B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Born To The Purple
A -- Excellent 23 46.94%
B -- Good 23 46.94%
C -- Average 3 6.12%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7th 09, 07:18   #51
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: EpDis: The Parliament Of Dreams

Too long since I've seen them... I have been thinking about going through them all again. I was hoping maybe they would make it to Blu-Ray, but fat chance, for several reasons, I know...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th 09, 11:09   #52
GKarsEye
First One

I just don't think shaking a bunch of hands and hearing a list of names and religions and cultures is all that instructive. Yes, we have lots of different beliefs. Might as well just print out a list- same thing.

Not to get into a whole format discussion, but I don't think everything necessarily should be released to Blu-Ray. Only if it has real benefits. Obviously if B5 were to do that it would be great, but it was filmed like 15 yrs ago on a budget for TV.

I currently follow 3 network TV series which I record and watch in HD so when I put on The Gathering my eyes had to adjust from the lower quality.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th 09, 20:14   #53
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
I just don't think shaking a bunch of hands and hearing a list of names and religions and cultures is all that instructive. Yes, we have lots of different beliefs. Might as well just print out a list- same thing.
I think that Sinclair was just graphically pointing out that Earth has no "dominant religious belief."
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th 09, 00:25   #54
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I think that Sinclair was just graphically pointing out that Earth has no "dominant religious belief."
Eggs Ackley! And, the acceptance of all...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th 10, 20:30   #55
Estelyn
Commander

I really enjoyed rewatching this episode! That is due mostly to the excellent character development - not just G'Kar (who is wonderful all the way - a bit over the top, but I take it to be played tongue-in-cheek), but also the introduction of Lennier and Na'Toth, both wonderfully played by their respective actors.

JMS mentions his propensity for strong female roles, and Na'Toth is a perfect example. Her instant rapport with G'Kar and the fact that he trusts her when he would have reason not to do so is well written and acted.

Unlike some of the previous posters, I like the way the Sakai/Sinclair relationship is handled. Yes, the beginning is awkward, but entirely understandable for two people who have been so close and are trying to make themselves believe that they can stay out of trouble by attempting to keep each other at arm's length. There's a magnetism there - pushing each other away while simultaneously being pulled together.

What appeals to me most in this episode are the wonderful dialogues. The funny ones stick longest: Sakai's "your pants are talking to you", Na'Toth's not speculating how *anything* gets into G'Kar's bed, Lennier's "understanding is not required", and of course "Have a pleasant flight" at the end! All that and music too - G'Kar's sung ditty is priceless!

This episode has top entertainment value and is one I'll certainly come back to even when I watch selectively, picking out the ones I enjoy most.
Old March 24th 11, 04:14   #56
teacake
Lurker

This episode is just PACKED with fabness.

The "purple" line..
G'Kar switching the fruits.
The fabulous first Na'Toth (who I really missed when she was replaced).
G'Kar's character expanded upon, his SCREAM.. rather amusing considering how does not scream for much much worse things later on.

The first time I saw it I thought the ending quite wanky but watching it now through the eyes of a Bab 5 convert I thought it kind of moving.. though even the child that was watching it with me asked, "why did he say Aborigine, Aborigine isn't a religion.."

And here's my question having read only half this thread.. this ceremony with the red berries can be a marriage ceremony in certain instances. Delenn seems oddly.. in some kind of St. Teresa like ecstasy as she eats the berry and looks at Sinclair. Is this because she knows who he is? A kind of Bride of Valen moment?
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 11, 11:03   #57
Demonn
First One

But Delenn is a descendant of Valen... so Sinclair is her great grandpappy.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 11, 16:02   #58
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post

Time travel stuff always gives me a headache.
Old March 24th 11, 21:48   #59
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
According to the original narrative breakdown for the show printed in the special Volume 15 of the scriptbooks, in the original plan for Sinclair, he would never have gone back in time to become Valen but instead would've gone forward in time with Delenn as his wife and the two of them having just had a child. Since it wasn't until at some point after the show had been rolling along for a bit that jms decided to make Valen be Sinclair gone back in time, I imagine that "The Parliament Of Dreams" was written with still that original plan in mind.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 11, 23:49   #60
Demonn
First One

I wonder if Lennier would have killed him...

In this alternate universe of course.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote