B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 20th 10, 21:09   #1
AntonyF
Administrator

Aborted v4 upgrade today

A few of you may have seen B5TV change today... then change back! Here's the situation.

vBulletin has brought out v4. For a full upgrade, it seems to do very little indeed. However as I managed four vBulletins (including this and TrekBBS) I decided to upgrade B5TV as a test to see what it was like.

I was as underwealmed as I suspected. The product has not moved on at all. On a code-level it was different, but for us as end users and admins there was negligle difference.

But due to the new look, they changed the styles completely which means I'd have had to rebuilt the entire look of the site (colours and all) in a very clumsy system with no documentation. YAY!

But while I was prepared to put in the time for change, I found out tonight that vBulletin has changed its upgrade price from $40 to $175. This is ridiculous, particularly across the four boards I manage. I don't thikn the upgrade was worth $40... but would have paid it, as I like vBulletin. But $175... ha ha ha ha.

So I will investigate alternative boards in the future. But it seemed pointless thus investing time into getting v4 running, so decided to revert B5TV to v3.

There are a few posts lost, but I took notes of their content and will PM the people concerned so they can repost them.
Old March 20th 10, 21:57   #2
RW7427

Re: Aborted v4 upgrade today

I wondered about how many people whinned because they didn't like the new look or didn't like how to navigate the new board. Just like the tons of people that did when Facebook changed their look. I can't tell you how many of my FB friends whinned about the new Facebook and even joined groups trying to get them to change it back. (It didn't work BTW....they haven't changed it back yet )

Me, I don't let stuff like that bother me. I personally like the look and feel of B5TV the way it is now, and the new look was weird indeed. But I've been around enough boards in the almost 10 years that I've been posting that I'm used to changes and different looks and so on, and getting used to navigating around a new or changed board isn't that difficult.
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, then doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th 10, 23:51   #3
Jade Jaguar
First One

I think it is fine the way it is. When I go on other boards that aren't vBulletin, I wish they were. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 10, 01:26   #4
fisheggs
Techno-mage

First. Thanks for the board. You,ve gathered and sustained an interesting and assorted community. And you have such wonderfull (ad)minnions.

Seems VB has got microsoft disease: change and charge.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 10, 01:49   #5
RW7427

Quote:
And you have such wonderfull (ad)minnions.
One of Fishy's hobbies is trying to annoy Babbleon's moderator.

If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, then doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
Old March 22nd 10, 02:13   #6
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Everyone needs a hobby. Especially one they're good at.

I only tease friends, foes are treated with extreme "politeness".

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 10, 23:42   #7
RW7427

Thanks, and I like you too.
Old November 20th 10, 04:48   #8
hypatia
First One

All I notice is that I am having difficulty staying logged in. It keeps logging me out, for some reason. The problem could be on my end, however, since my small laptop was possessed awhile ago.
Old September 8th 12, 11:34   #9
Galeon 7
Ambassador

HLBB upgraded to the new version. In addition to being victimized by that hack earlier, their new board is plain shit!

Holly, Red Dwarf's AI
Galeon 7 is offline   Reply With Quote