B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Rising Star
A -- Excellent 7 28.00%
B -- Good 7 28.00%
C -- Average 4 16.00%
D -- Poor 5 20.00%
F -- Failure 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24th 06, 01:38   #71
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: EpDis: A View From The Gallery

Quote:
Well, since JMS has always maintained that he enjoys starting bar fights over his shows, particularly with his off-format episodes, then I can only conclude that AVftG was an unqualified success, since there are those here who hate it with a passion, and others who would count it among their very favourite eps.

Subjectivity rules ... I love it!
For the record, it isn't "one of my favorites," but I like it. I'll admit that I was a bit put off by it at the beginning, since it is so different from what JMS normally does with B5. But, when I came to see what he was doing, I enjoyed it as a light-hearted, satirical, self-effacing, bit of humor, with a few serious moments, like with Byron, who I do like.

VL's observation is right on.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th 06, 18:13   #72
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, like techs who use the equipment wouldn't have a clue as to what that equipment does. That was ridiculous. How do they know if it's working? You'd let these guys work on your important systems? At some points, they seem hardly more knowledgable than janitors, and at other moments, they're tearing into the defense grid during a battle, <u>and successfully fixing it!</u> That incongruity seems like lazy writing, to me.

Surely you've had a job that required doing things that seemed pointless.
I've never had a job where I was using a tool and had no idea what the tool did. Sure, I've had jobs that initially seemed pointless, but after some investigation, I found the reason for doing the job, and by "reason" I don't mean solely "because I was told to do so." (No, I've never been in the military.) I dunno, maybe I instinctively rebel against being treated like a mindless automaton. <u>There has to be meaning.</u> Otherwise, I'd program a robot to do the job, and I'd be off doing something else.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th 06, 18:37   #73
KoshN

Quote:
Wow, you really enjoy hating this episode.

Then I guess, in a way, it entertained you.
But I didn't "hate" the episode. In fact, I can't think of any B5 episodes I truly hate. "Believers" comes the closest. In the TV movies, "To Live and Die in Starlight" comes the closest. In Crusade, "Ruling from the Tomb" comes the closest, but even that is rescued by Eilerson, Trace, Dureena, Gideon and Matheson.

I find ~95% of "A View from the Gallery" to be padding, dull, clichéd and improbable, a waste of time, ...as in "Why am I watching this?" The only good parts are when the camera is solely on Franklin (like when Franklin is covering up the bodies), and Londo &amp; G'Kar (in their own little world).
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 08, 00:30   #74
Elipsis
Commander

I really disliked this episode, in fact I think it is among the worst of B5. I see there have already been many pages of debating the legitimacy of adding in miscellaneous aliens to B5, but to me it just felt like shoddy writing and half-assed story stretching. Yes yes, it could have been normal and blah and blah and we don't know everything about the unknowns of blah blah and such... but it still feels like crap storytelling to me and no argument about whether or not such an attack fits within the believability of the B5 universe is going to change that for me.

Bo and Mack weren't interesting to me - the dialog was more corny than interesting or moving, and the prosthetics were red fucking helmets.

It also really downplayed the awesome dramatic feel that always comes with actual combat on or near Babylon 5. (Remember how rare shooting was in the first 2 seasons, and how epic it felt when someone finally yelled "Close blast doors!"?) Maybe that was the intent of the episode, but I really wasn't feeling it. Any of it.

The only reason it's not a failure was the Londo / G'kar sequence. D-
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 08, 01:09   #75
vacantlook

I can understand not liking the Mack and Bo characters, but faulting the episode for having "miscellaneous aliens" is kind of strange considering how many times there actually were miscellaneous aliens in the show. We can easily get used to thinking limited aliens because the focus is on the Minbari, Centauri, Narn, and Vorlons so much, but there are miscellaneous aliens that show up once and never mean anything beyond the one episode, so it's not like it's some rarity limited to just this one episode.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 08, 04:19   #76
hypatia
First One

That's true: many species, or aliens to us, most likely weren't even part of the League of Non-allied Worlds.

As always, I found this episode one of the best of the last season. Just goes to show you: different people have different tastes.

Although, does the episode make sense in the context of the "oh, it was all just a historical simulation"? But then again, I just feel JMS threw that in, without really considering it throughout the entire show. It's honestly the one sort of "cop-out" in the show, IMHO. It adds nothing to the story, and almost seems like a joke he threw in at the last minute.

But if these really were historical documents, not events that we're getting a real peek into, those historians seem to have had access to some pretty trivial records. Or just made stuff up.

In any event, I like the view from the gallery we get. And the episode adds to the image of Delen being generally concerned and considerate of all people in all ranks. Not to mention it adds a bit of a "?" to the whole Byron story. Just what was he doing, and more importantly why, when he let Bo get a peek into the mind of a soldier on the front lines, fending off the attack. And how they seemed equally sympathetic to the invaders as they were to their own races and their own kind.

Was that a genuine attempt to connect with mundanes, of all races and kinds? Or was it more like a lab scientist observing how his lab rats interact with each other?

But of course, Mac and Bo and their conversations really make the episode for me. The only corny dialog, really, that I remember from B5 was when Penn and Teller guest-starred.

Boy, was that a mistake. At least for me.
Old March 2nd 08, 12:58   #77
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Not to mention it adds a bit of a "?" to the whole Byron story. Just what was he doing, and more importantly why, when he let Bo get a peek into the mind of a soldier on the front lines, fending off the attack. And how they seemed equally sympathetic to the invaders as they were to their own races and their own kind.

Was that a genuine attempt to connect with mundanes, of all races and kinds? Or was it more like a lab scientist observing how his lab rats interact with each other?
Well I always took Byron as a quasi-religious figure for his people. If you think of it like that, it has parallels with some of the things Christ did. Most of his ministry was directed towards the jewish people... but then you get glimpses of it extending out in cases of the centurion's servant and the syro-phoenician woman etc. I would say that this was Byron letting the dogs eat the crumbs from the children's table.

Negative or annoying as he is portrayed... I don't see Byron or his people as a malevolent influence until he gets his brain fried by sleeping with Lyta. I really do think that sent him over the edge.

Quote:
But of course, Mac and Bo and their conversations really make the episode for me. The only corny dialog, really, that I remember from B5 was when Penn and Teller guest-starred.

Boy, was that a mistake. At least for me.
Yeah I agree on that... as for the latter, fortunately the rest of the episode made it bearable

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th 10, 19:25   #78
Estelyn
Commander

I really like this episode! I can understand some of the objections that have been mentioned so far, but I am not bothered by them. What I appreciate is the light-hearted and warm-hearted atmosphere, the amusing, often tongue-in-cheek dialogues, the different than usual viewpoint.

I am very amused by the cool reaction displayed by Bo and Mack, right in the middle of the big action beginning. Obviously they've experienced so many red alerts that this is just a "same old" feeling for them. They're only mildly aggravated because they'll have to clean up whatever mess ensues afterwards. They show their trust in the "warrior caste", those responsible for keeping them safe, and are content to stick to their own jobs and capabilities. It's almost a childlike trust, safe in the knowledge that the parents will make sure everything is alright: "Our guys will handle it".

The two actors really make their characters come alive! I get a bit of a Laurel and Hardy feeling with them, though the role of straight man bounces back and forth between them. And I disagree with the idea that the "big ones" wouldn't have to be shown in this episode - it is precisely the fresh view of them from a different vantage point that makes the show so good.

I chuckle over their opinions - and what they say about Sheridan really reminds me of what aged Delenn said in "Deconstruction" - he's a good man. The additional line about him having been dead, "Nobody's perfect", is so funny!

Much of their dialogue consists of questions they're asking on behalf of the viewers. I can imagine using this episode to introduce someone new to the events of the fifth season.

The Ivanova rumours and comments echo the real life events that involved Claudia Christian leaving the show. Londo and G'Kar's bickering (more good-natured than annoyed now) is seen as being like that of an old married couple - reminds me of the "Odd Couple".

I like the scene with Dr. Franklin - some very thoughtful lines there. Going back to him for the final scene is sobering and moving. Worse than any messes to clean up are the losses suffered - and the two characters clearly see and appreciate the meaning of that fact. Even more poignant are the lights above the bodies, saying "Welcome to Babylon 5".

The comparisons for the White Stars are also amusing - first saying they look like plucked chickens, then like angels who fly in to save the day.

What inspires the greatest admiration is finally not courage or military prowess, but love - the relationship between Sheridan and Delenn is the highlight for Bo and Mack.

And one more thing: the bugs that show up all over the station, disrupting equipment, must be the ones that Londo fought with his sword, right? A nice touch, connecting a minor element from a previous episode...
Old April 14th 11, 02:55   #79
Demonn
First One

I think this is my favorite episode of Babylon 5... it's tough narrowing it down but, man, I loved this episode & I'm surprised it has such a mixed vote.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th 11, 03:27   #80
hypatia
First One

It's different, that always gets mixed responses.

It's one of my favorites, too. "Waiting for [I still can't spell that name, Gethsemene?]" I think is closer to my heart (raised Catholic and all that rot), and so I'd have to reluctantly say my second favorite.

The end of "War Without End" just can't be matched, though. "My God! A Minbari not born of Minbari." I am so glad that the story evolved to this, it's just an amazing plot "twist".