B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 4th 07, 03:17   #21
KoshN

Re: Marcus???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
This leads me to wonder whether Byron would have been less annoying if he had only been in a few episodes. Secondly, how would his lines have changed if he had been talking to Ivonova rather than Lyta? I really cannot imagine Ivonova putting up with any "willow tree" crap.
Byron would have been less annoying if played by a different actor. I can't stand Robin Atkin Downes as Morann (In the Beginning) or Grey Council #1 (Atonement), either.

If JMS was trying to cast and write the most annoying character imaginable, with Byron, he succeeded.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th 07, 10:44   #22
raw_bean
Commander

I thought RAD was quite good as Morann, and I even thought he did quite well with Byron, and some of the writing for the character was quite good. I think the problem was that he was a character who could have been ok in small doses, but we just got too damn much of him.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th 07, 14:53   #23
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Byron never bothered me much... but I'll confess that with my spotty coverage of Season 5, I still haven't actually heard the telepath song. (Or seen Rebo and Zooty, for that matter.) That might be a factor.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th 07, 15:39   #24
hypatia
First One

I think it's mostly the men who have such a huge problem with the character Byron.

Most of the female fans of the show that I know around where I am seemed to key to Byron's part in the plot easier than the guys.
Old September 5th 07, 06:16   #25
RW7427

I just can't see Susan with Byron.

**Shudders**
Old September 5th 07, 08:30   #26
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427
I just can't see Susan with Byron.
That's part of the point of it all; Byron wasn't the kind of guy that Ivanova could thoroughly be with, but with the death of Marcus and her regret over having never expressed her feelings to him, she would swing the pendulum too far in the opposite direction and end up in a relationship that wasn't right for her.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th 07, 10:07   #27
raw_bean
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I think it's mostly the men who have such a huge problem with the character Byron.

Most of the female fans of the show that I know around where I am seemed to key to Byron's part in the plot easier than the guys.
I can see his part in the plot (in a general sense), but I think the telepath arc in S5 feels a little laboured and stretched out, and he muscles his way into episodes that aren't really about that arc too. Those are symptoms of the whole S4/S5/Claudia Christian leaving debacle, I'm sure.

Also, at the end of the day, even excepting his place in the story, Byron is someone I just wouldn't like in real life - I'm like Zack I guess.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th 07, 19:11   #28
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

Yeah, I felt rather sympathetic to Zack too. I did find some of Byron's lines interesting though since I had just finished reading Hamlet in English lit when he appeared so I was picking up on many of his references. That was kind of cool but the whole willow tree and BCFMO stuff annoyed me to no end...to say nothing of the singing telepaths.

Out of curiousity, has JMS ever addressed the rather widespread unpopularity of Byron (at least among male viewers)? I am just curious if he was surprised by it or if he understood how the drawn out telepath arc might have left that part of the story a bit thin...

Just for fun, imagine Byron going on walkabout. I would love to hear what he would have to say to himself as I imagine the second Byron to be about 100 times as critical as the second Dr. Franklin.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th 07, 19:39   #29
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I imagine that in a way, Byron did go on walkabout, but back in his Psi Cop days. The critical side of him took over, forced him to quit the Corps, and started lashing out at others as well.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th 07, 19:54   #30
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw_bean View Post
I thought RAD was quite good as Morann,
He was easier to take as Morann, but then again that character was supposed to be annoying. RAD as Byron grates on my nerves.

Quote:
...and I even thought he did quite well with Byron, and some of the writing for the character was quite good.
He, the character and the actor, was too effeminate for me to stand. I couldn't see either Ivanova or Lyta going for a guy like him in a million years. Marcus, yeah, but not Byron!

Quote:
...I think the problem was that he was a character who could have been ok in small doses, but we just got too damn much of him.
That was part of the problem. Other parts were his long, wavy blonde hair, the passivity, and the whole bohemian. longhaired group.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; September 7th 07 at 20:02.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote