B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 7th 10, 18:18   #31
Caffran
Lurker

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Buffy is an excellent show. yes it had a rocky start but what show doesn't?

season two gets better as it moves along, especially when Faith shows up. season three is superb all the way through with a brilliant 'baddie'.
season four was never made so you can't watch it. I SAID IT DOES NOT EXIST!!! (except hush)
Five.... what can i say. the best of the lot. plus a huge change in the first ep that, looking at your commants so far, you won't buy for a second.
Six was abysmall apart from a few gems.
Seven, back on the right track, almost as good as five but too many pointless meanderings to quite top the pile.

In short, keep watching it will be worth it.

mostly.
Old June 7th 10, 18:38   #32
vacantlook

Don't forget about quick healing. The Slayer's got strength, agility, speed, prophetic dreams, and fast healing. Not Wolverine fast, but faster than a normal human.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 18:46   #33
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffran View Post
season two gets better as it moves along, especially when Faith shows up.
Faith doesn't show up until season 3.
Old June 7th 10, 19:21   #34
Caffran
Lurker

good catch, my bad
Old June 7th 10, 20:29   #35
GKarsEye
First One

Faith is that brunette from Bring It On right? Yeah.. like I said, I started watching this show because no matter what else happens, there are hot chicks and monsters. Seeing attractive young girls do a lot of kicking and hair-tossing is a very crucial aspect of this show for me.

I didn't notice any especially fast healing on Buffy's part, maybe they just didn't make a point of it yet.

It is a bit disorienting watching what is an essentially a comic book character without getting the origin story. Maybe if I'm in the mood I'll check out the movie or something at some point.

With the prophecies and the ancient monsters and the line of slayers, there's obviously the potential for a rich history of this universe, but at this point I don't really care if they get into it much. Usually those things disappoint.

Earlier today I though I'd be stuck working on all night on a project but do to managerial incompetence this effort has been delayed indefinitely, so I'll be able to knock out a bunch more Buffy tonight.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 20:38   #36
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Faith is that brunette from Bring It On right?
And also Echo on Dollhouse

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 20:49   #37
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
It is a bit disorienting watching what is an essentially a comic book character without getting the origin story. Maybe if I'm in the mood I'll check out the movie or something at some point.
I say avoid the movie unless you're totally high and are desperate for something to put your attention to. The shittiness of the movie was a major part of why I was dismissive of the for as long as i was.

They actually show a bit of Buffy's origin in the tv show, so you'll end up seeing some of it. It's not a super involved origin like Spider-man got bit by a spider or Ironman built a suit. It's more of a Buffy is the Slayer because she is, kinda like the X-Men, I guess, which makes sense because Joss Whedon has said that Kitty Pride/Shadowcat of the X-Men was a significant influence on him creating Buffy/wanting to do a strong female protagonist.
Old June 7th 10, 22:18   #38
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
I say avoid the movie unless you're totally high and are desperate for something to put your attention to.
We call that "Sunday night" here.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 10, 02:44   #39
admiraldave
First One

I actually kinda liked the movie. It was bad, but amusingly bad. Peewee Herman as a vampire? Luke Perry as proto-Xander? Donald Sutherland? I enjoyed it.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th 10, 04:51   #40
vacantlook

The movie as filmed dealt with Buffy's first Watcher differently than the way Joss wrote the script for the movie, much to my annoyance. The script was way better.

Spoiler for Buffy's first Watcher in the film and the script of the film:
In the film, Merrick is killed by Lothos using Merrick's stake. In the script though, Lothos plans on turning Merrick into a vampire and sending him to kill Buffy, but Merrick, learning this, shoots himself in the head to prevent Lothos from being able to turn him into a vampire.