B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 27th 10, 21:11   #161
vacantlook

Re: Anyone still watching Lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Wasn't that real short though?
3 seasons; 61 episodes total. According to what I've read, the two co-creators of the show began working on the story for the show in 2001. The first episode was shown on February 21, 2005; the last episode was shown on July 19, 2008.

Quote:
Also I don't know if you can compare cartoons to live action. You don't have actors potentially leaving/quitting/dying and so forth.
Actually, you do have actor problems. The actor that did the voice of one of the main characters -- Mako who voiced Uncle Iroh -- died of cancer as they were finishing up season two of the show. They adjusted by hiring a different actor -- Greg Baldwin -- to replace him who had specifically studied Mako's voice for a previous role he had done. For me, it took a while to get used to Baldwin's voice, despite how similar he sounds to Mako.

Last edited by vacantlook; May 27th 10 at 21:16.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th 10, 14:16   #162
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Wasn't that real short though?
3 seasons; 61 episodes total. According to what I've read, the two co-creators of the show began working on the story for the show in 2001. The first episode was shown on February 21, 2005; the last episode was shown on July 19, 2008.

Quote:
Also I don't know if you can compare cartoons to live action. You don't have actors potentially leaving/quitting/dying and so forth.
Actually, you do have actor problems. The actor that did the voice of one of the main characters -- Mako who voiced Uncle Iroh -- died of cancer as they were finishing up season two of the show. They adjusted by hiring a different actor -- Greg Baldwin -- to replace him who had specifically studied Mako's voice for a previous role he had done. For me, it took a while to get used to Baldwin's voice, despite how similar he sounds to Mako.
Sucks about the cancer dude.

3 seasons is short... isn't it 100 hundred episodes before something can be syndicated? Certainly shorter than the other series we're talking about, and half as long as Lost. But that's good- I've become a real fan of "short."

But in any case, even if changing the voice of a character is jarring (reminds me of Family Guy's bit about "wrong sounding muppets" after Jim Henson died), it's still easier to deal with than changing the voice and look and mannerisms of a real person.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 17:40   #163
Caffran
Lurker

Utterly completeley, thoroughly pissed off.

six years of my life wasted. i've a good mind to sue the bastards.

My own fault though. i knew when they 'moved the island' and the whole time travel bollox started, i knew then they didn't have a clue what the hell they were doing.

nothing relevant was explained, i'm inundated with questions as to what the hell it was all about.

i started rewatching the whole series in parallel with season six to try and see the clues from a new perspective. i got three episodes into season three when i watched the finale.

haven't watched an ep since. am now going to sell the dvd's on e-bay if anyones interested.

or use them as coasters.

so many questions....

1. what the hell IS the island? is it even an island?
2. what is the 'smoke monster'?
3. why were the dharma institute on the island?
4. how did they find it if no one can get there without jacob's invite?
5.who the hell were the others? where did they come from?
6.what the hell happened when the nuke exploded? or did it?
7. if not, why was the island sunk?
8. who built the statue and why? was it egyptian?
9. what lies in the shadow of the statue?
10.who built the temple and why? how did the people get there? they weren't the others so who the hell are they?
11. who the hell was desmond and why is he so important?
12. why was penny in the 'afterlife/purgatory/sideflash thing when to my knowledge she never ever set one foot on the island?

that's just of the top of my head sitting here now. i refuse to actually think of more because they robbed me of enough of my time already.

if any of you happen to have the answers to the above questions by all means post.

please. anyone....?
Old June 7th 10, 18:22   #164
GKarsEye
First One

All of your questions except #8 were answered on the show.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 18:34   #165
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffran View Post
1. what the hell IS the island? is it even an island?
2. what is the 'smoke monster'?
3. why were the dharma institute on the island?
4. how did they find it if no one can get there without jacob's invite?
5.who the hell were the others? where did they come from?
6.what the hell happened when the nuke exploded? or did it?
7. if not, why was the island sunk?
8. who built the statue and why? was it egyptian?
9. what lies in the shadow of the statue?
10.who built the temple and why? how did the people get there? they weren't the others so who the hell are they?
11. who the hell was desmond and why is he so important?
12. why was penny in the 'afterlife/purgatory/sideflash thing when to my knowledge she never ever set one foot on the island?
To the best of my ability to answer/understand based on what I've read.

1. It's a big, unexplained, "mysterious" island that has no actual explanation beyond being the location of some "mysterious" "electromagnetic energy." And that's rather stupid to me. If they wanted some unexplainable mysterious energy, they should've invented some. To call it electromagnetic is to define at as something very real and understandable because we, the body humanity, know you aren't getting time travel and miracle healing out of electromagnetism.

2. It's what's left over from taking a bath in the unexplained "mysterious" bathtub.

3. To study the "mysterious" electromagnetism of the island.

4. I assume someone was invited?

5. Weren't "the Others" Jacob's people? Or were they former Jacob's people who had switched to team Black?

6. The nuke exploded. It stopped the time travelling, I think.

7. The island never actually sunk. The sideways world in which it had sunk and thus the plane never crashed didn't actually happen. All that was a purgatory experience that all the Losties got to live through prior to moving on together to their afterlife.

8. The statue was just yet more "mystery." It's one of many things that gets referenced throughout the show that ultimately meant nothing and was never intended to mean anything. It was just there for flavor and color, and thus was stupid considering that they acted like it had something resembling significance. It didn't. It was completely unimportant.

9. 10. I have no idea.

11. He was apparently unaffected by the "mysterious" electromagnetism of the island because he had been so close to the "electromagnetic explosion" inside the hatch when he turned that emergency key back in season two I think it was.

12. I guess because the whole purgatory thing was supposed to be for those who were connected to pass over together, and she was connected to Desmond, and he was connected to the Losties. If he hadn't been there, she wouldn't have either, I guess.

Last edited by vacantlook; June 7th 10 at 18:37.
Old June 7th 10, 19:05   #166
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Jacob himself was what lied in the shadow of the Shadows.

Yes, a Dharmite was invited to the island.

The others were just other possible candidates and those who got stuck along for the ride. And yes, they were Jacob's people, but, Smokey manipulated them into doing his bidding without tehir knowledge

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 19:19   #167
Caffran
Lurker

1. exactly. while electromagnetic energy could knock a plane out of the sky (emp burst) ,as you said it can't initiate time travel, it can't move a volcanic island, and it certainly can't allow desmond to 'see' the future.

as an additional question, if jacob wnated 815 to crash he must have somehow influenced desmond to follow the other guy out on that particular day at that particular time so the energy was released.....bit convenient don't you think?

2.you mean the holy light in the waterfall thing yeah? something else never explained.

3.yes but how did they KNOW about the island if it's just a fantasy/ purgatory place?

4.so they were all dead too yes?

5.but WHERE did they come from? what was the point of the whole 'game' they were playing? jsut two kids having a bit of fun, what?

6.if it exploded why was the island still there? why were'nt jack etc. vaporised?

7.so the whole 'sideways'flash was just a waste of time? a way to bring back the characters who've died because it's the last series? bastards.

8. so why did it have four toes?

9.has nobody translated the spanish?

11.yes, and turning the key allowed him to 'see the future'. humans are already immune to electromagnetism so.....

12.okay. maybe i can buy that answer. not satisfying but at least it's an answer.

thanks vacantlook, you've answered one for me, which is more than the finale did.

G'karseye, please tell me where it's answered. seriously, no taking the piss. please tell me where the answers are, or tell me yourself 'cuase i am 'lost' no pun intended.
Old June 7th 10, 19:34   #168
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
1. exactly. while electromagnetic energy could knock a plane out of the sky (emp burst) ,as you said it can't initiate time travel, it can't move a volcanic island, and it certainly can't allow desmond to 'see' the future.

3.yes but how did they KNOW about the island if it's just a fantasy/ purgatory place?

4.so they were all dead too yes?
You misunderstood the Finale. Everything that happened on the island, actually happened. The Fantasy/Purgatory thingy was the Alternate Sideways Reality.

Quote:
5.but WHERE did they come from? what was the point of the whole 'game' they were playing? jsut two kids having a bit of fun, what?
Jealousy on MIB's part until Jacob killed him by turning him into the Smoke Monster, and then Revenge against his Jailer. jacob was MiB's Jailer.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th 10, 19:45   #169
vacantlook

Quote:
The island wasn't purgatory. The island was real. Purgatory was whatever anyone experienced in the flash-sideways. Whatever anyone in the sideways flashes experienced was something they experienced after they had died in the real world but prior to moving on to the afterlife.

Quote:
Jacob and Black crashed on the island and were raised by a "mysterious" woman. Who she was wasn't explained. She's just "mysterious." If I understand it correctly, once Black took a bath in the magic bathtub, he turned into the magic black cloud. He wanted off the island, but being a magic black cloud, as long as Jacob remained alive, Black couldn't leave. The "mysterious" rules of conduct prevented him from killing Jacob, so he had to find someone else to kill him for him.

Quote:
6.if it exploded why was the island still there? why were'nt jack etc. vaporised?
Becuase the "mysterious" "electromagnetic energy" magically kept it from destroying everything, I guess.

Quote:
8. so why did it have four toes?
Because it's "mysterious."

Quote:
11.yes, and turning the key allowed him to 'see the future'. humans are already immune to electromagnetism so.....
But this is "mysterious" "electromagnetism." It doesn't matter what actual, real electromagnetism is. Essentially what gets called electromagnetism in the show is really miscellaneous magic energy, but the writers decided to slap the word "electromagnetism" on it in order to pretend it was all sciencey and not so fantasy-ish like magic is.
Old June 7th 10, 19:56   #170
vacantlook

You know, thinking about the magical "electromagnetism," they would've been better off if they had instead just labeled their magic energy "dark energy." After all, "dark energy" is a cipher used in science that pretty much means nothing other than the universe has been observed to be expanding an an accelerating rate and we have no idea why. We don't know a damn thing about "dark energy," even to the point of whether or not it actually exists; it's just a place holder until we can figure out what's actually going on. They could have had all the sciencey goodness and not looked stupid for labelling their magic energy "electromagnetism."