B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 5th 11, 17:41   #41
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Re: Game of Thrones, HBO series

Catching this illegally. The books remain my favorite series but I'm happy with the series so far and love the titles. Changes are necessary and fun to watch. A lot of subtlety from the books is lost, including some good foreshadowing, but that can be nicely compensated for with lots of gracious nudity (also in the books though).

The titles are also incredible.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 11, 05:47   #42
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Most recent one was pretty heavy on exposition -- and the best one yet. Plot's kicking into gear.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 11, 14:58   #43
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Most recent one was pretty heavy on exposition -- and the best one yet. Plot's kicking into gear.
Funny- I would describe it as "Most recent one was pretty heavy on exposition -- and the worst one yet." Because, spoken exposition is rough to sit through. Blah blah, there was this war, blah blah, there was another war, blah blah. I know it has to happen but this episode felt like eating the vegetables because you have to before you can enjoy the steak.

And on top of all that they made a point to bring in the Grejoy backstory way more than in the book. I wonder if that's gonna result in moving some of the events in the later books up a little earlier.

Then that weird awkward bathtub sex/more exposition scene. I am not enjoying the sex stuff at all in this show, it's really clumsy and childish.

John Snow stuff was good- he's my favorite character in the book and on the show. And you finally got some Ghost!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 11, 02:54   #44
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Most recent one was excellent, even without Jon or Danaerys. The plot quickens and thickens...

The Generous Grasp
Old May 18th 11, 04:03   #45
admiraldave
First One

I'm hoping Renly gets less petulant, I didn't get that from him in the books.

Just finished "A Feast of Crows" ... oh dear.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 11, 12:21   #46
GKarsEye
First One

Most recent one:

The good:
- Less characters makes for a better flowing, more engaging narrative.
- That conversation between the king and queen. "What's holding it all together" "Our marriage" Don't think it was even in the book (it looks like they're adding more and more original non-book bits each episode).
- The Eyrie, especially the prison. Sure it looked just like I imagined it, but I imagined it pretty good.

The bad:
- The sensationalism is getting absurd. Whores! Homos! Necrophelia! Bleh.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th 11, 15:38   #47
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The gay stuff was broadly hinted at in the book, so I'm fine with making it exlicit -- especially as it's not really playing to any stereotypes. Sure Loras looks good, but he's also a pretty dangerous fighter.

The whore flashing Jory was a bit unnecessary, other than to give Jory something to do right before he got offed.

The Generous Grasp
Old May 24th 11, 11:19   #48
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Gay stuff is all there in the second book. I'm also loving how they are adding extra sex and using it as additional expo / filler.

Good idea!

Jory was referred to lovingly by other characters, even if he did not do much himself. Sansa had a crush on him. It was a different way of getting the impact of his death across. The Kingslayer is just as much of a git as he was in the book.

Even on crappy download the CGI is first rate for the locations. Looking forward to the blu-ray set.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker

Last edited by darth_librarian; May 24th 11 at 11:47.
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th 11, 15:08   #49
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Most recent ep was pretty killer. As a commenter said on another site, "A shitstorm is coming..."

The Generous Grasp
Old May 30th 11, 01:53   #50
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Hey, was anyone else bothered in tonight's episode by....leaving spoiler space...
...Joffrey looking so distraught as Robert lay dying? In the book, he was so nonplussed by his father's death that when someone (can't recall who) told him he was sorry for his loss some weeks later, Joffrey said, "Loss? What loss?" And had to be reminded that his father had died.

Also, as Jon and Samwell were making their vows, I'm sure I wasn't the only one who started saying, "We walk in the dark places no others will enter...we stand on the bridge and no one may pass...we live for the One; we die for the One." :-D
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote