B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 31st 14, 19:13   #41
hypatia
First One

Re: How would you reboot B5?

I suspect it will mean that twist is gone, since it was not part of the original plan. Departing from it would probably help make the remake more it's own thing.

But I just loved that twist to the real-history/myth question.

I admit, I will have a hard time with a non-Andreas-K person playing G'Kar. And how can anyone else possibly pull off Londo?
Old August 31st 14, 19:29   #42
Jan
Psi Cop

Apologies if I've posted this here before but here's what JMS said about reboots (and G'Kar) back in 2011 when the reboot series failed to materialize. Sadly, I didn't keep a link to the entire thread on Facebook and it's pretty impossible to find anymore.

Quote:
Doran, the reason I asked the question -- and if you come in here loaded for bear and start throwing around assumptions without a shred of actual, specific information you deserve the reply you get -- is that I wanted to see if you had an informed opinion or if you had no idea what the hell you were talking about. It's the latter.

If you or anyone else thinks that I'm going to simply redo the exact same story (your accusation) in the same way," same characters, same start point" (your words again)...that person is an idiot. There would be no point. Zero, none, nada.

Take G'Kar, for instance. In my notes, there is no new character named G'Kar because for my money, no one else can ever BE G'Kar, so G'Kar is a religious figure, a legend, not unlike G'Quon. Did you know that? No. Why? Because you don't have the freaking pages in front of you and you're acting like a hysteric.

Despite what some folks say, the fact is that saying "reboot" is like saying "science fiction," it means what you're pointing at, and there are all kinds of permutations of what that means. It (and remember we're talking about something that is not currently on the boards) can't be a straight-ahead sequel because the market can't sustain it when the show hasn't been on the air in the US in over a decade. That's never, ever going to fly. It can't be called Babylon 5 if there isn't a place called Babylon 5, so the station has to be in existence, otherwise you can't use that name. You could do a show about the telepath war, but you couldn't call it Babylon 5 unless there's a Babylon 5 there, otherwise it'll confuse the hell out of new audiences (oh, that's named for a station that used to be there in another series you never saw).

The challenge I set for myself in this is very simple: knowing what I know now, having grown a lot as a writer since 1992 (or for that matter the late 80s when I started writing the pilot), having the experience of the original show in what worked and what didn't, and with all the technology available to us now that wasn't there in 1992, if I were to put the show together right now, what would it look like? That, for my money, is what a reboot is.

So no, I don't like it when you come in here, Doran, and make baseless accusations about something you actually know nothing at all about. You made a direct statement that I was going to do the same thing in the same way with the same characters all over again, and that has NOTHING to do with what I have (or had) in mind.

You ask a smart-alec question, you get a smart-alec response. If you come in loaded for bear don't expect me to be a stationary target for your comments. And don't hide behind the "well, fans have a right to know" thing because I've been keeping the fans accurately in the know for decades. I respect the fans too much to do otherwise. The poor behavior is yours for making an accusation that had nothing to do with facts. Yes, fans have a right to speculate, and should, but when speculation arises, one asks a question, one doesn't come in with an accusation. There's this notion that I've fought for years, that a person can come into a web site or page and be as offensive or patronizing as they want, but if the other person responds in the way ANYONE would respond if you pulled that crap in person, somehow THAT'S the offense. Sorry, I don't buy into the bullshit.

If you want to know something, ask a fair question and I'll always provide a fair and reasoned response. I've been doing it since 1992. Act like a jerk, and I'll call you on it every time.

To everyone who is not Doran: we're talking about something that's a moot point at the moment anyway. The discussions I'm having with the studio are business oriented regarding B5 and not in terms of a specific new show or a new project. It may be a year before any of those talks go anywhere. So can we not burn down the town over something that's not actually being discussed at the moment?
Emphasis mine. I don't think we're gonna get a remake in the classical sense at all. Don't know what it'll be, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 14, 20:30   #43
ranger phil
Ranger

so am I.
Old August 31st 14, 22:59   #44
hypatia
First One

I had forgotten how angry he got at some questions.

I have seen remakes and they usually did reuse the same characters. Silly me, for asking, but his won't use the same characters.

O.K.

Last edited by hypatia; August 31st 14 at 23:05.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st 14, 03:43   #45
KoshN

I'll be in the car, asleep. Wake me in 2016.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st 14, 04:43   #46
JonFrain
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Apologies if I've posted this here before but here's what JMS said about reboots (and G'Kar) back in 2011 when the reboot series failed to materialize. Sadly, I didn't keep a link to the entire thread on Facebook and it's pretty impossible to find anymore.

Quote:
Doran, the reason I asked the question -- and if you come in here loaded for bear and start throwing around assumptions without a shred of actual, specific information you deserve the reply you get -- is that I wanted to see if you had an informed opinion or if you had no idea what the hell you were talking about. It's the latter.

If you or anyone else thinks that I'm going to simply redo the exact same story (your accusation) in the same way," same characters, same start point" (your words again)...that person is an idiot. There would be no point. Zero, none, nada.

Take G'Kar, for instance. In my notes, there is no new character named G'Kar because for my money, no one else can ever BE G'Kar, so G'Kar is a religious figure, a legend, not unlike G'Quon. Did you know that? No. Why? Because you don't have the freaking pages in front of you and you're acting like a hysteric.

Despite what some folks say, the fact is that saying "reboot" is like saying "science fiction," it means what you're pointing at, and there are all kinds of permutations of what that means. It (and remember we're talking about something that is not currently on the boards) can't be a straight-ahead sequel because the market can't sustain it when the show hasn't been on the air in the US in over a decade. That's never, ever going to fly. It can't be called Babylon 5 if there isn't a place called Babylon 5, so the station has to be in existence, otherwise you can't use that name. You could do a show about the telepath war, but you couldn't call it Babylon 5 unless there's a Babylon 5 there, otherwise it'll confuse the hell out of new audiences (oh, that's named for a station that used to be there in another series you never saw).

The challenge I set for myself in this is very simple: knowing what I know now, having grown a lot as a writer since 1992 (or for that matter the late 80s when I started writing the pilot), having the experience of the original show in what worked and what didn't, and with all the technology available to us now that wasn't there in 1992, if I were to put the show together right now, what would it look like? That, for my money, is what a reboot is.

So no, I don't like it when you come in here, Doran, and make baseless accusations about something you actually know nothing at all about. You made a direct statement that I was going to do the same thing in the same way with the same characters all over again, and that has NOTHING to do with what I have (or had) in mind.

You ask a smart-alec question, you get a smart-alec response. If you come in loaded for bear don't expect me to be a stationary target for your comments. And don't hide behind the "well, fans have a right to know" thing because I've been keeping the fans accurately in the know for decades. I respect the fans too much to do otherwise. The poor behavior is yours for making an accusation that had nothing to do with facts. Yes, fans have a right to speculate, and should, but when speculation arises, one asks a question, one doesn't come in with an accusation. There's this notion that I've fought for years, that a person can come into a web site or page and be as offensive or patronizing as they want, but if the other person responds in the way ANYONE would respond if you pulled that crap in person, somehow THAT'S the offense. Sorry, I don't buy into the bullshit.

If you want to know something, ask a fair question and I'll always provide a fair and reasoned response. I've been doing it since 1992. Act like a jerk, and I'll call you on it every time.

To everyone who is not Doran: we're talking about something that's a moot point at the moment anyway. The discussions I'm having with the studio are business oriented regarding B5 and not in terms of a specific new show or a new project. It may be a year before any of those talks go anywhere. So can we not burn down the town over something that's not actually being discussed at the moment?
Emphasis mine. I don't think we're gonna get a remake in the classical sense at all. Don't know what it'll be, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Jan
Sounds like a re-imagining rather than reboot but that's just semantics I guess.

And yeah he flies off the handle sometimes. But I guess that's a consequence of his passion.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st 14, 10:59   #47
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I had forgotten how angry he got at some questions.

I have seen remakes and they usually did reuse the same characters. Silly me, for asking, but his won't use the same characters.

O.K.
As I recall, his response was strong but not out of line at all. Somebody had gone on his FB page and repeatedly posted uninformed guesses as fact and then proceeded to criticize from there.When called on it, the poster got snarky. Not terribly bright on the man's own page.

I'm guessing that he will be using some, if not most of the same characters, just not the original actors in their original roles due to their ages now. But one reason I'm especially looking forward to it is because he's said he wants to use the original actors in other roles.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; September 1st 14 at 11:48.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd 14, 01:29   #48
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Although, a LOT of his B5 themes and material does get recycled into his earlier comics work, sometimes almost verbatim.
Some themes have always been explored by his work, starting as early as He-Man with stories of self-sacrifice ("Origin of the Sorceress".). His "we are grey; between the candle and the star" speech was in fact in Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors long before it was in Babylon 5. But the whole feel of Babylon 5 is its own story I think. Scenes are re-interpreted and moved to different contexts bringing out different emotions.

Last edited by JoeD80; September 2nd 14 at 01:56.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th 14, 11:26   #49
vorlonlovechild
Commander

I was reading the 'supposed' original B5 / B Prime notes and thought ''that could work''.

With todays tech and with a top notch group of acting talent it might just well be utterly brilliant.
Old September 16th 14, 16:56   #50
JoeD80
Commander

What does "supposed'" mean? Joe wrote this early in season one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS 9/25/93
Just recently, btw, I gave Larry DiTillio a printout with just a little of the coming 5 year arc...if he's going to story edit, he needs to know what lines not to cross, and I can't ride herd on that all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS 4/9/94
Three people have seen a ten-page synopsis of the full five-year story, and are sworn to absolute secrecy about it. Larry, as I mentioned earlier, read it, and his first reaction was, "You're out of your f*****g mind." A second person began crying at the end of it.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote