B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.personnel

Old May 14th 08, 16:35   #1
maneth
Ambassador

Short but sweet Claudia Christian interview

Five questions with Claudia Christian

The site's in German, but just scroll down for the English version of the interview.
Old May 14th 08, 20:34   #2
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Re: Short but sweet Claudia Christian interview

Quote:
As I have said before I would always put the Ivanova uniform back on, but I seriously doubt that I will ever be asked to again.
Does this mean that there's some friction between her and JMS or she just does not believe that there will be a B5 movie with her character in it anymore.
Old May 14th 08, 20:37   #3
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
Does this mean that there's some friction between her and JMS....
I would say that "some friction" would be an understatement.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 08, 20:58   #4
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I would say that "some friction" would be an understatement.
So it's not just my impression, VL.JMS could be upset with her because she left the show but weren't those morons her managers responsible for this.At least that's what I've heard.

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; May 14th 08 at 21:00.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 08, 21:17   #5
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
So it's not just my impression, VL.JMS could be upset with her because she left the show but weren't those morons her managers responsible for this.At least that's what I've heard.
It's a really long story that essentially boils down to this: money. Claudia wanted time off from the fifth season to do some film. jms and the other executive producers had no problem with that; they'd done similar things for others on the show before. The problem came in Claudia wanting the time off to be written into her contract such that she would only be appearing in 18 episodes but still be paid as if she were appearing in all 22 episodes of the season. Legally, if they did this, it would trigger a part of all the other actors' contracts that would enable them to renegotiate their contracts. They just couldn't treat Claudia differently than the other actors.

There was a deadline date that occurred during a convention in England that any of the actors who wanted to be in the fifth season had to sign their contracts by. Claudia didn't sign hers.

The extent of this story is much longer than what I type here; it can be found much more fully described by jms in the 11th scriptbook. But what it came down to was that Claudia tried to get paid more than what her option from her original contract said she could be paid, and if the producers went along with what she wanted, it would trigger a part of all the other actors' contracts enabling them to renegotiate, which would have increased the budget for season five beyond that which TNT and WB would allow for production. It would have prevented season five from happening at all, and studio pressures led to season five barely happening as it was.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th 08, 21:23   #6
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

I see.Thanks Vacantlook.Helpful as always.The conclusion is: "Greed can destroy you" or in this case "greed can end your career".
Old May 15th 08, 00:25   #7
hypatia
First One

Are you sure? She probably got paid better for doing film work (no matter how horrible the film) than she would have on B5. I'm fairly sure the new stories aren't gong to make any of the actors rich.

I thought the real problem wasn't the contract dispute, but the apparant lieing that went out publicly to save face when fans were understandably upset at her sudden departure. The impression I got was that JMS didn't see the contract dispute as the problem, but the public blame game that went on afterwards, with Claudia's side apparantly out-right lieing about events that had occured.

That would royally piss off anyone, I think. Especially if those lies cast you and your project in a very bad light.
Old May 15th 08, 10:23   #8
GaribaldisHair
First One

JMS has form where it comes to re-casting actors who have hacked him off. He was royally peeved at Robert Foxworth for dropping out of Severed Dreams at the last minute because his agent had double booked him with DS9, but that didn't stop him from casting him as the President in a few episode of Jeremiah because he was the right actor for the job.

If a B5 project comes along for which Ivanova is a necessary character, I don't think JMS would have a problem asking.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 08, 16:29   #9
Garovorkin
Telepath

And what has Claudia Christian done of significants since her days in B5 ? not much, I think she was supposed to get the lead role in the Ill faded Highlander series Highlander the Raven which went to Aamanda Grayson. She's had a few bit parts in movies and I think she was the narrator charter in a video game and a voice actor in the Disney Movie disappointment Alantis.

Last edited by Garovorkin; May 17th 08 at 16:31.
Garovorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th 09, 08:04   #10
wade8069
Ranger

Ya, that's cool, I watched this interview somewhere else before. I like her.
wade8069 is offline   Reply With Quote