B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old December 22nd 17, 05:39   #11
fyl2u
Lurker

Re: What was the original 5-year plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
It is pretty amazing that JMS could adjust to all sorts of changes (actors leaving, aliens or plots not working as you had hoped, your network destructing then a sudden extra season.

No one can say he wasn't flexible.

And it is great to know people are still discovering this wonderful series. Still one of the most amazing series I've ever seen.

And hello, fyl2u.
That sounds like there's an anecdote or two waiting to be told?
fyl2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd 17, 20:55   #12
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

For aliens, I think he abandoned N'Grath pretty quickly because he wasn't satisfied with the look. And he had to abandon the "Bureau 13" plotline (or more precisely fold it into others) because that term was already copyrighted.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 17, 05:30   #13
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
JMS had all sorts of contingencies for disruptions in cast, etc., and used several of them -- but I'll bet he didn't have a plan for "the network exploded but you'll still get to do the last season anyway."

Yea, as usual JMS seems to have been the first in the USA, at least. After B5, stories with arcs did suddenly become all the rage. Now, shows are being allowed to write a wrap up at least, or so it seems to me. It isn't like the old days where it was common for shows to just suddenly stop in the middle of cliff-hangers season finales.
Old December 29th 17, 05:36   #14
hypatia
First One

[QUOTE=fyl2u;459990]
Quote:

I think/hope JMS is writing a biography that may include some of those anecdotes. One involves the sudden departure of Sinclair due to the actor's health problems. Not only did the departure have to be written around, but his eventual fate turned into one of the best plot twists in television science fiction history. An amazing twist. And I don't think any of that was planned, not originally.
Old December 30th 17, 21:35   #15
b5historyman
Ranger

[QUOTE=hypatia;460027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyl2u View Post
Quote:

I think/hope JMS is writing a biography that may include some of those anecdotes. One involves the sudden departure of Sinclair due to the actor's health problems. Not only did the departure have to be written around, but his eventual fate turned into one of the best plot twists in television science fiction history. An amazing twist. And I don't think any of that was planned, not originally.
Michael’s leaving on Ill health grounds presented a problem as there was no out for Sinclair. So Joe did some fancy footwork on the keyboard and tweaked the arc. He exploited Sinclair’s connection to the Minbari and the missing 24 hour mystery, promising Michael that he would wrap Sinclair’s story arc in spectacular fashion.
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st 17, 03:04   #16
hypatia
First One

He certainly did that. And still got to follow something of his original story, too. Maybe not as impressive as the Valen backstory, but hey it did resolve a horrible cyclic war that wasted entire planetary systems. That's pretty good, too.

BIG
Old January 3rd 18, 00:47   #17
fyl2u
Lurker

Quote:
Oh? Was that why Sheridan arrived for season 2? I had been lead to believe by the guy that introduced me to B5 years ago that JMS had decided that there was too much plot to give to one character, so he split it between the two of them instead.

Or are both true and you're referring to something that happened later?
fyl2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 18, 13:54   #18
b5historyman
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyl2u View Post
Quote:
Oh? Was that why Sheridan arrived for season 2? I had been lead to believe by the guy that introduced me to B5 years ago that JMS had decided that there was too much plot to give to one character, so he split it between the two of them instead.

Or are both true and you're referring to something that happened later?
Joe is on record as saying had Sinclair stayed it would have been pushing credulity for him to have a connection to both the Shadows AND the Minbari, so planned to bring a Sheridan like character in during Season 2.

Interestingly in the pitch document from September 1989 Sinclair is described as a widower.
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote