B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.FAQ

Old September 10th 09, 00:43   #11
blackcoatcowboy
Lurker

Re: What order to see it all in?

...DELETED DUE TO LACK OF AGREEMENT TO ADHERE TO STRICT CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER...

Last edited by blackcoatcowboy; September 10th 09 at 21:51.
blackcoatcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th 09, 16:42   #12
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Well, different strokes for different folks -- but I've gotta say Heck No to putting "In the Beginning"... well, in the beginning. Not only will it not quite make sense -- characters like Sinclair and Franklin get tossed in with no introduction because we're supposed to already know who they are and what they did -- its great strength is that it's all flashback.

I gather you're going for strict chronological order if you're putting "Deconstruction" last... but alas, that simply doesn't work with this show. I mean, "War Without End" alone messes all that up.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th 09, 21:55   #13
blackcoatcowboy
Lurker

Actually, it does make perfect sense and does fit. Im not sure how you unable to see it but everyone is entitled to a-pinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
I gather you're going for strict chronological order if you're putting "Deconstruction" last... but alas, that simply doesn't work with this show. I mean, "War Without End" alone messes all that up.
Old September 10th 09, 22:10   #14
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoatcowboy View Post
Actually, it does make perfect sense and does fit. Im not sure how you unable to see it but everyone is entitled to a-pinions.

Quote:
One joy of watching "Deconstuction..." in it's original airing spot is that you get the foreshadowing for the Telepath Revolution on B5. IMHO, this is important for the new viewer (and afterall, if someone is asking for the "proper viewing order", they're likely either someone new to the series, or someone watching it straight through for the first time). The reverse is true for in the Beginning being shown before War Without End, it won't make much sense to a new viewer, but, they'll remember enough that it will dampen their surprise when viewing War Without End. For us old hats, that have seen it straight through a few times, these little things don't matter, and we may indeed find new joys by watching them in their chronological order.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th 09, 22:51   #15
blackcoatcowboy
Lurker

History and real-life doesnt make sense. The introduction of people without intros are quite common.

It seems people arent old enough to remember the interviews JMS gave in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000 regarding being canceled, being cancel a second time, casting, and viewing order. Its been made quite clear how he wants the franchise to be viewed.

Quote:
Well, different strokes for different folks -- but I've gotta say Heck No to putting "In the Beginning"... well, in the beginning. Not only will it not quite make sense -- characters like Sinclair and Franklin get tossed in with no introduction because we're supposed to already know who they are and what they did -- its great strength is that it's all flashback.

Old September 11th 09, 16:20   #16
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Hah, cowboy, it appears you're right.

From the "JMS Speaks" section of the Lurker's Guide for ItB:

Quote:
Will ItB spoil some of season one's mysteries?
That's an interesting question. When I sat down to write In the Beginning, my feeling was that I should look at the long term. Would the hole in Sinclair's mind be the same mystery it was in season one, or would it be kind of known thereafter? If so, then do you want to play with the mystery, or set up what actually happened? I figured, okay, let's go for the latter...let's let the audience know (which will mostly know by now anyway), and set up the background, with the characters not knowing the first season. I took basic greek tragedy as my model, with ItB functioning more or less as a Greek chorus that sets things up.

If you want to play it as a strict mystery, then no, probably don't go near ItB...but frankly, if I were going to start someone off on B5, I'd definitely want to start with ItB, which sort of skims in and out of the overall storyline in a beautiful fashion.

"I know you probably couldn't have made a movie about the Earth-Minbari War without giving away the ending, but I was kind of hoping the details would be left more vague than they were for the benefit of new viewers."

I came to that part of my decision-making process, and realized that in 2, 5 or 10 years, the secret ain't gonna be secret anymore...so why not play into that, and make the audience aware up front, which adds a different kind of tension, like seeing the bomb under the table when the characters eating dinner don't know it's there.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th 09, 15:00   #17
FaceOfGkar
Lurker

I suggest just watching the series (seasons 1-5) as is, and then expanding your way into the extended universe. It's a lot easier and the story is a lot "tighter" in that regard.

CashCrate - Make money online filling out surveys
Survey Safari - guide to online surveys
FaceOfGkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th 09, 13:59   #18
flobo
Lurker

I strongly disagree with the fact that sleeping in light must be watched with the rest of season 5. IMO, sleeping in light is an epilogue to the B5 characters and universe and it would ruin the whole experience to actually watch something else after it.

For my first watching, i watched all the way to Objects at Rest (with the movies in right place and in the beginning just after WWE) then lotr, call to arm, crusage, tlt, the books trilogies then finally sleeping in light right after i finished legion of fire.

Legion of fire left like the true end of B5, and then sleeping in light a final goodbye to the show, and i wouldn't recommand it any other way.
flobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th 09, 20:32   #19
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Quote:
Good idea, we do get a lot of newbies coming through these days... as a backup you could just create a "viewing order" thread and make it a sticky.
The nice thing about a FAQ area is that it all B5 FAQs would be in one uncrowded area, and we wouldn't be polluting other groups with extra stickies. All B5 FAQs would be in the same place. I think it makes sense.
And to this end, I am pleased to announce that KoshN has been made a moderator for a new B5.FAQ forum that is yet to be created. Look for it in the near future.
Old September 17th 09, 00:21   #20
Jan
Psi Cop

Way to go, KoshN!

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote