B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 22nd 12, 19:34   #11
Teep Trick
Ranger

Re: JMS' Viewing Order

Thanks for the responses Kribu and KoshN, now I shall also try to fix my avatar...
Teep Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 13, 05:53   #12
JonFrain
Ranger

Interesting. I have a feeling I'll be doing a series rewatch by Christmas, at least of the major arc related episodes. I always thought that I'd watch "in the Beginning" right after Atonement as I believe that's the last regular season episode to reveal everything that ITB spoils. Watching it before the series seems like a big mistake for first time viewers.

TKO and Legacies right before Chrysalis seems to really weaken the end of the season to me.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 13, 21:45   #13
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
Interesting. I have a feeling I'll be doing a series rewatch by Christmas, at least of the major arc related episodes. I always thought that I'd watch "in the Beginning" right after Atonement as I believe that's the last regular season episode to reveal everything that ITB spoils. Watching it before the series seems like a big mistake for first time viewers.

TKO and Legacies right before Chrysalis seems to really weaken the end of the season to me.
I agree. IttB works better as a flashback than an introduction.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 13, 07:00   #14
fisheggs
Techno-mage

It really depends on whether it's a first run view or whether you've watched B5 more than once.In a Re-viewing, I'd place ITB first, for chronalogical reasons, because I know the secrets. As an introduction, it's not bad. Not good, mind you, but doesn't really spoil the suprises to come.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th 13, 03:22   #15
JonFrain
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheggs View Post
It really depends on whether it's a first run view or whether you've watched B5 more than once.In a Re-viewing, I'd place ITB first, for chronalogical reasons, because I know the secrets. As an introduction, it's not bad. Not good, mind you, but doesn't really spoil the suprises to come.
It spoils Sinclair, the earth minbari war cause and the role of the vorlons. That's way too much to spoil for first time viewers. Up until the Coming of shadows we really don't know what the Vorlons role is or plans for us are.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 14, 15:54   #16
AlanMoore
Lurker

I'm trying to see B5 for the first time. Before I begin, I'm trying to find the right order, but it seems it's not that simple, a situation worst than The Prisoner episodes order.
In your experience, (and without giving me too many explanations because of spoilers ) do you reckon the JMS' one is the right viewing order to follow?
It seems very odd to me to see the season finale of 4th season as the series finale... Too timey-wimey, if you allow me

Sorry for the english and thanks
AlanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 14, 22:36   #17
Jan
Psi Cop

Really, don't worry about it in the slightest. Watch 'The Gathering' and then the episodes in the order they come on the DVDs and simply get immersed in the story for the first time. You won't really appreciate the nuances until the second time, anyway so just concentrate on it as presented in the simplest way possible - which is how those of us who watched it in its first run saw it.

Enjoy. I envy you your first two viewings!

Jan
Old March 17th 14, 08:52   #18
Anna1984
Lurker

The Gathering is for me really the movie to look at the first and then I just go how the dvd's are in the box.
I'm rewatching B5 and i Think I will do it this time by the list.
Anna1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 14, 12:07   #19
AlanMoore
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Really, don't worry about it in the slightest. Watch 'The Gathering' and then the episodes in the order they come on the DVDs and simply get immersed in the story for the first time. You won't really appreciate the nuances until the second time, anyway so just concentrate on it as presented in the simplest way possible - which is how those of us who watched it in its first run saw it.

Jan
So, there is no need to watch the movies in the order JMS himself advices, between the episodes of the series?
Just out of curiosity, does it make sense the suggestion to watch the season 4 finale as series finale? (no spoilers, of course... just be vague )
AlanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 14, 13:37   #20
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

Jan
So, there is no need to watch the movies in the order JMS himself advices, between the episodes of the series?
Just out of curiosity, does it make sense the suggestion to watch the season 4 finale as series finale? (no spoilers, of course... just be vague )
I stand by this....

http://www.b5tv.com/showpost.php?p=349849&postcount=3

....order. If you do not watch the TV movies where they are supposed to go chronologically, keep in mind when watching them where they are supposed to go, i.e. what timeframe they're from.. HOWEVER, watch The Gathering FIRST.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote