B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 5th 16, 14:50   #51
JoeD80
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
Not really, I'm saying your reason has zero evidence and as usual you act like you know everything.
When this is where you set the level of conversation I have no reason to respond.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 20:16   #52
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,794
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
I know you keep up with his statements of recent years where I only catch snippets here and there. All I remembered was that he would write it in 2016, film in 2017 and use his own studio. I think the budget he quoted was $100 or $120 million? I'd say anything over $50 million would be too much to invest on a B5 film as even Ghostbusters couldn't ride it's name to profits with a $140 million or so budget.
At the risk of acting 'like I know everything', the original plan was to write it in 2015 and produce in 2016. And he intended (intends?) to invite WBs participation if they want in.

A hundred million seems perfectly in line with the line he drew in the sand that there'd be no more low-budget B5 projects.

As for Ghostbusters? Looking at IMDb (pro), the budget is estimated at $144MM and in three weeks they've grossed almost $110MM in the USA alone. I don't think there's any doubt it's going to make money.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 20:58   #53
JonFrain
Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 116
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
I know you keep up with his statements of recent years where I only catch snippets here and there. All I remembered was that he would write it in 2016, film in 2017 and use his own studio. I think the budget he quoted was $100 or $120 million? I'd say anything over $50 million would be too much to invest on a B5 film as even Ghostbusters couldn't ride it's name to profits with a $140 million or so budget.
At the risk of acting 'like I know everything', the original plan was to write it in 2015 and produce in 2016. And he intended (intends?) to invite WBs participation if they want in.

A hundred million seems perfectly in line with the line he drew in the sand that there'd be no more low-budget B5 projects.

As for Ghostbusters? Looking at IMDb (pro), the budget is estimated at $144MM and in three weeks they've grossed almost $110MM in the USA alone. I don't think there's any doubt it's going to make money.

Jan
LOL. Only Joe comes across that way.

They only make about 50% of the ticket gross and when you add in advertising costs (close to the same amount as the actual budget) they need to gross $400-$500 million to break even on GB.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 20:59   #54
JonFrain
Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 116
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
Not really, I'm saying your reason has zero evidence and as usual you act like you know everything.
When this is where you set the level of conversation I have no reason to respond.
If that's how you want to avoid the obvious hole in your WB infighting theory, sure.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 21:23   #55
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,794
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
LOL. Only Joe comes across that way.
Actually, I tend to agree with him. I had *no* idea what kind of 'evidence' you were looking for as to reasons why WB doesn't make licenses available. We know, from reputable reports, that they don't any longer. What difference does it make why?

Quote:
They only make about 50% of the ticket gross and when you add in advertising costs (close to the same amount as the actual budget) they need to gross $400-$500 million to break even on GB.
Uh-huh. And the figure I quoted was for the US only for only three weeks. The books are hardly closed on it yet.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 23:13   #56
JonFrain
Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 116
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
LOL. Only Joe comes across that way.
Actually, I tend to agree with him. I had *no* idea what kind of 'evidence' you were looking for as to reasons why WB doesn't make licenses available. We know, from reputable reports, that they don't any longer. What difference does it make why?

Quote:
They only make about 50% of the ticket gross and when you add in advertising costs (close to the same amount as the actual budget) they need to gross $400-$500 million to break even on GB.
Uh-huh. And the figure I quoted was for the US only for only three weeks. The books are hardly closed on it yet.
I just pointed out the holes in Joe's theory and he didn't like it apparently based on his response saying I was stuck in my own theory. The actual reason for WB stopping with licensing is interesting to speculate on.

As far Ghostbusters goes, they keep losing 40-50% on previous weeks sales numbers for that day which doesn't bode well for breaking even since they don't have China to bail them out like the Warcraft movie did. And we're talking about a MAJOR franchise in Ghostbusters which sells itself to a certain extent. Companies don't make movies to break even anyway.

Serenity is a better model to follow and it had a much more limited budget, wasn't nearly as long after the series ended and had Joss Whedon attached. Barring a major casting coup for a B5 film, it's just not a great gamble for investors at the price tag Joe is looking at.

Plus, the strength of the B5 story was its epic, serialized nature. George RR Martin turned down a film deal because of how much would have to be cut. Movies can't do what long running serialized dramas can in terms of epic payoffs. The B5 standalone films really didn't stand up very well, other than ITB which was strongly tied to the series arcs.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 16, 23:32   #57
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,794
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
I just pointed out the holes in Joe's theory and he didn't like it apparently based on his response saying I was stuck in my own theory. The actual reason for WB stopping with licensing is interesting to speculate on.
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Whatever holes you perceive, I guess you'll have to declare yourself a winner. Me, I'm still scratching my head over asking for 'evidence' of some sort.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 16, 09:19   #58
JonFrain
Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 116
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
I just pointed out the holes in Joe's theory and he didn't like it apparently based on his response saying I was stuck in my own theory. The actual reason for WB stopping with licensing is interesting to speculate on.
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Whatever holes you perceive, I guess you'll have to declare yourself a winner. Me, I'm still scratching my head over asking for 'evidence' of some sort.
Joe said:

"My understanding is that it is related to WB having many different competing branches. B5 was part of the PTEN branch and the show was produced independently of the WB studio (by Joe & Doug's studio); there is probably no branch in WB left to support it."

Which to me doesn't make sense as PTEN wasn't an issue for all of the merchandising and spinoffs that occurred after they were out of the picture starting with season 5. I simply asked for any evidence of his theory as there was direct evidence against it.

Anyway it's over. Nobody but WB has the actual reasons why they stopped licensing after the RPG went under. I simply made placed a couple of theories that weren't directly contradicted by the past.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 16, 17:45   #59
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,794
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

From what JMS has said a number of times recently, the licenses start at a hundred grand plus a cut of the proceeds. I think that's plenty of 'evidence' right there.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th 16, 20:26   #60
JonFrain
Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 116
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
From what JMS has said a number of times recently, the licenses start at a hundred grand plus a cut of the proceeds. I think that's plenty of 'evidence' right there.
evidence of infighting causing problems?

It was spurred by the statement that Big Finish being told that WB wasn't offering licenses at all.

Can we please just let this go and move on? Let Joe defend himself if he feels the desire.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM