever JmS had in mind, can take place, I am not interested in rewriting his stuff right now.

I just want my show. And I ain't about to give up until the final curtain falls.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon:

Thanks for that reminder, Joe, it seems a hard rumor to nail.

And if Gideonsmine (ha!) wants to see more of the Captain, she should try watching Kiss The Sky, where you get to see a LOT more than his knees
smile.gif

Plus a visit to the play he just did in La Jolla revealed just about all there is to see of our Captain. Only the judicious use of a towel and his right thigh at appropriate moments kept his modesty intact
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gulp . . . say what? is that a movie?

LOLOL

oh yeah, i want more, more more

LOL

rabid that's me

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Valenson11:

Key to a restart of Crusade (remember this is just my option) is to get Peter Woodard back! Not only was Galen my favorite character, but I loved Peter's performance. This may sound a little overly dramtic, but I think Peter is one of the best actors in SF.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I just say one thing? Max! Although I agree if I could only have one of the originals back again, I'd choose Peter Woodward as Galen, too. If I could have TWO, I'd want Max! (Sorry, I forget his name because no one else has mentioned him yet!)

I happen to like the female characters in Crusade a lot. But Max reminded me a bit of the dark hero of "Blake's 7" and I thought he added a much-needed dimension to the story. Someone who CAN'T be counted on to always do the "right" thing. Shamelessly egocentric and money-mad. I LOVED HIM for the fact that he was up-front and blatantly honest about himself and what he thought.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Why? It isn't as though Crusade were some kind of cultural icon. It is a show that lasted 13 episodes, has aired exactly twice in the United States and which hardly anyone (as numbers are counted in the television biz) ever saw.

. . . .
Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the aspect of the show not being around long enough to have built a cultural icon, I an odd sense I disagree. The fact that it is a JmS show (not some other new the genre writer), the fact that TNT (who we all know and hate) messed around with it to the point of ridiculousness, it oddly in the annals of sfi fi dom has a name for itself.

Oh and by the way -- I am not obsessive, I watched B5 for Michael O'Hare. I watched Crusade for Gary Cole.

I cannot in all honestly say I would watch Crusade without Gary Cole (I may as other characters were fascinating but i may like it without it being what I have been working so hard for, but that is personal and nothing else). He is the reason I actually bought (let alone watched) the Brady Bunch movie.

I had seen Michael O'Hare for years in plays and other things, developed a kinsmanship to the actor of the years and as a result I never cottoned to Sheridan. It was my fascination with the other characters that kept me coming back but I never stopped being upset over Michael's departure.

Personally I think with the nitwits being gone, the show in all honesty may be able to reach its potential. We shall see what, if anything happens.

Period.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Can I just say one thing? Max! Although I agree if I could only have one of the originals back again, I'd choose Peter Woodward as Galen, too. If I could have TWO, I'd want Max! (Sorry, I forget his name because no one else has mentioned him yet!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! Max, Max, Max... (played by David Allen Brooks, unless my memory has failed me yet again). Max and Galen were my favourites.

Although I must admit that story-wise, Galen would probably be more important, and I just can't imagine anyone else but Peter Woodward in that role. Same would go for Max though - he had just the perfect combination of cynicism and sexiness.
tongue.gif

Oh and before GideonsMine decides to strangle me (just kidding!
laugh.gif
), I have to agree that I'd want Gary Cole back as Gideon, too.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back