B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Born To The Purple
A -- Excellent 23 46.94%
B -- Good 23 46.94%
C -- Average 3 6.12%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 13th 15, 19:19   #71
Springer
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: The Parliament Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

Londo's drunken scene was a little forced. He was acting drunk instead of making me believe he's drunk. Everybody's laughter was forced as well. Lots of overacting in these first few episodes.
You're a hard person to please Wulf! I actually quite like this episode mainly because of how fun it is.

Actually, for the drunk Londo scene, only Peter Jurasik and the director knew he was going to get up on the table - none of the other actors knew and it caught them by surprise. That's genuine laughter from Jerry and Claudia!

I think the scene at the end with all the people representing Earth's religions is probably aimed more at the viewer than the characters. I think JMS is just trying to make a point with it, a kind of visual representation of IDIC. And test Michael O'Hare's memory while he's at it he went all the way down the line and remembered everybody's name in one shot. There's a nice bit about it in the B5@20 anniversary book.

I wonder if Narn flesh is a bit more resilient than human flesh - otherwise you'd imagine it would hurt Na'Toth's foot, never mind G'Kar! But think about all the punishment meted out to G'Kar later on, such as the torture at the hands of Cartagia. Narn's are pretty tough.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 15, 20:57   #72
Wulf
Ranger

I've said in the other threads that I focus mainly on the negative stuff because it's easier to talk about than what I like. If something works for me I just kind of accept it, but if something stands out as odd then I comment on it.

I come across as mostly negative, but I really wouldn't keep watching if I weren't enjoying it. I'm just not very good at... What do you call those strings of words that aren't mean? Oh yeah, "compliments". Horrible at those.

For example, O'Hare's memory... The way I heard it, they went down the line *twice*. Most people would be impressed enough at that, but my brain forced me to go up to the Lurker's Guide and confirm. So I'm suitably impressed at the feat, but instead I come across negative. It's my curse. =]

I'm willing to accept that I misread the laughter. I think the part of Londo's performance that puts me off is that there's no slurring. He's yelling coherently until he just plops down his head, which is not my experience with pass-out drunks. But maybe the Centauri brain speech centers are unaffected by alcohol, who knows. Just my takeaway from the scene.

And this is obviously setting up G'Kar to be a rather tough fellow. It just seems that kicking metal spikes into your boss's throat is ill-advised.

All of that being said, I believe I skipped my normal disclaimer which is that I did like this episode. I've enjoyed (to varying degrees) all the episodes thus far which is a pleasant surprise. On my last rewatch I didn't really feel that the series got started until Season 2.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th 15, 16:04   #73
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
I've said in the other threads that I focus mainly on the negative stuff because it's easier to talk about than what I like. If something works for me I just kind of accept it, but if something stands out as odd then I comment on it.
We've all watched these episodes so many times that it becomes hard to find new things to say about them that are good, so it's only natural that we start to pick out details that don't quite work for us on the umpteenth viewing. I'm the same, but I try to ignore those faults so that I can keep enjoying the series. Otherwise I'd just start to get annoyed with it! I imagine most TV doesn't hold up to the kind of scrutiny we have given B5 over twenty years, so it's probably faring quite well.

I do really enjoy these discussions though, going into all the minutiae of the episodes. If there is a facet of an episode we don't like, it's often fascinating (to me anyway) finding out why that episode was the way it is: was it a choice of director or JMS, a budget problem, the limitation of a 40-minute TV show, a result of the era in which it was made or just a plain old mistake?

It also seems I'm quite rare in that I actually quite enjoy season 1 and really liked Sinclair. In some ways he's more relatable to me than Sheridan is, who is more of your typical TV hero. So I tend to give season 1 an easier ride than many people!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th 15, 17:44   #74
Wulf
Ranger

> try to ignore those faults so that I can keep enjoying the series.

I'm usually commenting on these threads the day after I've watched the episode. I'm sure I forget dozens of the random minutiae that my brain picks out while I'm watching but most of it doesn't really stick in my head for more than a moment. I don't let most of these thoughts interfere with my enjoyment of the show at the time, but they come back to me the next day as I'm thinking back on it.

> it's only natural that we start to pick out details that don't quite work for us on the umpteenth viewing

That's my take on these threads. Few people are truly 'complaining', but it's what every topic breaks down to when analyzed enough.

> really liked Sinclair

I'm definitely not ready to admit to that yet, but he's growing on me. When B5 was new, I'd started watching with Sheridan so I think he was "the one" through all my rewatches. It's been a while since my last rewatch so I think I'm approaching it all with a more open mind and fewer expectations.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th 15, 18:23   #75
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I'm quite fond of Sinclair as well. I always wish I could have seen more of him. He isn't a super charismatic leader or a great orator. He's just this sort of quiet, private guy who likes to spend his downtime alone his quarters with a drink and some poetry. He's not the kind of guy who'd vie for a spot on the shortlist for possible Babylon 5 commanding officers. He probably had to sit and think on that job offer for a while. If it hadn't been his starfury the Minbari had pulled in at the Line, he'd probably have lived a more quiet life out of the public eye. Well, actually he'd be dead, but let's say he survived the Line

Sheridan, on the other hand IS a charismatic leader and an orator. He's this hotshot EarthForce posterboy, kinda.

I like an introverted character. That is to say, I like to see some diversity in characters, and on Babylon each character has their own distinct personality, which is nice.

I was sad when Sinclair suddenly disappeared after Season 1, but I obviously also like the Sheridan character. My mom was quite upset, too, when I set her up with Season 2 VHS tapes. I think she called me to complain