B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Choose someone else...and who?
A -- Excellent 18 36.73%
B -- Good 25 51.02%
C -- Average 6 12.24%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4th 04, 20:07   #11
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Re: EpDis: Midnight On The Firing Line

If you compare it to other episodes in the series, it's was good. If you compare it with all the other dreck it was competing with during its original run, even Byron episodes get an A!
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 08, 23:59   #12
Cell
Telepath

I have started doing reviews for every episode of B5 for a site that I write for, here's a link to my review of this episode. I figured this would be cool to post, but if it's not then just let me know and I won't post the links to any of the other eps in their respective pages here when I get around to posting them for that site. Any comments or feedback would be welcome, either here or at the actual site.

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/...-101/#more-235
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th 08, 00:07   #13
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Well good job Cell.You've done quite an analysis.
Old March 2nd 09, 22:14   #14
Urban Roy
Lurker

I thought that this episode was much better than the pilot, there was a lot of plot going on and the acting was more uniform and generally better (the replacement characters were a great improvement). I also liked the way that the problems on Ragesh 3 were mirrored in microcosm by the relationship between Londo and G'Kar. However for me this episode really came to life during the final scene between Winters and Ivanova where we find out why Ivanova has been rude. That was genuinely, character driven tension,and beautifully acted.

The main plots were mostly good although the episode was somewhat ruined for me by the Deus Ex Machina moment linking two independent story lines when, coincidentally Sinclair found a Narn on the Raiders' command and control ship, which then allowed him to blackmail G'Kar into withdrawing the Narn Forces on Ragesh 3. Put it this way, if the Raiders had started a couple of months earlier or later then this tool wouldn't have been available and the Ragesh 3 situation would not have been sorted out.

I'm also not sure that the Narn would have backed down so easily...in fact I had quite a lot of sympathy for their position. If Ragesh 3 was originally a Narn planet then why shouldn't they have it back? 100 years is no time at all (just look at various former colonies around the world today). Re-invasion/war may not be the right route to take but it doesn't mean that the principle isn't correct.
Old March 2nd 09, 22:47   #15
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Very much agreed. The Gathering definitely has it's problems, and Midnight on the Firing Line is definitely superior to it. The next 4 or 5 episodes may be a little uneven (some are very good, some not so good), but, once you get beyond those, 95% or better of the episodes are are of really good quality.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 09, 23:33   #16
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
The main plots were mostly good although the episode was somewhat ruined for me by the Deus Ex Machina moment linking two independent story lines when....
To me it says that the two storylines weren't independent. The raiders storyline was more about the Narn than the Raiders, as it reveals that the Narn are major blackmarket weapons dealers. The Raiders were just the means by which we learned of it in this episode. Who knows how Sinclair would've handled the Ragesh situation without the Narn/Raider weaponry incident, but that he used the Narn/Raider incident to solve the Ragesh problem reveals Sinclair's political resourcefulness.

Last edited by vacantlook; March 2nd 09 at 23:36.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 09, 05:24   #17
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah, I always felt folks ought to start with "Midnight." In fact, considering how complicated the B5 universe is, it's an amazing introduction to a whole lot of things. -- I almost started telling what those things were, but for Urban's sake I'll keep quiet. Suffice it to say, if you watch "Midnight" again after watching the whole series through, you'll be astonished at what gets hinted at. With the possible exception of the first episode of Firefly, this is the most perfect first episode of a series that I've ever seen.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 09, 17:10   #18
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

It still stands up well today, and I have nostalgia about being 14 or so and loving the Starfuries. It was enough to get me watching. Signs and Portents got me hooked ...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 09, 17:18   #19
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
It still stands up well today, and I have nostalgia about being 14 or so and loving the Starfuries. It was enough to get me watching. Signs and Portents got me hooked ...
I actually became quickly attached with the Gathering, due to the CGI, it was awesome, and I would've watched more of the show just for that. But, Mind War and And the Sky Full of Stars got me hooked, and future great episodes just added something even more special for me.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd 09, 19:09   #20
Matthew
Ranger

Urban Roy...I think you are spot on.

I got into the show around 2005 and quickly gobbled it up. I started with The Gathering, and I must admit, that was enough to hook me in. And then I've always loved "Midnight on the Firing Line". I think the TG and MoTFL are probably the two episodes I've watched the most, believe it or not. There is just something about them that I love...and even I would probably not rank them as my top two favorites.

If you can, I would suggest downloading The Gathering from iTunes so that you can watch the original broadcast version...on DVD we get the TNT "Director's Cut", so to speak, of The Gathering. I think the original is fun to watch for comparison, as there is some interesting stuff in there (at least, IMHO).

I just know it'll be fun to relive the series with you...keep the thoughts coming!
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote