B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: A Call To Arms
A -- Excellent 19 57.58%
B -- Good 12 36.36%
C -- Average 2 6.06%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10th 09, 15:49   #31
dreamer
Ranger

Re: EpDis: A Call To Arms

For some reason I hadn't seen this movie before, and considering how many times I watch through the entire show every year it's downright strange how I've managed to miss watching this. I've got the big universe dvd box, so it's right there in front of my face... but... *shrug*

The story was pretty good overall but as a movie and even from a fan's perspective, the movie felt oddly uneven. Amateurish even. I'll attribute huge amounts of that to the absolutely abysmal soundtrack that had me giggling like a teenage girl after someone says "p*nis". I prolly haven't heard a worse soundtrack than Chen's work with this and the Crusade series. I wonder if the guy is still at making "music".

Still, it was damned great to see the old gang again in something "new". Sheridan looked great but acted a bit too much like a crazy old kook and Garibaldi was a tad too mellow from... let's say the first half of season 5, where I consider him at his best.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 09, 21:54   #32
Mercury
Lurker

As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

Other than that I loved every bit of it.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 09, 22:14   #33
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
As many others before me in this thread I loved the movie and I even gave it an A, but like others, it's a problematic A, only for the music, that horrible bongo banging music. It killed 90% of the fun in Crusade, here it wasn't as powerful a distraction, but a pain none the less. I simply can't understand who would pay anyone to make that noise...

I think jms was experimenting... Evan Chen is an eastern composer. Here in the West we only have 24 major and minor keys in music. Oriental music has a few more which to our ears probably sound like bum notes.

Jms has always tried to push the envelope with what can be done to improve a story using the various tools in television production. He didn't play safe, he tried to be daring... he gambled and it didn't pay off.

I think we were extremely fortunate that 90% of the time his instincts were right and B5 was a lot better for it.

This was one time that the gamble didn't work... but I won't hold it against him because at the end of the day he was specualting to accumulate in terms of performance and dramatic effect.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 09, 22:15   #34
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 09, 22:37   #35
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:

I never understood such revulsion to the Crusade music. It was strange the first time through, but, I grew to appreciate it fit the new series perfectly
But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th 09, 23:20   #36
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But therein lies a problem... when it's an established series, new music can grow on you (B5's music consistently changed but because in the first series it was dynamic, it hit the ground running). Crusade had no such advantage, it was something new and unusual from scratch and didn't really have a chance to grow on you in a single run.

But then Crusade was shot down in flames before it even left the nest.

Executives are pooheads!
Yes, suits are.

It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.

Last edited by Sindatur; August 11th 09 at 23:23.
Old August 11th 09, 23:52   #37
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
It was strange, and perhaps a bit jarring, but, I never found it objectionable like so many did. I seen/heard many people absolutely horrified by it. Of course, I didn't loathe Byron's gang and their "We Will All Come Together In a Better Place..." or the JMS written song that Dr. Franklin's Caitlin sang either. Byron's Gang in general I enjoyed being part of the series, because you were supposed to dislike their characters, where other people felt they really hurt the show tremendously.
Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here.

Chen's music was strange and jarring, and quite a change from Franke. But I liked it quite a bit, even though I don't like "industrial" music, which it resembles. I particularly liked it in the battle scenes.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th 09, 00:02   #38
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post

Though we disagree in the political thread, I agree completely here.

You can find common ground in B5, even with the most lunatic fringes in politics. Though Capt. Dayton (I think that was the poster's handle) even found a way to bring his POlitical disagreements into his watching

Old August 12th 09, 00:34   #39
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! ...well except the awful noise at the end of "Ruling from the Tomb" (baby crying, dog barking, etc.). Go have a listen and you'll know what I mean, the stuff over the end credits. Other than that, I completely agree with Sindatur.

From memory, I haven't watched Crusade for probably a couple of years now:
I especially like the music at the end of "The Needs of Earth" as Gideon is walking down the hall, upon leaving the datacrystal with Dureena. I also like the music at the end of "Appearances and Other Deceits" as Gideon is recording the messages for the families of the two fallen crewmen, and the music as Max is reading the back of the photo of Mr. Kitty, which Cynthia had just sent him. Great stuff!
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th 09, 12:23   #40
ALeafOnTheWind
Ranger

Quote:
I agree. I thought the music was great.
ALeafOnTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote