B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old February 18th 17, 17:41   #11
HockeyPlayer47
First One

Re: Is it time to go beyond the rim?

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I still log in ever month or two just to see what's going on. I checked my profile and realized that I've been a part of this forum for over 15 years. I'm with KoshFan on this one. I'd hate to see it go, but I understand if the decision is made to shut her down...
Old February 19th 17, 22:19   #12
puzzle
Telepath

...compared to other communicatons channels, I rather like forums, but yes, this forum is next to abandoned, and forums are (relatively) high-maintenance because somebody has to keep the software up-to-date and keep an eye on how successful spambots are at registering...

...so of course I wonder if it's a significant maintenance work load. And, with no new development going on, does the software require patching often?

I wish I could offer advise, but I really can't. But I can tell a story:

Local anarchists where I operate, used to have a forum. It got created in 2006 when most of the crew was fresh out of high school. Data security practises were typical for the day and age, so most likely, it was a gold mine for cops (if they ever bothered, because my colleagues were light on illegality and heavy on other organizing). It got popular too, attracting as many as 500 simultaneous (human, not bot) visitors in the beginning. Then it dwindled down to a stable 20 or so. Of course we had trolls and at some point, the forum was really high-maintenance in terms of remaining open to everyone without getting overrun. Quite a lot of useful information got exchanged and... at some point about 5 years later, a generation effect seemed to hit it. You see, my colleagues have a fairly high political drop-out rate, either becoming all busy with raising a family, becoming entirely dormant or going off sideways either to hobbies (e.g. street art) or single issue politics (e.g. ecological topics) or downgrading from activism to community organizing. At the sharp part of the drop-out curve, people gradually moved to social networks (!) and talk eventally winded down. Those who needed real security also moved elsewhere (e.g. squatters: to e-mail and instant messaging).

As for that forum, it still exists, in case it might need to be activated on some occasion to draw more attention. But nobody in their right mind, and probably nobody among our crew, would ever dream of usin it for underground stuff again. For above-ground activism, maybe, on some peculiar day, it might even get restarted.

As of currently, that forum is getting about 3 spambot registrations per month, unless the admin has entirely closed registration. At some period, it also got hacked and restored from backups about once per two years. :P Partly due to admins being too busy (I was not among them) and partly because the really cheap hosting provider (!) had a habit of getting compromised.

So the only forums which are active and which I frequently visit, seem to be a model aviation and RC forum and a tech support forum these days. Used to be about 10, now down to 2.

As for me and this forum, I wish I had time, but I have created for myself so many projects and chores that I rarely do. So I stop to visit very rarely and very irregularly. Of course I would miss it, but I already do. And to be honest, losing access to this place would not unsettle my routines.

Last edited by puzzle; February 19th 17 at 22:24.
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th 17, 17:53   #13
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

It seems that a lot of people are saying, "Gosh, I'd miss it... but not a lot." With the exception of Jan's appeal for archiving the discussions, I haven't seen anyone actively campaigning to keep the site up and running. Nor have I seen anyone volunteer to help out with keeping it running, if it requires labor.

Now, we're hardly a quorum of all users, but the simple fact that nobody else has chimed in for the last two weeks tells us something. Since they have always been the most (hyper)active, the Babbleonians might have something to say about the proposed closure... but who knows if the rest of us would understand it?

It may be premature to call for a consensus, but what I'm seeing in this thread is general support for a farewell tour and then a good ending, hazard to navigation or not.

Markas is the admin and Anthony is the owner, though. I've just been around a long time.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st 17, 19:11   #14
Wulf
Ranger

They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass.

But more importantly, the avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 17, 05:15   #15
JonFrain
Commander

It's pretty impressive that this forum has lasted as long as it has really. It seems to overlap with the jmsnews forum anyway.

Maybe you could make your own subreddit or simply migrate over to jmsnews?
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 17, 09:19   #16
Psi Cop
Ranger

Send a message via Skype™ to Psi Cop

Normals just don't understand.
Old February 22nd 17, 15:35   #17
Jan
Psi Cop

Anybody from here is very welcome to join us over on JMSnews. New folks have to post an introduction and convince me they're fans of some form of JMS' work and then wait until their account get upgraded in order to post (sometimes a couple of days or so) but we're a small, friendly (and ad-free) group.

End commercial... ;-)
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 17, 01:59   #18
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Anybody from here is very welcome to join us over on JMSnews. New folks have to post an introduction and convince me they're fans of some form of JMS' work and then wait until their account get upgraded in order to post (sometimes a couple of days or so) but we're a small, friendly (and ad-free) group.

End commercial... ;-)
I registered, but the thread for new people to post an intro is closed. Are there no new registrations, or should we just email you or something else?
Old February 23rd 17, 10:52   #19
Jan
Psi Cop

Hi Hypatia,

Did you get the email from DougO? In the forum 'JMS News Information' the second item down is called 'Introductions'. That's where you should post. It's not closed and new members are welcome! If you still have trouble, PM me here with your user name and I'll see if DougO can clear you anyway.

See you there!
Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 17, 17:14   #20
vorlonlovechild
Commander

I'm kinda sad that this site may well be visiting the Maker. I still visit from time to time to see if anything is happening in the world of B5. Sad to see it go if that is to be its fate, but just like sheridan maybe it should just.......stop?

Oh well I suppose i'll have to hop on back over to JMS News for my fix.