B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Torpedo or Missile
A -- Excellent 7 15.56%
B -- Good 13 28.89%
C -- Average 19 42.22%
D -- Poor 6 13.33%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20th 08, 16:18   #41
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Re: EpDis: Soul Hunter

"Soul Hunter" is an episode about Minbari religion and that's why I like it.I think that JMS didn't mean brain patterns or recorded personalities but real souls.We can see them coming out of the spheres at the end of the episode when Delenn set them free.I think that it's not the Christian concept of the soul that JMS is talking about.It's closer to the concepts of the Eastern religions where the souls are reborn into the next generation over and over again.

The episode is showing us that even if souls are a joke to humans they are very important to the Minbari.Important enough to stop a war because of them and to let a human be the head of a Minbari organization like the Rangers.

And I have a theory of mine about the connection between souls and evolution.The souls are reborn thousands or millions of times into the next generation of Minbari, Humans or other species and this brings them closer and closer to perfection.At some point the souls are so perfect that they evolve into something like energy beings like the Vorlons for example.I think that for JMS souls are the key to becoming more like the First Ones.That's just a theory.

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; May 21st 08 at 00:43.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th 08, 17:36   #42
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

But it's worth remembering that with Soul Hunter, JMS was exploring the concept of the Grim Reaper being a real being/beings rather than just a representation of death.

So it is relevant to humanity as well.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 08, 00:41   #43
Jade Jaguar
First One

Not a top favorite of mine, but I did like Soul Hunter. My biggest complaint would be that it was clearly inspired by Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock comic. But, that's also why I liked it...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 08, 01:41   #44
hypatia
First One

Quick comment about the title: those who called the race "Soul Hunters" believed for the most part in the existence of the soul. That's not a measure of rightness, but of opinion. Like calling some group an "army of light". For all we know, the other side could be calling themselves the exact same thing.

What escaped could have been the medium the whatevers were stored in. No "proof" there these are real souls.

Why didn't they try to get Sheridan? One interesting possibility: maybe their race had died out or been destroyed by then.
Old May 21st 08, 16:20   #45
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
My biggest complaint about the episode (all my personal opinion, of course) is how much the actors chew the scenery in most scenes (the exception being the lurker funerary scene between Ivanova and Franklin, which for me is the biggest reason I'll rewatch the episode).
Ma-cho-RIH-cho...

That dude rules.

And it has my favorite... N'Grath! I want to make a spin-off series with that fella.

Quote:
Why didn't they try to get Sheridan?
Would you try messing w/ Lorien?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st 08, 20:40   #46
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Although... in the UK, the Minbari language name of the Soul Hunter does sound a bit dodgy...

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old October 19th 08, 13:53   #47
Galahad
First One

Just been re-watching and I have a hypothetical question.

Do you think that Delenn released the Soul Hunter from his orb?

My gut instinct/opinion says that she probably did... but he was the last to go.

Opinions?

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Old April 2nd 09, 13:01   #48
Urban Roy
Lurker

Hello all, I've been working my way through the first half of series one so I thought that I would wander over and share some of my thoughts so far. I have to say that this was the first episode that I, pretty much, unambiguously enjoyed. Interesting to see that actually this is one of the episodes that a lot of you are not fans of. I wonder if I will feel the differently once I have got to the end of the series.

Certainly agree that it was over acted in parts but it was forgivable, there certainly wasn't any acting that made me want to switch off.

Most importantly for me the plot was coherent. The Soul Hunter appeared in his broken ship because he was being chased down by another Soul Hunter which is why the crew found out what was going on and could try to stop him. The Soul Hunter had become warped because he had been thwarted by the Minbari, which then also explained why he wanted Delenn.

I'm also enjoying Delenn's propensity to try to solve things with random acts of violence, which, for a Minbari ruler seems rather an unfortunate personality trait.
Old April 3rd 09, 00:38   #49
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
I'm also enjoying Delenn's propensity to try to solve things with random acts of violence....
That's an interesting observation; I've never really thought of Delenn in that way before.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd 09, 03:32   #50
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
That's an interesting observation; I've never really thought of Delenn in that way before.
1 Gravity, 2 Gravity, 3 Gravity...
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote