B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The River Of Souls
A -- Excellent 1 3.70%
B -- Good 13 48.15%
C -- Average 9 33.33%
D -- Poor 4 14.81%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12th 07, 16:09   #31
GKarsEye
First One

Re: EpDis: The River Of Souls

Quote:
The only other role that Martin Sheen played off better was Robert E. Lee in Gettysburg.
Um...dude... what?

two words: Apocolypse Now
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th 07, 20:14   #32
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
Um...dude... what?

two words: Apocolypse Now
The Dead Zone (1983)

The Final Countdown (1980)
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th 07, 06:33   #33
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
The Dead Zone (1983)

I'm sorry I said that Martin Sheen was best in Gettysburg but I just haven't had the opportunity to see the other films just yet. I'm just going on the films that I've seen him in like Spawn, Gettysburg and of course River of Souls. I may even think that he did great in Apocalypse Now but I'm personally raising my bar with Robert E. Lee..IMHO
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th 07, 16:56   #34
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
The Dead Zone (1983)

I loved the Final Countdown, even if the Captain of the ship nearly caused a paradox... purely out of patriotic spirit.

Although that would actually be impossible in our current understanding of time theory because if there is only one universe... it is impossible to change what has already happened... and if there is more than one universe, the events you thought you were altering would in fact be happening in an entirely different universe.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th 07, 05:52   #35
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I loved the Final Countdown, even if the Captain of the ship nearly caused a paradox... purely out of patriotic spirit.
It was a hoot seeing F-14s splash Zeroes.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old July 14th 08, 05:34   #36
Elipsis
Commander

I gave this a C.

It really wasn't at all interesting. And while it was nice they did something with the Soul Hunter arc there isn't a lot to be excited about in this episode for me. It's cute in places, but it is still my least favorite of the original set of B5 movies.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 08, 05:56   #37
hypatia
First One

Many agree with you on that point, myself included. And they had a good guest star to work with, and completely wasted him. Martin Sheen often plays rather subdued characters, but this one seemed... drugged.

An interesting premise that didn't unfold as entertainingly as I'd have hoped. I'm not sure why, either, but it just didn't seem to stand up to the rest of the series or the tv-movies.
Old July 14th 08, 22:56   #38
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

I think that "The River Of Souls" would not be a bad story for an episode.Perhaps one of the reasons why we didn't like it much was that it was decided as a movie so the fans expected more from it.I personally didn't understand why so much prescious time of the film was taken showing that silly bar for virtual sex.
Old July 18th 08, 05:03   #39
Elipsis
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
I think that "The River Of Souls" would not be a bad story for an episode.Perhaps one of the reasons why we didn't like it much was that it was decided as a movie so the fans expected more from it.I personally didn't understand why so much prescious time of the film was taken showing that silly bar for virtual sex.
Probably because it could have worked as a 45 minute episode.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 08, 18:42   #40
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
I gave this a C.

It really wasn't at all interesting. And while it was nice they did something with the Soul Hunter arc there isn't a lot to be excited about in this episode for me. It's cute in places, but it is still my least favorite of the original set of B5 movies.
Upon first viewing, it was also my least favorite of:
  • The Gathering
  • In the Beginning
  • Thirdspace
  • The River of Souls
  • A Call to Arms

...but since that time, it's grown on me and I find that I now like it more than Thirdspace. "To Live and Die in Starlight" came along in January 2002 to strongly claim the bottom spot on my list. And no, I don't call the Lost Tales thing a movie; it's more like a couple of tenuously connected B-threads, not even an entire, traditional B5 episode, let alone a "movie." If I was going to rank them all, including Lost Tales, it'd go like this, from best to worst:
  • In the Beginning - A
  • A Call to Arms - A
  • The Gathering - B-
  • The River of Souls - C+
  • Thirdspace - C- (mainly a CGI fest)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over There - C- (because it was so thin.)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over Here - D
  • To Live and Die in Starlight - F

I find that at least, The River of Souls looks like a Babylon 5 story (unlike "To Live and Die in Starlight" and to a certain extent Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales.). Also, I think this is one of Scoggins' best performances as Lochley. However, Martin Sheen's character, as Hypatia said, seemed drugged. I also thought the Ian McShane and Richard Biggs did very well in their roles. Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Many agree with you on that point, myself included. And they had a good guest star to work with, and completely wasted him. Martin Sheen often plays rather subdued characters, but this one seemed... drugged.

An interesting premise that didn't unfold as entertainingly as I'd have hoped. I'm not sure why, either, but it just didn't seem to stand up to the rest of the series or the tv-movies.
Look at that opening in The River of Souls. THAT'S a B5 story. Now, go look at To Live and DIe in Starlight or Babylon 5- The Lost Tales - Over Here. Those two don't stand up to The River of Souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
Probably because it could have worked as a 45 minute episode.
No, that was just the B-thread, the minor story, and so it's traditional B5, plus, it's funny.