B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 30th 11, 04:53   #51
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Game of Thrones, HBO series

The Night's Watch vows aren't succinct, but they are pretty impressive. Much like Khal Drogo's speech.

Good point about Joffrey, I hadn't thought about that, though the incident you're referring to is indeed some time later, and this was in the moment.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th 11, 14:58   #52
GKarsEye
First One

I don't remember Joffrey's reaction to Robert's death in the book (jeez, and I just read the dern thing like 3 weeks ago.... I'm losing my memory in my old age) but if it is a change, I like it, for two reasons:

1) As part of the whole "everyone is a flawed human, even the villains" approach of the story. Joffrey is a little shit and he's only going to get worse, but at least for one moment you can sympathize and see how he's just a product of his environment.

2) He's emotionally volatile, and thus easy to manipulate.

The one character I am really not liking on the show compared to the book is Littlefinger. I can't believe I'm going to complain about girl-on-girl action, but that scene was just clumsy and silly. The whole exposition + sex thing they seem to be doing like every episode is cornier and cornier. The only time this every worked was on Al Swearingen's blowjob scenes in Deadwood, but that's because the scripts were amazing and they were delivered by Ian f'n McShane.

On the other hand I am loving Cersei (more than some other viewers- it seems at least on the interwebs that fan reaction is mixed). Just the right mix of wounded viper ice-bitch sad lady thing.

Finally, Daddy Lanister! Appropriately bad-ass actor and performance. That is not opinion, that is fact! And he was butchering a stag...

Khal Drogo- his rant-vow was absurdly over-the-top but I dug it. His body language reminded me of those Siva Tau and Haka war dances from the Pacific Islands that Simoan athletes incorporate into their pre-match warm-ups and became popular on some football teams, and sure enough I interneted some info and the actor is Simoan and brought that to the table.

I'm not 100% clear on Daenyrys' bodyguard/knight whatever he is. He was scheming with the eunich, then was pardoned, then saved her life. A change of mind? Was he going to actually kill her at first? Is this different than the book?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th 11, 20:57   #53
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
The one character I am really not liking on the show compared to the book is Littlefinger. I can't believe I'm going to complain about girl-on-girl action, but that scene was just clumsy and silly.
HA, just for that hilarious line (you made me literally LOL!), but yeah, I do agree with you. It was one of those super-awkward "I'm giving you exposition now!" scenes that have to be handled really carefully by a really expert actor, otherwise they come off as just plain clunky.

Quote:
On the other hand I am loving Cersei (more than some other viewers- it seems at least on the interwebs that fan reaction is mixed). Just the right mix of wounded viper ice-bitch sad lady thing.
Really? The intertubes are not liking Leana Headey? Surprising! I'm loving her, and think she is letter-perfect in the role.

[QUOTE]Khal Drogo- his rant-vow was absurdly over-the-top but I dug it. His body language reminded me of those Siva Tau and Haka war dances from the Pacific Islands that Simoan athletes incorporate into their pre-match warm-ups and became popular on some football teams, and sure enough I interneted some info and the actor is Simoan and brought that to the table.[QUOTE]

Hrm. I thought Jason Momoa was (native) Hawaiian. Samoan?

Quote:
I'm not 100% clear on Daenyrys' bodyguard/knight whatever he is. He was scheming with the eunich, then was pardoned, then saved her life. A change of mind? Was he going to actually kill her at first? Is this different than the book?
That's Ser Jorah Mormont. His father is the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. I have no idea where they are going with him. I'm at the very end of book two as of this moment, and I don't recognize that pardon from anywhere in two books yet. I'm waiting to see where they go with this. I'm actually *doubly* anxious about the next episode because I saw the current episode last week, as a special deal on HBO's mobile app, so I feel like I've been waiting *forever* to talk about this one, and that it's a looooong break between new episodes. I almost wish they hadn't done that, even though I got two full new hours last week! :-D
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th 11, 21:21   #54
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Hrm. I thought Jason Momoa was (native) Hawaiian. Samoan?
You're right, Hawaii.
In my defense, Hawaiian athletes do those war dances. In fact, I'm pretty sure the University of Hawaii football team is who made it popular across the U.S. So much so that it was done by the fictional Dillon, Texas Panthers in Friday Night Lights.

And before non-Americans jump down my throat, yes I know rugby did it first, because I saw the New Zealand team do it in Invictus.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old May 30th 11, 22:29   #55
hypatia
First One

Fantas;y is always rely a bit too much on the obviously good and obviously evil. It can give the story a bit of a stereotypical feel.

I don't find the characters very interesting, I admit. The actions and reactions are really predictable. I am impressed with some of the cast, and there is some very good acting in it.
Old May 31st 11, 15:35   #56
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
The show's made it more explicit, but yeah, Jorah had a change of heart. Somebody pointed out that this means two generations of Mormonts have picked promising young people and staked the future on them.

The Generous Grasp
Old May 31st 11, 16:10   #57
GKarsEye
First One

Did it say in the book that Daenyrys' bodyguard is the son of the guy in charge of the Nightwatch, or was I just supposed to be observant enough to notice the last name? Because, in my defense, there are like a billion names.

What in particular made him change his mind in book and/or movie? Did I miss/forget that? I remember while reading the book thinking "why is this guy so dutifully following her around?"
Old May 31st 11, 20:10   #58
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

I haven't gotten to any change of heart in the books yet, so I can't help you there. I do think we've heard both Mormont's names on the show, and didn't the Old Bear (the Lord Commander) tell someone something about his disappointment about his son already? Or was it another character who mentioned it? I know for sure we've heard Jorah talk about why he left Westeros, and I think either Varys or Littlefinger said something to Ned like "He's a slaver, not a traitor, small difference." This was in response to Ned pooh-poohing the info coming from Ser Jorah as not reliable.
Old May 31st 11, 22:32   #59
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Did it say in the book that Daenyrys' bodyguard is the son of the guy in charge of the Nightwatch, or was I just supposed to be observant enough to notice the last name? Because, in my defense, there are like a billion names.

What in particular made him change his mind in book and/or movie? Did I miss/forget that? I remember while reading the book thinking "why is this guy so dutifully following her around?"
It may not be stated outright in the books that the Lord Commander is Jorah's father, but it is in the appendices. Darn useful things, those, since they're basically huge lists of names and how the names connect.

As to what made Jorah change his mind... also may not be stated outright, and certainly not in book one. But the show makes the case that he's totally in love with her (Viserys says it, and Jorah doesn't deny it), and that's born out by the books later on.

The Generous Grasp
Old June 1st 11, 01:30   #60
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

No, it's definitely stated explicitly in the books, because I haven't read the appendices yet and I know I've read about it.

And, I believe it's early in book two where we learn about Jorah's wife and how Danaerys resembles her.