B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 14th 11, 16:05   #11
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Game of Thrones, HBO series

So I've decided to jump on this bandwagon, but also I canceled HBO recently, so there's that.

I tried to start reading Game of Thrones a couple of months ago but couldn't get into it because there's so many names hitting you on the head in the beginning and I just couldn't be bothered to give a shit and was more in a mindset to read nonfiction, anyway.

But then I burnt out on non-fiction so last night I picked up a paperback copy of the book and started again and am more open to revisit the fantasy genre. I do wanna see what all the fuss is about.

As for the series, I'll be waiting for the blu-ray but will check in on reviews and opinions here and there.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 11, 06:26   #12
GKarsEye
First One

Critical update: I'm about 100 pages into the book and I rescinded my order to cancel HBO (because I forgot that this also the channel that has boxing), so yay I can participate in pop culture!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old April 16th 11, 21:40   #13
admiraldave
First One

Just finished A Clash of Kings. So good. Looking forward to the series.

Luck favors the prepared. - Edna Mode
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 11, 07:38   #14
Alluveal
Psi Cop

GKE, I think that's great you gave it another shot. I remember quitting the first time in the middle of the prologue. I don't know why, but I did.

Then I started again, got past the prologue and into that first (Bran's) POV and that's all she wrote.

Who are your favorite characters so far? Both you and Admiral?
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 11, 21:16   #15
admiraldave
First One

Of the POV characters, Tyrion and Bran. Non POV, Renly. No other comments. Well, on to "A Storm of Swords". Out of curiosity, without spoilers, what's everyone's favourite of the series?

Old April 17th 11, 23:32   #16
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluveal View Post
GKE, I think that's great you gave it another shot. I remember quitting the first time in the middle of the prologue. I don't know why, but I did.

Then I started again, got past the prologue and into that first (Bran's) POV and that's all she wrote.

Who are your favorite characters so far? Both you and Admiral?
As of right now I'm already into the 300s. A stormy Saturday and spending most of a a windy Sunday minding a 10-yr old boy addicted to Assassin's Creed provides ample reading opportunity.

Favorite characters? I guess the potential future super-ninja team of John Snow and that tomboy-ish Stark girl. He's a firebrand warrior type, and she's just started taking some weird superman sword lessons, and they're friends and outliers. I don't know how many years this series is covering but it looks they're being set up to be some Wonder Twins like bad-assery.
Old April 18th 11, 05:24   #17
admiraldave
First One

Quite enjoyed the first episode. So gorgeous. Loved the opening credits.

Old April 18th 11, 13:12   #18
GKarsEye
First One

I enjoyed it well enough too and yes mostly because there were landscapes, swords and boobs in HD, but if I wasn't already reading the book concurrently I wouldn't have been able to keep track of who is who. For example when the Starks were brought the news that her sister ran away, I bet anyone who didn't read the book wouldn't have known that this sister was married to the dude laying dead in the beginning.

They raised the ages of younger characters, which isn't surprising considering how young everyone in the book is.

I really liked the opening. Scary monsters! So far in the book they haven't told me more about these monsters and I'm frustrated. I'm afraid nothing as cool as the opening will show up this season.

Casting is excellent, everybody really looks like what was described in the book.
Old April 19th 11, 00:21   #19
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
I enjoyed it well enough too and yes mostly because there were landscapes, swords and boobs in HD, but if I wasn't already reading the book concurrently I wouldn't have been able to keep track of who is who. For example when the Starks were brought the news that her sister ran away, I bet anyone who didn't read the book wouldn't have known that this sister was married to the dude laying dead in the beginning.
I haven't read the books (yet), and I was able to figure that out.

Loved it so far. Sure, it's swords-n-lords, but it's also tits, mud, blood, beasts, incest, death... Awesome stuff!
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th 11, 15:04   #20
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Sure, it's swords-n-lords, but it's also tits, mud, blood, beasts, incest, death... Awesome stuff!
Or as I call it, "the weekend."