B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father
A -- Excellent 3 14.29%
B -- Good 11 52.38%
C -- Average 5 23.81%
D -- Poor 2 9.52%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th 08, 02:51   #41
hypatia
First One

Re: EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father

Around 19, right? One year shy of two decades. I'm assuming she's been taught since birth to "dehumanize" all Narns.

Was Vir's potential wife taught neutrally for the first decade of her life? I'm simply assuming most children who go to the Psi Corp have been. Then, when their "gift" is discovered, the indoctrination must begin. That leaves a lot less time to teach such dehumanizing of the mundanes. And such indoctrination would happen at a less impressionable age, though obviously not entirely unimpressionable.

Now, if the female intern was, say, 5 or 6 when discovered, then she was mostly raised from when she could first remember to consider mundanes sub-human. I simply can't remember any reference as to when she was "recruited".
Old April 26th 08, 13:02   #42
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

If she was the byproduct of the Psi Corps breeding programme to broduce more potent telepaths, or if she came from two parents already in the Corps, then they would have tested her DNA shortly after birth (at least they would have in the first instance), then they would have had their grubby little clutches on her from day one.

It's ironic that the Corps refer to humans as little more than animals... but it's they that have a breeding programme to produce a better pedigree of telepath and therefore treat their own people like farmyard animals.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th 11, 16:36   #43
Estelyn
Commander

I enjoy the episodes that show us things through someone else's eyes. And I like the idea of having the Corps logo in the credits! That amplifies the feeling.

Bester's line "Not everything is about Babylon 5" amuses me, because as things turn out, it is! The dialogues between him and B5 personnel are almost like Londo and G'Kar's bickering, except that the latter actually respect each other.

The "family" idea is prevalent - the Corps as mother and father, etc. Bester is not the only one who sees it like that.

Isn't this the first time we see Bester without his uniform? It's strange what a difference that makes - he looks so normal.

Interesting how the male intern interprets his actions - he's not disobeying instructions, he's "showing initiative". His death doesn't result from disobedience though, but from calling for help as instructed.

The tension in this episode results from the juxtaposition of "normalcy" and ruthlessness on the part of the Corps members. Chilling...
Old June 22nd 11, 09:39   #44
deaded
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino View Post
but actual Psi Cops themselves must be P12
This has been said other places. So how could the rogue they were chasing, who was a P10, be a, "Psi-Cop in training?"
Old June 23rd 11, 12:48   #45
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaded View Post
Quote:
This has been said other places. So how could the rogue they were chasing, who was a P10, be a, "Psi-Cop in training?"
Psi Corps would not be the first organisation to drop its standards. P10s are still very powerful telepaths.
Old June 23rd 11, 14:24   #46
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaded View Post
Quote:
Psi Corps would not be the first organisation to drop its standards. P10s are still very powerful telepaths.
Been too long since my last viewing or reading of the books, but, I seem to recall P-10 was the minimum rating for a certain position, and P12 (The highest ranking) was a requirement for another position?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 11, 02:50   #47
Jan
Psi Cop

As I recall (and I may be wrong), P-12s are automatically psi-cops but I don't recall that *only* P-12s are. That wouldn't make much sense since they're so rare.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th 11, 08:26   #48
deaded
Telepath

I'll probably have to wait for my next viewing of the entire series, but I'm pretty sure that DeMartino is right. I remember someone saying that you had to be a P12 to be a psi-cop.
Old June 26th 11, 08:39   #49
Jan
Psi Cop

Found it. From "Mind War":

Quote:
BESTER
He's a P10. All instructors at
the academy are rated P10.

IVANOVA
And Psi Cops? What're you rated?

KELSEY
P12. Someone has to keep an eye on
the rest.
So it looks like Joe DeMartino was right.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th 11, 06:06   #50
Alioth
Commander

Didn't psi cops have "bloodhounds" working with them in their posses, who were IIRC lower-rated telepaths who assisted in the chases (particularly the more dangerous ones) and provided added psi power for creating illusions/deceptions in the minds of their targets, as needed? Plus of course more physical manpower. Were they technically psi-cops of lower psi rating, just never lead detectives (which were probably all P-12s)?

The rogue they were chasing, if I'm remembering this episode correctly, seemed to have a special talent for "mind shredding"--i.e. even if lower-rated overall, the balance of his abilities skewed more toward offense than defense (or mind-reading per se), and in that category he was a danger to even average higher-rated telepaths (or higher-rated apprentices, as Bester sternly warns one of his). The Psi Cops force might have found that useful for some of its operations.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote