B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Long Dark
A -- Excellent 41 95.35%
B -- Good 1 2.33%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th 16, 19:26   #31
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: The Coming Of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I must have an innocent mind, as I don't get most of them!
None of them are even a little overtly suggestive, really. But, as Wulf said, it's looking at the titles from the outlook of a teenager and giggling over words like 'come'.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 16, 03:02   #32
hypatia
First One

I don't think I want to know most of the references, actually.

Another thread headed to NC-17? Wow, it seems like that's been awhile.
Old January 20th 16, 15:25   #33
Wulf
Ranger

Yeah, not my most intellectually stimulating post, just a random thought that may or may not make others roll their eyes and smile. Or frown. Either way...

And yes, I don't know how I missed "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari".
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th 16, 11:24   #34
Mororless
Ranger

The Long Twilight Struggle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
Also I guess my opinion is somewhat colored by the fact that I know what the Centauri are about to get up to, so I don't see a difference between the Centauri now (as in, at the time of this conversation between G'Kar and Sheridan) and the Centauri who occupied the Narn homeworld, while in reality there has probably been a somewhat less imperialistic government in place for a while. Still, if they haven't even publicly apologized for conquering another people's world, trashing the place, and terrorizing the population, I can see why the previously terrorized would object to the leader of that government making a friendly visit to a place dedicated to peace.

One of the main principles of the later Interstellar Alliance is that if you can't play nice with others, you're out. I guess I feel strongly that the Centauri can't play nice with others. This particular emperor turns out to be the nicest guy but he's trapped in a system that won't let him be nice. There are other "nice" Centauri, like Vir and presumably millions of unnamed ones, but their leadership seems irredeemably evil in general, even without the Shadows' involvement. Inviting the Centauri emperor for a casual visit feels a little like inviting Genghis Khan to your space station ("you" being someone not belonging to a people conquered by him). It's not like there's going to be any negotiations.
I would say though that whilst the Centauri might not have given an official apology there policy very clearly had shifted away from imperialist expansion and towards appeasement of the Narns.

I think it plays very much into the story that G'kar is still a slave to his hatred of the Centauri until the apology is given. Afterall I think that its clear that a lot of Londo's motivation for dealing with the shadows isn't really out of a desire to "defeat" the Narns so much as it is a desire to escape what he see's as a likely future defeat by them. The tragedy is that its G'kars own previous actions that have ultimately helped lead to the chance of reconciliation being snatched away.
Mororless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 16, 10:17   #35
JonFrain
Commander

this one is close to flawless for me. Seeing sinclair made me realize how much I missed his presence. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he was very real to me in a way Sheridan never quite reached.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th 16, 11:38   #36
Mororless
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
this one is close to flawless for me. Seeing sinclair made me realize how much I missed his presence. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he was very real to me in a way Sheridan never quite reached.
Personally I think Sheridan felt more "real" in terms of feeling more fallible. I felt Sinclair had more gravitas but also generally the sense of a man with a destiny where as with Sheridan in command there felt like a much more "all bets are off" atmosphere.

It is a shame that Micheal O'Hares illness didn't allow him to feature a bit more post season 1 as I actually think he was if anything better suited to the Ranger One position. As Delenn became more humanised(literally and character wise) I think he could have played the role of the mysterious guide/mentor very well dropping into events every so often.

I think Sheridan in season 2 though really helped to make B5 one of the first TV shows to successfully sell the idea that things were going horribly wrong for the "good guys". Coming of Shadows and the latter parts of the season for me are really the basis of so much of the dramatic weight the story as a whole carried.

Last edited by Mororless; August 8th 16 at 06:50.
Old August 7th 16, 21:32   #37
JonFrain
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mororless View Post
Quote:
Personally I think Sheridan felt more "real" in terms of feeling more fallible. I felt Sinclair had more gravitas but also generally the sense of a man with a destiny where as with Sheridan in command there felt like a much more "all bets are off" atmosphere.

It is a shame that Micheal O'Hares illness didn't allow him to feature a bit more post season 1 as I actually think he was if anything better suited to the Ranger One position. As Delenn became more humanised(literally and character wise) I think he could have played the role of the mysterious guide/mentor very well dropping into events every so often.

I think Sheridan in season 2 though really helped to make B5 one of the first TV shows to successfully sell the idea that things were going horribly wrong for the "good guys". Coming with Shadows and the latter parts of the season for me are really the basis of so much of the dramatic weight the story as a whole carried.
Bruce definitely showed more range than O'Hare after it was all said and done. But as you stated, Sinclair had much more gravitas. I think it was partly due to the dialogue that Bruce was given early in season 2 that made him seem a bit goofy. I'm thinking of things like his scene when he wanted to give his big speech and no one was there and the "orange blossom" line at the end of Geometry of Shadows.

Bruce taking over was definitely better for the shows future as many just didn't take to sinclair. Many described him as wooden, which isn't really something i saw. If O'Hare had been more stable, it would have been great to see him as Ranger One several more times. When ITB was released I was really annoyed that they didn't film anything extra with Sinclair.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th 16, 01:38   #38
Mororless
Ranger

Quote:
Bruce definitely showed more range than O'Hare after it was all said and done. But as you stated, Sinclair had much more gravitas. I think it was partly due to the dialogue that Bruce was given early in season 2 that made him seem a bit goofy. I'm thinking of things like his scene when he wanted to give his big speech and no one was there and the "orange blossom" line at the end of Geometry of Shadows.

Bruce taking over was definitely better for the shows future as many just didn't take to sinclair. Many described him as wooden, which isn't really something i saw. If O'Hare had been more stable, it would have been great to see him as Ranger One several more times. When ITB was released I was really annoyed that they didn't film anything extra with Sinclair.
Sinclair was definitely portrayed as more self confident than Sheridan and IMHO more morally enlightened which gave the latter a lot more room to develop in.

A big issue as well IMHO is simply that the show as a whole shifted between season 1 and season 2. The opening season for me did I think have a more typical "TV stiffness" to it, certainly not as bad as something of the same era like Seaquest but it hadn't fully gotten past that. By season 2 I think we saw the cast as a whole being able to show more rounded personalities and indeed I think you can see that O'Hares performance in War Without End benefits from that.