B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Favorite recurring character: Season 3
A -- Excellent 2 4.17%
B -- Good 11 22.92%
C -- Average 14 29.17%
D -- Poor 17 35.42%
F -- Failure 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22nd 07, 14:30   #21
KoshN

Re: EpDis: TKO

Why is this thread and Poll titled "Favorite recurring character: Season 3" ???
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 23:28   #22
Elipsis
Commander

Interesting that some people like this. This for me is the only episode of B5 that I would ever rate a failure.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 23:31   #23
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
Interesting that some people like this. This for me is the only episode of B5 that I would ever rate a failure.
Even the Ivanova part of the episode mourning for her father?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 07, 00:04   #24
Elipsis
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Even the Ivanova part of the episode mourning for her father?
I still thought it was pretty painful. If Ivanova had a part in the other story and it was effecting her in some way it would have been more relevent (similar to the way Sheridan's "beauty in the dark" session with Kosh helped him in There All the Honor Lies) It was ok as character development but it seemed out of place somehow, and I didn't find it nearly as interesting as the actual death of her father.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th 08, 18:25   #25
Cell
Telepath

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/...babylon-5-114/
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th 08, 21:05   #26
dreamer
Ranger

I rather like TKO, but then again I don't think that the first season episode Infection is at all that what some might moan. It had a very valid concept.

Walker Smith's character was rather off with the tone of the series, but the story wasn't half bad - an ex contender trying to get back in the game by competing in a sport where no human has competed before. Honestly, I don't see any better way to promote yourself back to the show and how is that not a story worth telling? I mean, there will and always has been human martial arts champions, but to be the first to fight in something no other human has done before? That will get attention from all directions because first of all, it suggests that you're tougher than other humans and I bet that every single serious fighter would try to fight that guy to prove otherwise.

Also, expecting realistic choreography is nothing but unrealistic - even though when a fight scene breaks... about anywhere, you have everyone doing jump kicks and backflips and whatever. I agree however that the story was a bit too lightly told since there could've been a lot there, but this isn't the new BSG and things just aren't very heavy in the show.

Hating the Ivanova story because of one's own view on religions is a bit foolish. I hoped too that Susan wouldt've sat shiva, but how wrong can one millionbillion people be? I mean, in the end Susan also felt that having people close to you was a good idea when you're hurting. That's how Susan's character was portrayed, no matter how remote a russian she has been occasionally portrayed before. Also, how else a rabbi should've behaved? From a writer's point of view it would've been rather useless to throw in a unorthodox rabbi who would've agreed with Susan 100% and not do what they usually do.

And these are just my immediate thoughts about your thoughts of the episode.

"See good in bad. I like."
- Some guy on Fifth Element
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 08, 01:05   #27
Cell
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Hating the Ivanova story because of one's own view on religions is a bit foolish. I hoped too that Susan wouldt've sat shiva, but how wrong can one millionbillion people be? I mean, in the end Susan also felt that having people close to you was a good idea when you're hurting. That's how Susan's character was portrayed, no matter how remote a russian she has been occasionally portrayed before. Also, how else a rabbi should've behaved? From a writer's point of view it would've been rather useless to throw in a unorthodox rabbi who would've agreed with Susan 100% and not do what they usually do.
I didn't hate the Ivanova storyline, it just wasn't great. It was a decent storyline that was acceptable TV, but it wasn't anything special. TKO can thank that storyline for even garnering a D+, because without it this was a definite F episode and probably the worst of the series, behind even Infection.

As for my feeling on the religious issue of Shiva being forced, they are what they are. I thought it was terrible how that aspect was handled. I have no problem with Ivanova deciding to sit Shiva after all, but I didn't like the way the episode hammered home "Rabbi Koslov is right, you are wrong, sit Shiva or you are a bad person." Maybe you didn't get that vibe or pick that up, and that's cool, but I couldn't stand how heavy handed the episode was about religion, not a trait usually found in B5.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 08, 02:05   #28
Jade Jaguar
First One

I think the real point was not that she sit Shiva specifically, but that she stop suppressing/denying her emotions, and express them.

I've already explained, often enough, in other threads, why I think TKO is actually a good ep, because of the Mutai Do story line, so I won't repeat that again.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 08, 16:09   #29
maneth
Ambassador

It's not one of my faves, but I still like it. Especially the Ivanova part, but I don't hate the fighting either.
Old August 26th 08, 20:58   #30
dreamer
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell View Post
vibe
Yeah, I did, and like you said that it was "acceptable TV", I don't think that anyone could've watched the episode and not expect things turn out how they did. Interestingly enough, if Susan would've stayed firm and perhaps even distance herself from everyone even more by telling them one by one that it was none of their concern, I would've rated that episode to my top 10 or something immediately. Not so much because a particular religion would've gotten a bitch slap, but mostly because it really would've established her character great deal more. I loved the cynical and pessimistic occasional Ivanova, and a degree of dysfunction over relationships would've gotten a big welcome from me.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote