B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old December 28th 09, 15:06   #1
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

If you could re-score B5...

I completely, fanatically love B5. So much so that my wife was joking just this morning to her friends about how she's like to go more than a week without having a conversation involving Jumpgates. <G>

That said, if I had to pick something that was consistently the weakest part of the show, I'd say it was Christopher Franke's score. I never really liked it. I *do* think he did a good job with the more-or-less zero resources they had available, and I *do* like Tangerine Dream, so please don't think I'm dissing him, I'm not. Also, on occasion, he did do some really impressive stuff - the Season 5 theme is beautiful, the operatic piece he plays when the Narn are dying defending the station in season 3, etc - but for the most part, I just don't care for it.

Which brings up an interesting thought experiment: What style of music would you have prefered for the show? How would *you* have done the music differently if money were no object? If you could go back in time and get one or more composer to simply volunteer their services for the series, who would you choose? (Don't say "Beethoven," unless you're talking about "Louie Beethoven and the Butt-Naked Band," who play over at the Cleremont. It has to be someone who was actually alife at the time.) What pieces of music from the existing soundtrack would you want to preserve, and which would you like to get rid of?

So sound off about sound!
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 09, 21:23   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: If you could re-score B5...

I can't imagine B5 with anybody but Franke's music. Perhaps in the first season the music was a touch overdone but in all of the rest it was fantastic. His scores absolutely made some of the non-verbal scenes.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 09, 01:33   #3
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I can't imagine B5 with anybody but Franke's music. Perhaps in the first season the music was a touch overdone but in all of the rest it was fantastic. His scores absolutely made some of the non-verbal scenes.

Jan
I bet most people feel that way. I certainly do.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 09, 15:00   #4
Jade Jaguar
First One

I agree, and I'm one of the few who liked Chen's music for Crusade.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 09, 16:32   #5
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
....and I'm one of the few who liked Chen's music for Crusade.
So did I, once I got used to it.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old December 29th 09, 16:54   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

I was fine with Chen's music and especially liked the opening theme for Crusade. I think he would have improved in time, just as Christopher Franke did.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th 09, 17:34   #7
dreamer
Ranger

Can't be done.

I'm sure that if you'd replace Franke's stuff with someone elses and show the show to someone who hasn't seen it before it'd work, but for the fans? A bit like talking about replacing Star Wars' music with something else.

For me Franke's stuff is more like the ambience of the surroundings rather than music specifically. I had some trouble with it in the beginning because I didn't realise that it could be just the ambience. A lot of it is sound effects, long and short. Mood thematics.

I won't even consider whose stuff I'd replace Franke's with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I was fine with Chen's music and especially liked the opening theme for Crusade. I think he would have improved in time, just as Christopher Franke did.

Jan
Franke's stuff became a bit more music towards the end of the show. Big themes, even if they're still brief when comparing to other series.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th 09, 18:47   #8
Kara Baxter
Telepath

crusade's music was a bit weird...edgy...

but it was ok.

i think season 4 was my fav b5 theme.
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th 09, 19:46   #9
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Baxter View Post
crusade's music was a bit weird...edgy...

but it was ok.
I would have said foreign or alien. I think Crusade's music fit what was on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Baxter View Post
i think season 4 was my fav b5 theme.
My favorite B5 theme is Season 5's. Sort of BIG, French Horn, noble sounding stuff.
Old December 31st 09, 09:34   #10
Kara Baxter
Telepath

ok kosh, i gotta ask...what does alien music sound like!
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote