B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 11th 09, 09:59   #31
Mercury
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Hello all. I just felt obligated to register and say thanks for this thread and all the material it leads to on the forum.

I used to watch B5 here and there when I was young and now I decided to properly watch the whole thing and this guide was exactly what I needed to put it all in order and know what order to watch everything.

Cheers
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th 09, 14:07   #32
Sindatur
Techno-mage
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,519
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Welcome to the site, share your comments with us as you watch, we love watching vicariously through new eyes
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th 09, 14:32   #33
superbob
First One
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: south africa
Posts: 1,206
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

especially since decent sci-fi has become more scarce of late.
__________________
Research stipulates that men think about sex every 8 seconds. Nonsense, I think constantly about sex and reflect on something else every 8 seconds. Something like, breathing!
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th 09, 05:23   #34
skyblazer
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

I loved the series when it first came out and recently rewatched in entirety again the entire series. I thought the first 3 seasons were unbelievably great, but the series tailed off at the end of season 4 into 5, though the last few episodes of the entire series was very moving, I had not seen season 5 the first time around.

My main complaint with the series was that the "wars" usually took place in the space of 2-3 episodes. For them to make such a build up to a war, the short duration made the conflict itself seem anti-climactic. Sometimes it almost seemed as if the writer(s) got burnt out by season's end.
skyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th 09, 16:32   #35
superbob
First One
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: south africa
Posts: 1,206
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Problem goes back to the problems that were experienced by JMS. As you say, season one two and three were well written, and executed. With Season four, there was a lot of uncertainty regarding whether there would be a S5, so the race was on to finalize the main story arc that would see the end of the "great war" leaving the earth civilian war as a possible sacrifice. S5 was approved and we were fotunate to see the conclusion of the civil war, the telepath rebellion and the end of sheridans life in conjunction with the decomission of B5. Due to network dithering, s4 and s5 seemed to almost have a jerky "stop start:" sensation.

Unfortuantely I need to disagree with the "war scenes" as you put it. I thought they were the best battle scenes ever screened. The only two that surpasse the B5 battle sequences would be the opening battle of star wars ep 3 and the battle sequence in " serenity. That , however, is based purely on personal opinion
__________________
Research stipulates that men think about sex every 8 seconds. Nonsense, I think constantly about sex and reflect on something else every 8 seconds. Something like, breathing!
superbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th 09, 17:00   #36
Sindatur
Techno-mage
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,519
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbob View Post
Problem goes back to the problems that were experienced by JMS. As you say, season one two and three were well written, and executed. With Season four, there was a lot of uncertainty regarding whether there would be a S5, so the race was on to finalize the main story arc that would see the end of the "great war" leaving the earth civilian war as a possible sacrifice. S5 was approved and we were fotunate to see the conclusion of the civil war, the telepath rebellion and the end of sheridans life in conjunction with the decomission of B5. Due to network dithering, s4 and s5 seemed to almost have a jerky "stop start:" sensation.

Unfortuantely I need to disagree with the "war scenes" as you put it. I thought they were the best battle scenes ever screened. The only two that surpasse the B5 battle sequences would be the opening battle of star wars ep 3 and the battle sequence in " serenity. That , however, is based purely on personal opinion
Yes, many of the events that skyrocketed to conclusion in the final 4 episodes of S4 (not counting Deconstruction of Falling Stars), were meant to overlap into the first few episodes of S5, and the events that started cold at the beginning of S5 (the Telepath migration for instance) were supposed to start more seamlessly in the last few episodes of S4. And of course Ivanova was supposed to still be on the show, and fall in love with Byron, and then be betrayed by Byron getting together with Lyta.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the man my Cat thinks I am

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 10, 18:27   #37
Trollheart
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Hi all, just registered but a LONGTIME B5 fan (before it was even a series --- watched "The Gathering", then called just "Babylon 5" on old VHS!) and just wanted to say hi to you all!

Also, having rewatched "Deconstruction" again, I have to say that although I know it was "tacked on" in fears of cancellation, it really was, for me, the perfect ending to the series, and in many ways it's a pity it wasn't left to the end of season 5 (had JMS not access to a time machine, fgs?) --- I really have not seen a better "ending" to one of the most superlative works of TV drama (not just sci-fi) in my life.

If I was to award it a score out of 10, I'd give it 11 (except that that would be tinkering with the laws of mathematics, wouldn't it?)

Is this spoiler-free? Just in case, I won't say what I want to say, but the final scene in SIL still makes me cry (you know the one!)

TH
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 10, 20:31   #38
Jan
Psi Cop
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,797
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Hi all, just registered but a LONGTIME B5 fan (before it was even a series --- watched "The Gathering", then called just "Babylon 5" on old VHS!) and just wanted to say hi to you all!
Ah, a First One!

Quote:
Also, having rewatched "Deconstruction" again, I have to say that although I know it was "tacked on" in fears of cancellation, it really was, for me, the perfect ending to the series, and in many ways it's a pity it wasn't left to the end of season 5 (had JMS not access to a time machine, fgs?) --- I really have not seen a better "ending" to one of the most superlative works of TV drama (not just sci-fi) in my life.
Not tacked on in fear of cancellation at all. It was actually the first episode filmed in the *fifth* season but moved to be the fourth season ender so that Sleeping in Light could be saved as the series finale. In other words, 501 became 422 and 422 became 523. Got it?

Quote:
If I was to award it a score out of 10, I'd give it 11 (except that that would be tinkering with the laws of mathematics, wouldn't it?)
Ah...obviously the above is perfectly understandable!

Quote:
Is this spoiler-free? Just in case, I won't say what I want to say, but the final scene in SIL still makes me cry (you know the one!)
There are at least 3 places in SiL where the tears flow for me.

Jan
__________________
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 10, 21:49   #39
Galahad
First One
 
Galahad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alcester, Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,779
Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
There are at least 3 places in SiL where the tears flow for me.

Jan
The unfailing teargates for me are when Sheridan is standing at the wall where he gave his major speech, and recalls it.... and C&C going up with added boom compared to the rest of the station going up.
__________________
We live for The One, we die for The One

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 10, 22:03   #40
Trollheart
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
Re: Episode Discussion (EpDis) Thread Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Hi all, just registered but a LONGTIME B5 fan (before it was even a series --- watched "The Gathering", then called just "Babylon 5" on old VHS!) and just wanted to say hi to you all!
Ah, a First One!
Quote:
Why, thank you! Hey, I knew I was old, but come on....
Quote:
Also, having rewatched "Deconstruction" again, I have to say that although I know it was "tacked on" in fears of cancellation, it really was, for me, the perfect ending to the series, and in many ways it's a pity it wasn't left to the end of season 5 (had JMS not access to a time machine, fgs?) --- I really have not seen a better "ending" to one of the most superlative works of TV drama (not just sci-fi) in my life.
Not tacked on in fear of cancellation at all. It was actually the first episode filmed in the *fifth* season but moved to be the fourth season ender so that Sleeping in Light could be saved as the series finale. In other words, 501 became 422 and 422 became 523. Got it?
Quote:
I always get confused about that. I thought it was supposed to be the ending but was "rushed" out to close season 4 in case there was no season 5? As Sideshow Bob once remarked:- "I --- was WRONG!"
Quote:
If I was to award it a score out of 10, I'd give it 11 (except that that would be tinkering with the laws of mathematics, wouldn't it?)
Ah...obviously the above is perfectly understandable!

Quote:
Is this spoiler-free? Just in case, I won't say what I want to say, but the final scene in SIL still makes me cry (you know the one!)
There are at least 3 places in SiL where the tears flow for me.

Jan
Quote:
Yeah, but it was full-blown howling when the station went up. In many ways, I really couldn't believe it was happening!
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2008 B5TV.COM