B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Sic Transit Vir
A -- Excellent 7 28.00%
B -- Good 14 56.00%
C -- Average 4 16.00%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21st 10, 22:37   #11
JoeD80
Commander

Re: EpDis: Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn View Post
However, the new ambassador doesn't appear to recognize his colleague's presence.
Nope, he doesn't know where Kosh is. He assumed Lyta would have him.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th 11, 02:45   #12
Alioth
Commander

[Kosh]Is there a problem?[/Kosh]

Anyone else jump a little in their seat when they first heard that? Lol.

Also, is it ever said anywhere else (a book or whatever) what that writing on Ulkesh's ship, when they encountered Sheridan on his space-walk, said? That was one incredible scene. I thought it would prelude a new meaningful connection between the new Vorlon and Sheridan, but that would never happen....
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th 11, 23:35   #13
RW7427

Maybe it said something "Eat at Joes" or "How do you like my ride? Spiffy ain't it?"
Old April 7th 11, 22:54   #14
hypatia
First One

As long as it doesn't say "Human Exterminators, available cheap!"

But that would be stealing the Shadow's act.
Old April 17th 11, 14:56   #15
C.L.U.
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
[Kosh]Is there a problem?[/Kosh]

Anyone else jump a little in their seat when they first heard that? Lol.
Yeah, that was a cool surprise.
C.L.U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th 15, 02:55   #16
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

It's a decent semi-arc episode. The Walkabout story is not terribly exciting. It gives us some more insight into Dr. Franklin's personality and all the stuff he's going through. I'm not sure we really NEEDED that at this point, but it's OK. It's not horrible and I quite enjoyed the songs Cailin performed (I did not realize JMS wrote those, I just read that in the Lurker's Guide a few minutes ago). But, there's a victory against the Shadows in this episode, so that's a pretty big deal. And then there's the new Kosh ...

New Kosh is kind of scary. He's not very nice to Lyta. She seemed pretty happy when she returned from the Vorlon homeworld, so presumably this isn't the way the Vorlons normally treat her. Perhaps it is as she says, they are upset by Kosh's death. I like the appropriate encounter suit design. I never quite could work out what the deal is with the Vorlon ship and how it pops up to say hi (?) to Sheridan. Is Sheridan supposed to be able to read the words on the side of the ship? I checked the Lurker's Guide, but it appears as though this isn't anything really important. I'd really like to know what happened there! Also, do you think it freaked out people in C&C when that ship didn't start docking, but instead randomly shot up like that?

It's a good thing it was Sheridan who ran over to Lyta to check on her after she collapsed. Otherwise she wouldn't have seen Kosh's death and gotten all angry and things would have ended rather badly. I was pleased to see G'Kar arrive, and that he brought the cavalry. I'm quite surprised that that Narn cruiser was able to do so much damage to the Shadow ship. Ok, so we can't actually see what damage it is doing, but it stopped the ship from pursuing the White Star, in any case.

As for the Walkabout story ... Leave it to Dr. Franklin to totally butt into someone else's life after just meeting them, and while still in bed with them. Not even just about the drinking (look who's talking!), but even before that, when he's telling her that she shouldn't be living there like she is, as though she isn't an autonomous person perfectly capable of making her own decisions. I guess she was in too much pain to kick him out of the bed
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th 15, 02:39   #17
hypatia
First One

That's a pretty harsh character summary of Franklin, but your points are all valid. It's all perspective, I guess. Franklin is not exactly perfect, but at least he keeps making the same mistake with the same noble intentions. And he's not exactly lazy about giving the support needed.

He just tends to forget he isn't, after all, a Vorlon.
Old February 16th 15, 03:26   #18
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Hah, yes, I suppose it does sound (read) a bit harsh He's obviously a very well-intentioned person, willing to go to great lengths to stand by his principles. He didn't want to hand over his notes on the Minbari during the war so as to not contribute to the creation of biological weapons, or whatever else the military might come up with, he was running the underground railroad for the rogue telepaths, and that free clinic downbelow. He was ready to go into the isolab when the Drafa plague was killing all the Markab, .. There's lots of good things to say about him.

To be honest, I am totally with him when it comes to his actions in "Believers", too. I would put that in the same category as all the stuff above, even if it obviously didn't end well. He did his very best to save that kid. I don't think he could have done anything else, because he is so dedicated to his job, to helping people (sentient beings).

But, he clearly has has his faults like the rest of us, and they come to the foreground more when he's dealing with his stim problem. He was being a total ass to Cailin, at least at first.

I didn't start commenting here, until halfway through the second season of this re-watch. I started JUST after "The Long Dark", which is probably a good thing because that's where I would have been the harshest on Dr. Franklin. He's totally inappropriate and creepy in that
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th 15, 02:17   #19
hypatia
First One

Yea, Franklin could be kind of creepy, I agree completely. And he had to be flawed somehow, in some ways he's the least flawed of all the B5 characters. Which is boring, of course.
Old February 17th 15, 17:43   #20
Jan
Psi Cop

Not this episode but I thought this 'Believers' quote explained a lot about Franklin:

Quote:
People come to doctors because
they want us to be gods. They
want us to 'make it better' or
'make it not so.' They want to be
healed. Whatever, they want, they
come to me when their prayers
aren't enough.
(the heart of it)
Well, if I have to take the
responsibility, then I claim the
authority too.
It's why he's so consumed by his work and also why nobody and nothing else gets close to him.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote