B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Thirdspace
A -- Excellent 5 15.63%
B -- Good 18 56.25%
C -- Average 6 18.75%
D -- Poor 1 3.13%
F -- Failure 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4th 07, 16:10   #31
hypatia
First One

Re: EpDis: Thirdspace

Still, that is a pretty big difference. I like one friend's theory about how book 7 of Harry Potter will end. "They all get on the Night Bus, and it explodes."

Seriously, though, JKR had her deaths planned for very major characters early on in her storytelling.

I'd guess that's harder to pull off with television. Let's face it, folks, fans are very distraught after their favorites have been killed off. Some even stop watching the show. So perhaps television has to be a little less cavalier about it than literature.
Old December 18th 07, 16:41   #32
Elipsis
Commander

We just watched this approximately chronologically where it should be in the S4 story.

First off, the special FX are just fucking gorgeous. They really came a long way throughout the series in improving detail and quality of their graphics, and it really shows here.

The story itself, though only loosely related to anything else in the main series, stands on its own as good. Not amazing or gripping by any means, but solidly entertaining and as appropriately epic as the first* B5 movie ought to be.

I also enjoyed the huge scene between Zack and Zack in the elevator. Quite amusing and not the kind of thing you'd have time to do at length in a 45 minute haul.

It's always risky to play the "well, the Vorlon Shadow threat was kinda bad, but here's an even bigger one" card, but they introduced it well.

I found it cool that they worked in all the abilities from the first ones into a single race

-Weird cloaking invisible power (Shadows)
-Telepathy (Vorlons)
-Energy Drain Technology (Sigma 957 Aliens)

I would've liked a better explanation as to where the fuck they came from. If B5 takes place entirely in the Milky Way, were they simply from beyond our galaxy? The usage of the word "universe" confuses me here.

I really liked the scene where the white star is just plowing firepower into this thirdspace ship, which just calmly turns and fires at the whitestar before taking any damage.

Would give it an A, but they never did anything with the story, and tended to dismiss the "a few thirdspace ships / aliens are now wandering around our galaxy" line.

Also, all the fighting and why certain people were mind controlled and others weren't... was never really properly explained or even noticed by any of our characters... and I don't like getting hit that hard in the face by unexplainable plot devices.

Last edited by Elipsis; December 18th 07 at 16:44. Reason: more reasons not an A
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 07, 17:36   #33
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipsis View Post
I also enjoyed the huge scene between Zack and Zack in the elevator. Quite amusing and not the kind of thing you'd have time to do at length in a 45 minute haul.
Is "between Zack and Zack" a typo, or a joke referencing the conversation being so one-sided? I like that scene a lot too. And to think that the scene wasn't originally in the script, having been written to be added when they realized they were coming in short.

Quote:
I would've liked a better explanation as to where the fuck they came from. If B5 takes place entirely in the Milky Way, were they simply from beyond our galaxy? The usage of the word "universe" confuses me here.
I thought it was sufficiently stated that they were from an alternate dimension.

Last edited by vacantlook; December 18th 07 at 18:32.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 07, 18:20   #34
Elipsis
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Is "between Zack and Zack" a typo, or a joke referencing the conversation being so one-sided?
The latter.

Glad someone noticed.

Last edited by Elipsis; December 18th 07 at 18:21. Reason: Glad you noticed.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 08, 18:37   #35
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

This is my favourite B5 movie because it shows the psychology of the Vorlons.Millions of years ago it was not enough for them to be one of the major powers in the galaxy.They wanted to become Gods and the Universe punished them for their arrogance.This reminds me of the phrase that Sheridan said to Kosh:"Wait, I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe. But I don't buy it."

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; March 28th 08 at 16:38.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th 08, 16:05   #36
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I like Thirdspace a LOT. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see it remastered visually (with the same uberness of Lost Tales) just to watch it again my big screen. It was very creepy and it had the feel of something older, darker and more sinister than anything in the B5 galaxy--first ones, shadows, vorlons, pshah! Whatever it was in Thirdspace just creeps me right out.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th 08, 16:40   #37
maneth
Ambassador

Yeah, me too. I'd just love to see those FX rendered with today's tech. They would look even more stunning than they already do. Still, the story gets to me every time, and the implications if those things were let loose are really something.
Old March 29th 08, 02:40   #38
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Yeah, there is something almost "Event Horizon" about it.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th 08, 22:26   #39
Cell
Telepath

Just watched this yesterday after not having seen it for a little while. A fun ride throughout. I especially loved the designs of the alien ships and the aliens themselves. It wasn't a real thinking man's movie, but that's fine, because not all of B5 has to be that. This was an action adventure flick that flew by because of how fast paced it was, and it was done well. It had its flaws, such as Belafonte, but it still deserves a B.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th 15, 02:33   #40
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I just watched Thirdspace for the first time in quite a few years ... Well, it was the first time in a while that I watched the whole movie, anyway. I have combed through it more recently to get some scenes to use as illustration of the "evil archaeologist" trope.

It wasn't nearly as terrible as I remembered it. "Evil/clueless archaeologist + dangerous artifact = Oh gods, we're all going to die!" plots tend to immediately trigger my eyeroll reflex, but this isn't the worst execution of that type of story I've ever seen. The "artifact" looks pretty cool, at least. And the completely new, weird alien ships are pretty cool ... Other than that it's mostly just a non-arc episode that goes on for a long time.

Sheridan gets to nuke something again. Kind of amazing he's still able to procreate after all that. I had to laugh at that bit where he's just floating in space in his spacesuit, amidst a giant battle.

The "oh hey, all's well that ends well" at the end bothered me too. Um, a whole bunch of people just died. And your ships are seriously damaged. You're going to need those to go up against Earth ... And how are you going to replace all those dead pilots?

Biggest laugh of the movie is Ivanova saying they've carbon dated the artifact and found it's over a million years old. But, let's be generous and assume that there's a dating method in the 23rd century Babylon 5 universe that is called "carbon dating", but that is nothing at all like what we call carbon dating in the real world 21st century.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote