B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Legend of the Rangers
A -- Excellent 4 9.30%
B -- Good 8 18.60%
C -- Average 20 46.51%
D -- Poor 10 23.26%
F -- Failure 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2nd 11, 15:25   #71
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Well, all the prepublicity stuff indicated that they were older than the Shadows. There was a line somewhere to the effect of "Remember the Shadows? Well these were the guys who used to take their lunch money when they were kids."
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 11, 16:06   #72
Jan
Psi Cop

Yeah, and Kafta is the one who said it. Hardly what you'd call a source to be trusted. As I said, what was he gonna say, that his planet was so wimpy they just rolled over?

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd 11, 18:28   #73
Mike G

The Hand... my guess is it was a bluff. We never saw them do anything that Human or Minbari were not capible of doing. Also... how can I say this without spoiling it... there was another JMS written piece involving a big bad who was a bluff which came after this.
Old May 3rd 11, 01:22   #74
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Well, all the prepublicity stuff indicated that they were older than the Shadows. There was a line somewhere to the effect of "Remember the Shadows? Well these were the guys who used to take their lunch money when they were kids."
True, but he could have been lying just to try and scare everyone.
Old May 3rd 11, 03:35   #75
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427 View Post
Quote:
Yea, The Hand could be a reference to the Poker game Kafka just won (or lost) against formidable opponents. (He was quite the "poker" player and survivor)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Last edited by Sindatur; May 3rd 11 at 03:40.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 11, 16:35   #76
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, The Hand could be a reference to the Poker game Kafka just won (or lost) against formidable opponents. (He was quite the "poker" player and survivor)
Up until they blew him up?
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 11, 19:02   #77
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:

Up until they blew him up?
Well yea...I did say was

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 11, 02:53   #78
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The Hand... my guess is it was a bluff. We never saw them do anything that Human or Minbari were not capible of doing. Also... how can I say this without spoiling it... there was another JMS written piece involving a big bad who was a bluff which came after this.
Oh! Spoil it! Spoil it! Or just PM me...
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th 11, 20:13   #79
Mike G

Quote:
Oh! Spoil it! Spoil it! Or just PM me...
I'll PM it.
Old May 11th 15, 22:00   #80
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I just watched this for the first time ever... I vaguely remember being excited when I heard that it was in production, but then I didn't get the opportunity to actually see it and I only just bought the DVD earlier this year, shortly after starting another B5 rewatch. I hadn't really read much about it either, so I went in not really knowing what to expect.

Sometimes I wonder what Babylon 5 would look like to me if I had never seen it, and started watching it now, with new eyes. I honestly don't know how that would go, but I kinda think I would like it better than Legend of the Rangers ... I didn't HATE it. If there had been a series, I would have watched the next episode, although perhaps not with very high expectations.

Like many other people who posted in this thread, I found myself thinking about The Gathering, and what that would have looked like to me as a standalone thing (I didn't see The Gathering until I was already hooked on B5). It's just really hard to say. Babylon 5's excellence comes from the overall story, and you wouldn't have been able to guess how that was going to turn out based on The Gathering. Maybe Legend of the Rangers could have gone someplace really interesting as a series.

As a standalone thing, though, it's really just "meh". I'm somewhat pleased to see that I echo pretty much everyone when I say that the weapons system was ridiculous. It's not just me being overly critical. It was ridiculous as it was, but then there was that scene of Sarah just screaming ... I kinda wanted to hide under my couch at that point. I'm also in agreement with everyone who said that the "no retreat" thing was nonsensical.

This looked to me sort of like any of the dime a dozen new shows I sometimes check out on Netflix. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, exactly. It's not that the characters look too clean ... It's not fantasy, after all. Something about makeup, perhaps? Speaking of makeup ... The Minbari, Drazi, and Narn characters looked great ... Just like any Babyon 5 Minbari, Drazi, or Narn. But, what was going on with the makeup on the ghostly dead former crew? Was that intentionally bad? For what purpose?

And, speaking of ghostly dead crew members, don't Minbari (or, most Minbari? Religious caste Minbari?) believe in reincarnation? Why is communication with souls just hanging around a thing now? Minbari are sensitive to these things? When one is close to death the veil is particularly thin? What?

I had a moment of dread when I heard the words "archaeological dig". Not ANOTHER plot where evilly ambitious archaeologists unleash some great evil, associated with a powerful alien race! There already are two whole Babylon 5 movies (and one episode) built on exactly that premise. Fortunately the 'archaeological dig" turned out to be a somewhat minor part of the story ... just there so that some amazingly talented archaeolinguists could quickly decode some alien pictographs to gather just enough knowledge to further the plot. Convenient, that.

I'm not too bothered about "The Hand". That could have gone many directions if there had been a series. The weird thing was G'Kar making that comment about all spacefaring races having legends about "a great darkness" (or whatever the exact words were, I only watched it the one time). This is an odd comment in a post-Shadow War universe.