B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Born To The Purple
A -- Excellent 23 46.94%
B -- Good 23 46.94%
C -- Average 3 6.12%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th 09, 22:02   #41
Urban Roy
Lurker

Re: EpDis: The Parliament Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Can you expand on why you disliked that part?
It was a few things. Firstly given that Sinclair didn't really have a plan on what to do in the previous scene (which was a few hours/days earlier) I found it somewhat unbelievable that he would have been able to assemble the people that he needed in time (I tend to get drawn into shows, so I'm not a fan of anything like this that pulls me out).

Secondly, I wasn't sure what made it a religious demonstration, it was just a line of people. All of the other alien species would have been able to show something similar. I'm sure that I have just seen an episode where Londo talks about the Centauri having 50 gods, and in By Any Means Necessary I think that G'Kar says that G'Kwan is one of a number of gods that the Narn follow (BTW I have cracked my way through to the start of Series 2, but am spending more time watching that writing up my thoughts... There are some episodes that I have loved but want to think about them a little before writing about them).

Thirdly, it felt like a cop out. I think that it is meant to be a demonstration of Earth's dominant religion(s), yes there are lots of religions but there are a few dominant ones. I thought that Sinclair should have just picked one, or a few, and run with it.

Re-reading this, it all reads as if I feel much more strongly about the scene than I do. As I said orginally it wasn't really for me, but I can see why others liked it.
Old April 5th 09, 23:49   #42
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
It was a few things. Firstly given that Sinclair didn't really have a plan on what to do in the previous scene (which was a few hours/days earlier) I found it somewhat unbelievable that he would have been able to assemble the people that he needed in time (I tend to get drawn into shows, so I'm not a fan of anything like this that pulls me out).
Well he does have around 150,000 (if you estimate 100,000 aliens) to ask around after... so he'd probably be able to pick out a fair number for the line up.

Quote:
Secondly, I wasn't sure what made it a religious demonstration, it was just a line of people.
It was a demonstration of what Sinclair to be most important - the right to complete freedom of religious belief/unbelief.

Quote:
All of the other alien species would have been able to show something similar. I'm sure that I have just seen an episode where Londo talks about the Centauri having 50 gods,
To my understanding, the Centauri have a singular mono/polytheistic belief. They believe ina Great Maker and have a common pantheon of lesser gods. Many gods but from the same cultural form of worship.

Quote:
and in By Any Means Necessary I think that G'Kar says that G'Quan is one of a number of gods that the Narn follow (BTW I have cracked my way through to the start of Series 2, but am spending more time watching that writing up my thoughts... There are some episodes that I have loved but want to think about them a little before writing about them).
The Narn if I remember rightly, worship their sun. The figures of G'Lan and G'Quan are similar in archetype to the Minbari Valen and Valerian. G'Quan doesn't appear to be a god, but rather a telepathic messianic figure from the time of the first Shadow War, who helped the Narn fend of the Shadows who had infiltrated the planet. G'Lan is... well, you'll see... but you'll understand my comments about Valerian later.

Quote:
Thirdly, it felt like a cop out. I think that it is meant to be a demonstration of Earth's dominant religion(s), yes there are lots of religions but there are a few dominant ones. I thought that Sinclair should have just picked one, or a few, and run with it.
That wouldn't sit with the character of Sinclair though would it? Sinclair demonstrates on a number of occasions (whether you agree or not), that the freedom of individual belief is Earth's greatest contribution to religion. And even then, in 200 years time... who knows what the actual level of worshippers in any belief will be... heck we are all being outgrown by the rise in Elvis impersonators.

Quote:
Re-reading this, it all reads as if I feel much more strongly about the scene than I do. As I said orginally it wasn't really for me, but I can see why others liked it.
Fair do's

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th 09, 03:12   #43
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, I'm an atheist, and I liked the lineup. To me it showed that Earth wasn't dominated by any one belief, and that all were accepted. Ironically, even though I reject all religions, I like that. To me, it was a demonstration of freedom.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th 09, 14:34   #44
GKarsEye
First One

FWIW Urban Roy, I agree with your opinion about that scene.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th 09, 01:10   #45
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
FWIW Urban Roy, I agree with your opinion about that scene.
Well, that's just because all you liberals hate freedom...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old April 7th 09, 03:25   #46
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I always read that as a rather blunt message to the audience more than anything else.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th 09, 04:57   #47
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
I always read that as a rather blunt message to the audience more than anything else.
Well, yeah, but message of what? JMS is an atheist...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old April 7th 09, 05:49   #48
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

And who's first in line?

Also the Jew and the Moslem are standing next to each other.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th 09, 06:52   #49
Jade Jaguar
First One

Is it an atheist first in line? I had forgotten...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old April 7th 09, 07:06   #50
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Is it an atheist first in line? I had forgotten...
Yep... infamously. Shame on you for forgetting... straight to the back of the class!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote