B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 24th 16, 20:20   #21
hypatia
First One
 
hypatia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 27,289
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Both Midnight Nation and Rising Stars sound like they could make great films.

Thanks a lot for the update. Maybe no B5 now, but maybe some interesting stuff apart from that.
__________________
"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."
-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 16, 01:54   #22
Raw Shark
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 141
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

It would be nice if he would write a few more short stories for B5, just to let us know he's serious. I imagine he has many ideas for them.

And which piece of news is the one that we should be talking about for a long time? Is it possible JMS is involved in the tv series for Neil Gaiman's American Gods?

Raw Shark

"And what do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
Londo Mollari
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 16, 08:21   #23
vorlonlovechild
Commander
 
vorlonlovechild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Farsley, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 102
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

so.... no B5.

It's nice he's keeping himself busy tho.
__________________
I Used to be Circular Reason on JMS News in another life. Time flys eh?
vorlonlovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 16, 10:30   #24
Springer
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 391
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

I'm glad his eyesight has gotten better – if it had gotten worse I imagine it could have threatened to end his career, and then there definitely would have been no more B5. It sounds like it slowed his output down anyway, but now he's back at full stream, maybe if Rising Stars and Midnight Nation are a success, coupled with Sense8, it'll give him the 'street cred' he needs.

Jan, did JMS mention anything about Red Mars? Is it still going ahead and is he definitely off it?

Really interested in him writing some novels too. Have got OtherSyde (got him to sign my 1st edition Hb at one of the Wolf 359 conventions) and Demon Night so I'd be interested in reading more of novels from him.

Last edited by Springer; July 25th 16 at 10:32.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 02:30   #25
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,793
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
It would be nice if he would write a few more short stories for B5, just to let us know he's serious. I imagine he has many ideas for them.
He can't. Well, not without permission from and paying a hefty license fee to Warner Bros. And maybe not even then. More than one company has been told by WB that no licenses are available.

Quote:
And which piece of news is the one that we should be talking about for a long time? Is it possible JMS is involved in the tv series for Neil Gaiman's American Gods?
Leaving comics. And no, unless American Gods has something to do with Ray Bradbury, that's not it.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 02:39   #26
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,793
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I'm glad his eyesight has gotten better – if it had gotten worse I imagine it could have threatened to end his career, and then there definitely would have been no more B5. It sounds like it slowed his output down anyway, but now he's back at full stream, maybe if Rising Stars and Midnight Nation are a success, coupled with Sense8, it'll give him the 'street cred' he needs.
I don't remember if I caught that slide or not but his vision had gotten *really* bad. Like mud on a windshield bad. He showed a pic of what his screen would look like before and it was white on a black background and maybe a dozen words per screen.

Quote:
Jan, did JMS mention anything about Red Mars? Is it still going ahead and is he definitely off it?
He didn't mention it but from what I've seen online, he's off of it and a second showrunner also left and the project's on hold. Doubt if it'll get made, personally.

Quote:
Really interested in him writing some novels too. Have got OtherSyde (got him to sign my 1st edition Hb at one of the Wolf 359 conventions) and Demon Night so I'd be interested in reading more of novels from him.
Me, too.

Oh, and in case it wasn't there when y'all looked at the report, here's the link to the video I took. Sorry for the shakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_RJcV64ME

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; July 26th 16 at 10:03.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 04:49   #27
JoeD80
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 171
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
here's the link to the video I took.
I think the link is missing
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 10:03   #28
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,793
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
here's the link to the video I took.
I think the link is missing
Sorry - there now.
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 10:10   #29
Springer
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 391
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
It would be nice if he would write a few more short stories for B5, just to let us know he's serious. I imagine he has many ideas for them.
He can't. Well, not without permission from and paying a hefty license fee to Warner Bros. And maybe not even then. More than one company has been told by WB that no licenses are available.
Is this why there's never any new merchandise? Every year at SDCC there are all kinds of models, action figures and collectibles from all manner of older or obscure SF shows that still have a fanbase, but never anything from B5. I could never figure out whether it's because people have just forgotten about the show or whether JMS or Warners were somehow an obstacle to it.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th 16, 13:04   #30
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,793
Re: Has There Been Any News Re. The New B5 ~2016+~ Theatrical Movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Is this why there's never any new merchandise? Every year at SDCC there are all kinds of models, action figures and collectibles from all manner of older or obscure SF shows that still have a fanbase, but never anything from B5. I could never figure out whether it's because people have just forgotten about the show or whether JMS or Warners were somehow an obstacle to it.
The last thing that I'm aware of that had a license for anything B5-related was Mongoose with the RPG and proposed novels. After the novels fell though, Mongoose eventually dropped the license because it just wasn't cost effective. WB not only requires a large fee, they expect a part of the proceeds, too. For anything but a large company, it's just not worthwhile for a show that's been off the air for 15+ years.

What's majorly disappointing to me, though, is that I've been told by trustworthy sources that Big Finish, the folks who've done some wonderful audio dramas (especially Doctor Who) have asked about a license and were told none were available. It's as though WB just wants the show to disappear.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM