B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: A Race Through Dark Places
A -- Excellent 9 18.37%
B -- Good 19 38.78%
C -- Average 19 38.78%
D -- Poor 1 2.04%
F -- Failure 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25th 11, 13:52   #91
hypatia
First One

Re: EpDis: GROPOS

Definitely from the female perspective. And we are in the extreme minority around here.
Old March 25th 11, 15:51   #92
GKarsEye
First One

Well FWIW, one of my big life lessons has been to dispel the myth I was brought up with that women are delicate, emotionally and even physically frail or weak or needy. I know it's obvious to say that people are individuals but I kinda had to figure that out a little bit for myself.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th 11, 01:35   #93
Alioth
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Be very interesting to know if your comment is written from a male or a female perspective.
Male, who has known a few females like Dodger. Plus knowing that a lot of the feminist movement of the last several decades was an assertion that females were just as much sexual beings as males, and sometimes seek sex, like males sometimes, just for the sake of it. Before that time, this was largely denied, and females were placed on an almost-impossible pedestal of "womanly virtue" (and punished horribly by society when they wouldn't stand on that pedestal).

I don't want to get into any more trouble than I might already be here, just saying that it is still somewhat common to think of females as the more passive of the species sexually, when clearly at least some are not.

Edit: and the post immediately above, what he said.

Last edited by Alioth; March 26th 11 at 01:39.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th 11, 02:57   #94
vacantlook

As much as there are plenty of women who want sex for the sake of sex proving women aren't uniformly the stereotype of a virtuous maiden, there are conversely men that aren't always sex for the sake of sex. As such, I don't find it unrealistic that Garibaldi would make the choice he did in the episode. And just because he made such a choice in this instance does not mean he wouldn't choose differently at different points in his life.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th 11, 06:01   #95
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Definitely from the female perspective.
OOPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Be very interesting to know if your comment is written from a male or a female perspective.
Male, who has known a few females like Dodger. Plus knowing that a lot of the feminist movement of the last several decades was an assertion that females were just as much sexual beings as males, and sometimes seek sex, like males sometimes, just for the sake of it. Before that time, this was largely denied, and females were placed on an almost-impossible pedestal of "womanly virtue" (and punished horribly by society when they wouldn't stand on that pedestal).

I don't want to get into any more trouble than I might already be here, just saying that it is still somewhat common to think of females as the more passive of the species sexually, when clearly at least some are not.

Edit: and the post immediately above, what he said.

Welcome aboard and don't worry, you're not in trouble. Amazing how we can still disect a relatively small plotline from 2 episodes 3 years apart, and find new insights. B5 RULES!!!! If women were "passive" there would be no lesbians: as several neighbors and lots of friends of mine can attest: That aint the case. Substitute "passion" for "sex": how does that change the equation? Not only are men and women different, so are different men and women. As the oldest son of a widow with 6 kids (Dad died when I was 16) I became a practical feminist at a young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
As much as there are plenty of women who want sex for the sake of sex proving women aren't uniformly the stereotype of a virtuous maiden, there are conversely men that aren't always sex for the sake of sex. As such, I don't find it unrealistic that Garibaldi would make the choice he did in the episode. And just because he made such a choice in this instance does not mean he wouldn't choose differently at different points in his life.

Garibaldi was an Italian Catholic dedicated to food and family. His arc starts and ends with Lise, wife. He was infatuated with Talia (real life married, and divorced) but she turned out to be ... different. I cant recall any intimate relations Garibaldi had, or even implied. Lise divorced him: He never divorced her. She got a fortune. In the end it all worked out. End of morality play.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th 11, 04:16   #96
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
Yeah, awkward social misstep on the part of Garibaldi toward his "date", but those happen. My trouble isn't his saying "no", but not understanding what she wanted (just a one-night stand) enough to either decide to go for it or steer her away while the night was still young. But again, we all make those kinds of misreads and mistakes, sometimes--God knows I have, lots of times.

I think a lot of guys have trouble with the idea that a gal can be just as much of a horndog as the best of them. They think women are more fragile and easily hurt by casual sex--some, lots, of them can be, but not all. She seemed put off that Garibaldi seemed to think she was. She certainly ain't no frail damsel who gets the vapors, and she makes sure every guy she comes around knows that too.
While I agree with you, I had a different take on this encounter. In WWII films, it was fairly common to hint that the guy going off to war got a one night stand from a girl, or even a quick marriage, like it was her duty. Of course, this was conveyed subtly in those days. Here we have a role reversal, with Dodger being a woman soldier, going of to quite possibly die, and wanting a fling before she goes. But Garibaldi is too self absorbed to realize it.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote