B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: No Compromises
A -- Excellent 1 5.26%
B -- Good 11 57.89%
C -- Average 5 26.32%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26th 07, 12:12   #21
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: EpDis: Secrets Of The Soul

Yeck. Pretty massive suck.

Franklin giving holier-than-thou crap to a race for genocide which was commited on its planet 800 years ago? Come on. Like humans had, at that point, not commited genocide in the last 800 years. Franklin just wouldn't be such a tosspot.

I do have to wonder about people, though, that can watch this episode .. and STILL don't believe that Byron is a whiny, hypocritic little shit.

Okay. One of his guys gets attacked in downbelow. He's brought into medlab, Franklin is trying to save him. Franklin asks Byron what happened. Byron, while seeming perfectly composed, gives Franklin something along the lines of ..

"He was attacked. By one of YOU."

Yeah, right. FRANKLIN is to blame. He's a normal, so of course he approves of this kind of stuff. Never mind the part where Franklin was running the underground railroad for years, getting thousands of telepaths out of Psi Corp, doing more for telepaths than Byron ever would do. What a petty little bigot Byron is.

Never mind the complete retardedness of his assertion in the end that the whole universe is to blame for his problems.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 14:55   #22
GaribaldisHair
First One

I don't think the argument about Byron has ever been whether or not he was a whiny, hypocritical little shit, as he is clearly exactly that. He is also massively paranoid and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

I always felt the point of Byron was to draw the distinction between the fact that he isn't the most likeable of people but that ultimately he does have a point about the way telepaths are treated. Can the audience sympathise with his situation and his cause without liking him?

Me? Yes I could.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 20:43   #23
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair
...Can the audience sympathise with his situation and his cause without liking him?

Me? Yes I could.
I, too. I doubt I could ever be friends with Byron, but that doesn't mean I think he's entirely wrong. I think a lot of people look at Byron and think he's supposed to be the Great Crusader of the telepath resistance plot line, but he's not. He's meant to be what sparks Lyta to become the Great Crusader, and that's about it. The rest of his characterization is left to show us how even those who fight against the Psi Corps can still be screwed up by having been raised/trained by the Corps; the Corps' influence on a person is far-reaching because they, pardon the pun, get into your mind. Also, we have to remember where the story of Byron and his group came from: from jms's time spent as a member of a somewhat freaky religious commune, something he eventually mentally freed himself from and left after some time. The audience isn't really supposed to want to run out and join Byron's group, but see it and realize exactly how screwed up being diseffected from society can make a person, see to what sort of strangeness someone who's desperate for welcoming and belonging will turn to, and how that doesn't necessarily make them a better person.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 07, 06:02   #24
maneth
Ambassador

It's not my favorite episode, but neither is it my least favorite one.
Old March 27th 08, 13:52   #25
Elipsis
Commander

Another C. Extinction of races has been done before (Markab), joint evolution has been done before (Centari). Byron is creepy and I think I'd like to take him up on that 4, 5, and 6 just for the ridiculous lines he delivers in the episodes when he's trying to win Lyta over. (Although that scene is probably his best moment.)

Puttering Peter is a lot like Special Simon, as the only other telepath in the colony that isn't a mute with long hair... you know he's in trouble from the get go. Not a very innovative plot, and aside from the end it does very little for me.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 11, 13:22   #26
Estelyn
Commander

I agree with what was previously said about Byron's attitude toward normals - he doesn't differentiate between them. So what's the difference between him and those he despises?!

Lyta has become someone I don't much like anymore as well - her need to follow someone is annoying, and her choice isn't very good. I noticed a repeat of the melody of the "all come together" song as an instrumental theme behind her joining Byron's group.

The lack of privacy in the sex scene turns me off completely. The only good part is the revelation of Vorlon manipulation of teeps. However, Byron's anger is misdirected - he lashes out against the normals (again!), since the Vorlons are no longer available.

Zack's concern may be partially caused by jealousy, of course, but he is very sweet in his attitude. Too bad Lyta doesn't see who is really interested in her for her own sake.

The whole Franklin/Hyach plot element is less than gripping. All in all, this episode has little of real interest for me.
Old February 3rd 11, 15:26   #27
Boredom
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
I don't think the argument about Byron has ever been whether or not he was a whiny, hypocritical little shit, as he is clearly exactly that. He is also massively paranoid and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

I always felt the point of Byron was to draw the distinction between the fact that he isn't the most likeable of people but that ultimately he does have a point about the way telepaths are treated. Can the audience sympathise with his situation and his cause without liking him?

Me? Yes I could.
A race hustler, Jesse Jackson type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn View Post
I agree with what was previously said about Byron's attitude toward normals - he doesn't differentiate between them. So what's the difference between him and those he despises?!

Lyta has become someone I don't much like anymore as well - her need to follow someone is annoying, and her choice isn't very good. I noticed a repeat of the melody of the "all come together" song as an instrumental theme behind her joining Byron's group.

The lack of privacy in the sex scene turns me off completely. The only good part is the revelation of Vorlon manipulation of teeps. However, Byron's anger is misdirected - he lashes out against the normals (again!), since the Vorlons are no longer available.

Zack's concern may be partially caused by jealousy, of course, but he is very sweet in his attitude. Too bad Lyta doesn't see who is really interested in her for her own sake.

The whole Franklin/Hyach plot element is less than gripping. All in all, this episode has little of real interest for me.
Will there be a Telepath War down the line? Wonder who the telepath face will be? Bester or Byron?
Bester is an object of resentment, so I guess if it's Bester, it will be telepaths defending themselves.
On the other hand, Byron is a walking resenment, and he may provoke the war the way Osama did.

Last edited by Boredom; February 3rd 11 at 15:33.
Boredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th 11, 22:02   #28
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
The lack of privacy in the sex scene
Intentional to the story, to show that the telepaths in this group have dropped all barriers. Remember, the members of this group don't even attempt to block out thoughts of others (see the scene where Garibaldi walks in and Byron already knows everything he's about to say). Why would there be any privacy during sex? These people have chosen a different way to live, even different from most telepaths.

Last edited by JoeD80; February 4th 11 at 22:07.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th 11, 04:46   #29
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Well, he did quit Psycorps out of disgust at killing normals, is non-violent, doesn't want to kill normals. But Psycorps, that he despises, and many normals, want to kill him and his band. There is that difference.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 15, 23:19   #30
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I think this is a fairly average episode. Byron actually doesn't annoy me that much in this one. He isn't overly arrogant and condescending in any of the conversations he has, except perhaps early on at customs where he asks Zach "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" and then goes on about that for a bit. Yes, we get it, you're very erudite.

Really, he makes a LOT of sense in this episode. He loses me only at the very end, where he decides that all of the mundanes on all of the worlds the Vorlons messed with are to blame for the suffering of the telepaths and need to feel his wrath. As though the Vorlons didn't manipulate EVERYONE. I can totally see why any telepath would be distrustful of mundanes in general, because of everything that's been done to them as a group. But that is quite a leap there, Byron. And, what exactly would you have done if the Vorlons weren't gone? Attack their homeworld?

Incidentally, why DO all the telepaths wear black? Is it just so that it's easier for the audience to spot them when we don't know all of their faces? Or is there a reason for it in the story? Like, they're all in mourning until they get their own world, sort of thing? It's weird, because despite the obvious cult-like qualities of that group, they don't seem to be the type to suppress individuality.

The interesting thing about the telepath storyline, I think, is that we, the viewers, are all mundanes. The story makes us sympathize with the telepaths, but we'll always be mundanes and can't view it from any other perspective.

The Hyach-Doh story is alright, even if it doesn't matter much for the overall storyline. I do find the "everyone has to share their medical information for the alliance" story interesting. I'm sort of surprised that the Hyach representative and aide take Franklin's word for it when he says he'll die before he gives away their secrets. We, the audience, can believe it easily enough, since we know about Franklin's background, but these Hyach don't know that. On the other hand, they had their orders, so it doesn't really matter what they believe. Franklin does seem a bit self-righteous about things (it comes natural to him ), but he's angry about the secrecy, he isn't holding these particular Hyach responsible for the genocide committed by their ancestors. I think that's reasonable enough.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote