B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old January 13th 16, 18:52   #1
marajade
Lurker

Keep Calm and Take CONTROL

Ok, I’m going to go on rant….don’t really care if I’m the only one that feels this way (especially about a short lived secondary character) but I finally binged watched B5 and absolutely loved it. I really was into the Psi Corp episodes especially! With that said, the Talia Winters story arc bugged me. I actually liked the character. She started out so docile, ended up receiving hard core Telekinetic and Telepathy super powers (i.e. embedding a penny into a wall and blocking Bester) and started becoming dis-enfranchised with the Psi Corp. Clearly building her character up for the role Lyta took over. Alas, though it was short lived. The character was built up for two years and was dropped, with me (as a viewer) scratching my head. Even though Lyta, took over the telepath arc, I LOVED the ice queen known as Control!! The actress did such a great job of portraying that character and brought a different countenance to Talia 2.0. So when 3rd season rolled around, I was thinking "a hard core character like that would be showing up again for sure"….nope, then season 4…..nope….lost hope on Season 5. I totally did not believe Bester when he said she was dissected, especially since personnel for Department Sigma (formerly Bureau 13) were marked as deceased anyway and Bester actually does care about “his” telepaths. Besides, it would be just plain stupid to takeaway a loyal psi corp teek.
So (in the real world) I finally read some excerpts that JMS and the actress had a “falling out” back in the day and he would never “have the character show up in his universe again”. I know Andrea Thompson has since retired from acting and has taken up realty.

With that said, looking forward to the new Babylon 5 in production, I am actually holding out false hope that he will create it around the Telepath War and am hoping that a whole 20 years later, let frickin’ by gones be by gones and if AT would be willing to go back into acting for one final bru-ha-ha to give the character a worthy send off.

Talia/Control could follow a whole other arc and be the dark side of power over Lyta’s power of light and give her a run for her money. A trained teek by the corp and with Control’s hate…were talking a mix of Sylar (Heroes - TK surgery) + Starkiller (Force Unleashed bringing whole ships down out of the air) + Nick Scryer (Psi-Ops – Mind Drain) + The Movie Chronicle with some TK flight and maybe sprinkled with some John Shepard (Mass Effect – singularity creation) = Telekinetic Bad @ssery! Not to mention her enhanced telepathy, along with her “stunning” personality. That would bring a new dimension to the Telepath War and go figure…put the characters amorphic fate to rest. The takeaway - She would mess folks up something horrible, especially her fighting alongside Bester. Talk about a tag team!!

The only way they could stop a powerhouse like that…would be maybe Kosh’s crystal? Who knows….I think there could be a lot to work with.

Okay, Okay I even read the Psi Corp trilogy (which I think is at least 90% canon) and her fate was left questionable there too. Where Garibaldi, with all of his $$ and resources, never really knew the fate of Talia or even found her.
Even though this is how it goes in the entertainment industry, as a viewer, it was hard to get invested in a character (and loved the Control twist), to see where it was going, just to drop it.
Any way…there is my rant…signing off and yes I feel better now! #bringbacktaliawinters #controlTKbad@$$

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...8c9io1_500.png
marajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th 16, 11:32   #2
Springer
Ambassador

Re: Keep Calm and Take CONTROL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marajade View Post
So (in the real world) I finally read some excerpts that JMS and the actress had a “falling out” back in the day and he would never “have the character show up in his universe again”. I know Andrea Thompson has since retired from acting and has taken up realty.
[/url]
It wasn't a falling out as such, from what I understand.

Andrea Thompson wanted more screen time, but JMS wasn't willing to bend the story for her, so Thompson asked to leave to pursue other acting opportunities and JMS granted it. I don't know whether there were any plans to bring Talia back, but Andrea Thompson then got a regular role on NYPD Blue, and later became a news anchor so she might not have been available to come back anyway. I've never read JMS say Talia would never be mentioned in the story again, at least not out of spite - maybe out of practicalities if she was busy doing other things. Plus she was married to Jerry Doyle - were they in the process of getting divorced when she left, or was that after? That may have contributed to it a little, I don't know. But Andrea Thompson was at the 20th anniversary reunions with JMS and Jerry Doyle.

But I agree with you, I think we're in a minority amongst B5 fans but I really liked Talia's character and the actress more than Lyta (although in an ideal world they would have both stayed on the show).
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th 16, 23:51   #3
hypatia
First One

I never saw the two as being exclusive of each other. There's room for all kinds of people in the show, and both characters were excellently played, and had interesting stories. Works for me.
Old January 14th 16, 23:53   #4
marajade
Lurker

Yes, the divorce was after she left B5 (I think like 1997). I too read that she wanted more screen time and JMS just couldn't give that to her.

You are absolutely right though, Thompson has been super supportive of the fans and B5. I know she did many comic-cons and saw she was at the 20th anniversary reunions with those folks, so things might be better than I thought. Plus, a lot of time has gone by.

I am glad to know that there are other B5 fans out there like you that feel the same. The fact that I constantly find posts similar to mine let's me know it annoyed other folks too. I think the character never had a chance to come to fruition and now with the main story arc done, won't in the old sense. However, new life could be given to Talia/Control. At this point, I will take a book/comic, whatever but the best, if she could come back in the new B5. One can only hope!

Side Note: Andrea Thompson was good in NYPD Blue as well.
Old January 14th 16, 23:55   #5
marajade
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I never saw the two as being exclusive of each other. There's room for all kinds of people in the show, and both characters were excellently played, and had interesting stories. Works for me.
I second that! That's why I think it would be awesome to see the Telepath War. One is a powerhouse for light and the other dark.
Old January 15th 16, 16:25   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

JMS may have said that Talia wouldn't be back but that doesn't mean that he was holding a grudge against Andrea Thompson. There's no indication of that back in the day and definitely none in the B5 script books where he talks about the split and Pat Tallman's return as Lyta.

Whatever the future B5 movie is, we do know it's a reboot. JMS did talk about using some of the original cast as other characters, though, which I think would be really interesting.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 16, 12:15   #7
marajade
Lurker

JMS is going to use original cast members in the reboot? Cool!
Old January 18th 16, 17:17   #8
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by marajade View Post
JMS is going to use original cast members in the reboot? Cool!
I don't seem to have finished that sentence. What JMS mentioned was using original cast members *in other parts*. The one example he gave was that Bruce Boxleitner would be great as the Earth Alliance president...but he didn't say *which* Earth Alliance president!

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th 16, 13:15   #9
vorlonlovechild
Commander

I think BB would make a great evil president. Look at how he played his holgramatical evil twin in DOFS.
Old January 19th 16, 13:46   #10
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlonlovechild View Post
I think BB would make a great evil president. Look at how he played his holgramatical evil twin in DOFS.
I'm not sure I could take it seriously if he was cast in such a role in the reboot. It would feel a bit too much like a nod and a wink to the fans. That's going to be the danger with this. It either has to have strong links with the original series, or be something brand new.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote