B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old March 9th 10, 16:16   #1
GKarsEye
First One

Comic book basis of Vorlon / Shadow conflict

Hey look at me, starting a thread in this forum...

Yesterday I was having this conversation about the show Lost and I was comparing the Jacob / vs his enemy conflict as looking like Vorlons vs Shadow and was ranting about how Lost = Babylon 5 (but not as good, natch) and then had to point out that B5 didn't come up with the idea of two big powers in ideological conflict using everyone else as pawns (Cold War, etc), and remember reading once that there was some comic book (or novel? but I'm pretty sure it was a comic book series) that had the same thing and JMS said it was the most direct and obvious influence to B5's thing.

What was that comic book or novel?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th 10, 18:14   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Comic book basis of Vorlon / Shadow conflict

All I'm coming up with is Babylonian mythology, Marduk (order) vs. Tiamat (chaos). Sorry.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th 10, 18:15   #3
Ranger1
Telepath

i don't know, but i was having a similar conversation at the weekend, and someone actually said babylon 5 sucks because it's trying to be too serious. really? he then said new BSG was cool because it was serious and DS9 rocked because it didn't take itslef too seriously, sadly i was locked in a house tanked up on booze (not a big drinker anymore but i went through a case there or thereabouts on saturday) with a bunch of B5 haters.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th 10, 19:37   #4
Raw Shark
Commander

I don't remember seeing anything about a comic series that was a big influence on B5, but I do remember JMS writing about how he's been influenced in general by epic sci fi novels like Lensman and the Foundation Trilogy.

But there is an excellent comic series from the 80's and early 90's called Dreadstar, about a group of rebels trying to stop a 200 year-old galactic war between two superpowers. It has tons of similarities with B5, including a scene where the hero orders some ancient and powerful beings to leave the galaxy. Dreadstar and B5 are my two sci fi favorites, as are their writers.

Raw Shark

"We are merely passing through history. This... this is improved history."

'Steven Speilberg', South Park
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th 10, 22:12   #5
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
I don't remember seeing anything about a comic series that was a big influence on B5, but I do remember JMS writing about how he's been influenced in general by epic sci fi novels like Lensman and the Foundation Trilogy.

But there is an excellent comic series from the 80's and early 90's called Dreadstar, about a group of rebels trying to stop a 200 year-old galactic war between two superpowers. It has tons of similarities with B5, including a scene where the hero orders some ancient and powerful beings to leave the galaxy. Dreadstar and B5 are my two sci fi favorites, as are their writers.

Raw Shark

"We are merely passing through history. This... this is improved history."

'Steven Speilberg', South Park

I think you're right- Dreadstar, that must have been it. Thanks!
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old March 9th 10, 23:21   #6
Raw Shark
Commander

You're welcome. Did JMS really say something about Dreadstar being an influence? I know he's mentioned his love for DC comics, and that he wrote a script for a Grimjack movie, another killer comic. Not sure what other comics he's discussed.

Another big similarity with Dreadstar is the tendency of governments to do whatever they think is in their interest, namely making war, while innocent beings get crushed underfoot and exterminated by the billions. That was the first comic I ever read, when I was ten. I've tried to find other sci fi comics that are as good, but never had any luck. Sci fi, mind you. Grimjack I always thought of as really dark fantasy.

Raw Shark

"Alright people, we've got a blind date with Destiny. And it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
The Shoveler, Mystery Men
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th 10, 02:28   #7
Jade Jaguar
First One

Dreadstar was done by Jim Starlin. I'm a big fan of his, and Dreadstar. There are some similarities to B5, but I'd say they are slight.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th 10, 14:14   #8
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
You're welcome. Did JMS really say something about Dreadstar being an influence? I know he's mentioned his love for DC comics, and that he wrote a script for a Grimjack movie, another killer comic. Not sure what other comics he's discussed.

Another big similarity with Dreadstar is the tendency of governments to do whatever they think is in their interest, namely making war, while innocent beings get crushed underfoot and exterminated by the billions. That was the first comic I ever read, when I was ten. I've tried to find other sci fi comics that are as good, but never had any luck. Sci fi, mind you. Grimjack I always thought of as really dark fantasy.

Raw Shark

"Alright people, we've got a blind date with Destiny. And it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
The Shoveler, Mystery Men
Re: JMS citing Dreadstar, that is the way I remember it at least. Certainly I could be wrong so I guess you shouldn't take my word for it because I can't point to it on record. It's possible I read that but it wasn't true, or that I misremembered it (like maybe someone thought it seemed like a natural influence and said something like 'JMS was influenced by Dreadstar' and I then I didn't remember it right). Who knows.

Either way I knew there was at least comic like that and my inner-geek just need to know that so that I could come off as a big smart-ass to all my fellow Lost-viewers.
Old March 10th 10, 16:37   #9
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

I can't help you with the comics, but (A) the Shadows/Vorlon similarites to Jacob/Evil Locke are something we've commented on a lot over at Republibot, and also (B) we've commented on the fairly obvious similarities to Zoroastrian theology, with Ahura Mazda vs. Angra Manu
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th 10, 20:24   #10
Ranger1
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
I can't help you with the comics, but (A) the Shadows/Vorlon similarites to Jacob/Evil Locke are something we've commented on a lot over at Republibot, and also (B) we've commented on the fairly obvious similarities to Zoroastrian theology, with Ahura Mazda vs. Angra Manu
that sounds interesting, because the station was supposed to be a futuristic city of babylon.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote