B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Would you buy OS X?
A -- Excellent 3 10.34%
B -- Good 16 55.17%
C -- Average 9 31.03%
D -- Poor 1 3.45%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25th 05, 05:41   #21
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: Acts Of Sacrifice

I think one problem a lot of space stories have is background alien species: aliens designed to be in the background of many shots that just don't have anywhere near as much thought and love and energy as aliens designed to be main characters have. And as such, they kinda end up sucking. The Lumati, while being kinda funny for one episode, end up such. Just take a look at their visual design: it's just miscellaneous face prosthetics: kinda boring.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 05, 13:16   #22
RW7427

And this is why the Drazi are so lovely?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th 05, 15:58   #23
B5obsessive
Ranger

I really love this one, and I side with those who like "the agreement". I know B5 is a smart show, but not every moment has to be intellectual. This is just a bit of silly fun. It fits with Susan's "alternative diplomacy" thing that she started with the Drazi too
B5obsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 10, 21:39   #24
Estelyn
Commander

I too must chime in with those who think the "sex" scene is silly. It is also illogical - Ivanova suggested that it could be too strenuous for the Lumati, but he had almost no action at all. I can appreciate the opportunity to see Ivanova from a different (very sexy!) side, but that scene should have been written more skilfully. The punch line with the gift is amusing though...

I did like Mollari's part in this episode. His lonesomeness, which will continue throughout the rest of his life, almost makes me feel sorry for him. He desperately wants friendship, respect - and has become "a wishing well on legs" - a nice, apt description!

G'Kar's change of character already begins here, his movement from a warmonger to a seeker for peace.
Old August 24th 10, 08:33   #25
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn View Post
...Ivanova suggested that it could be too strenuous for the Lumati, but he had almost no action at all....
That was just part of the sell, part of the hype, part of the performance; Ivanova didn't actually plan on doing something that would be too strenuous for him. It was kind of an ego attack, making him more willing to go along in order to prove he can handle the strenuoucity. It was a bit of a foot-in-the-door manipulation on Ivanova's part.
Old March 25th 11, 02:41   #26
Alioth
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Quote:
With the Lumati being quite into the ideals of evolution and natural selection, I wonder if way back in their history if they had had some exposure to Shadows that built their social philosophy.
Even if they didn't, it's a fantastic bit of classic B5 foreshadowing.
Yeah, "Earth is making interesting new friends", is how I saw this episode (second viewing after knowing how the arc goes). Like ideologies were slowly gathering.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th 11, 02:59   #27
vacantlook

Like the Lumati's social philosophy could reveal a history of Shadow influence in their species, I also think that we see that with another species too: the Drazi. With the whole Purple-Green conflict, there is really no reason behind that beyond having a conflict to see who'll win in the end, and the winners then proceed to rule their government for the next period until they engage in the conflict again years down the road.
Old March 26th 11, 15:09   #28
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Like the Lumati's social philosophy could reveal a history of Shadow influence in their species, I also think that we see that with another species too: the Drazi. With the whole Purple-Green conflict, there is really no reason behind that beyond having a conflict to see who'll win in the end, and the winners then proceed to rule their government for the next period until they engage in the conflict again years down the road.
I never made that connection between the Drazi and the Shadows before, VL. But now that you mention it, it does make sense.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, then doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 13, 01:04   #29
Orion
Lurker

Just watched this ep again after so many years. I remember watching this for the first time and really hoping that Londo made a reconnect with Garibaldi, and stepped back from the dark turn he made. Oh well
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote