B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Confessions And Lamentations
A -- Excellent 28 53.85%
B -- Good 16 30.77%
C -- Average 3 5.77%
D -- Poor 3 5.77%
F -- Failure 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st 05, 19:40   #41
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: Comes The Inquisitor

Quote:
The Next Generation did a Jack the Ripper episode? That one escapes me. Do you recall what its title/season is?
I can't think of one.

But there was a TOS episode that involved Jack .... after a fashion (malevolent, non-corporeal, person-posessing, space-traveling entity that was responsible for a string of Ripper-esque murders on a planet that Enterprise was visiting and had apparently been behind the Jack case in London as well).
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 20:25   #42
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

This has been bothering me, so I Google'd it. I found a reference to Jack the Ripper in the original series....It sounds like there may have been more than one episode, loosely or otherwise, based on Jack the Ripper. This is from Amazon.com:

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
A randy Captain Kirk (William Shatner), Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley), and Scotty (James Doohan) take shore leave on Argelius II, a trip that becomes a nightmare when Scotty is suspected in a series of murders. From its opening scene featuring a seductive belly dancer to the ultimate revelation of the killer's identity, "Wolf in the Fold" has the aura of a psychological horror story. No wonder: The script is by Robert Bloch, author of the novel Psycho (basis for the Hitchcock film), who also came up with the idea of the Enterprise computers being overtaken by none other than Jack the Ripper. Actor John Fiedler, whose raspy, high-pitched voice is most familiar as the sound of Piglet in Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh, is very good as the ultra-annoying Hengist, a skeptical prosecutor out for Scotty's head. One of the few Trek episodes to focus on Scotty, "Wolf" is downright exotic at times in its spooky tone and depiction of the sensual life on Argelius II. (Director Joseph Pevney even spent some of Paramount's money getting a startling overhead shot of a seance.) Here's a weird factoid: Harlan Ellison, author of Trek's great "City on the Edge of Forever" episode, also once wrote a futuristic Jack-is-back story called (ta-da) "City on the Edge of Tomorrow." --Tom Keogh

Anyone else notice the name, Harlan Ellison? Is that OUR Harlan Ellison?
Boxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 21:14   #43
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Ryjack, Ryjack.

Yup, that's our Harlan alright
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd 05, 02:50   #44
hypatia
First One

O.K. so that was a confustion between Star Trek The Next Generation and Star Trek, the Original Seriies?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd 05, 09:11   #45
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I didn't write my part of that very well, Hypatia...

When there seemed to be some confusion over whether The Next Generation had a Jack the Ripper episode, I went looking. I Google'd Star Trek + Jack the Ripper and it came up with the reference I copied to my post. I didn't remember either of the two episodes in the original Star Trek and just thought it was an interesting side note..Sorry for the confusion. I get all excited when I find stuff like that!

Btw, I like the kitten!
Boxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd 05, 06:40   #46
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Quote:
I found the plot incredible that the virtually omniscient, and certainly telepathic, Vorlons should have "doubts" or even need confirmation after all they had done to set up Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan to maintain the order of the universe as they saw it.
jms said, "...the test was in some ways (most, actually) more for Delenn's benefit than Kosh's...."

Yes, that's what I thought. This was not so much of a test as a tempering of Delenn, and Sheridan. The Inquisitor's purpose was to get them to realize the personal, and human (or Minbari) reasons for their actions, not the philosophical and altruistic ones. It is on the gut level that one must survive the hardest times, that they were to face.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 06, 07:54   #47
Stanley
Ranger

I found the review that I had mentioned earlier

Review by John Paul Green

Always one to steer clear of controversy, I feel I may be sticking my head firmly on the block with this little review. Putting it mildly, Comes The Inquisitor is the best B5 episode, if not of the entire series, then certainly up to the end of season 2.

"Justify yourself!" I hear you cry. Very well. Three names: G'kar, Vir and Sebastian. No coincidence.

"Who are you?"

Owing much to The Prisoner, the story is a simple one (as is often the case with great stories), yet it is also one of the most intense pieces of television to come out of the US. Delenn is summoned to meet the Inquisitor, in order for her to qualify to lead the great war that is coming. What could have been so easily a rather dull, padded out story, is nothing of the sort. Quite the reverse, in fact. The main reason for this is the Inquisitor himself - Sebastian. Played with relish by Wayne Alexander, he is evil incarnate. However, it is a fine line between good and evil, and Sebastian is certainly not your usual one dimensional villainous cipher. My God, this man even knows how to make a good entrance into Grey 19! As for The Prisoner references, how does this grab you:

"Have you nothing of your own? Nothing that is provided, defined, delineated, stamped, sanctioned, numbered and approved by others?"

"My life is my own..." anyone? Well, if you're going to paraphrase, better do it from the best. If only the room had been in Grey 6! It is interesting to note that Sebastian isn';t so far removed from another character played by Alexander. Isn't Sheridan asked similar questions to the ones leveled at Delenn in another time, another place?

The tap, tap-tapping of his cane is a wonderful moment of suspense and summons up images of Poe's The Raven. Like Marnau's Nosferatu, Sebastian steps out of the shadows all too easily, as the camera slowly pulls up to reveal the man. With cadaverous face and stern expression, you just know that this guy is going to get results - one way or another. Later we will also see signs of Poe's The Tell Tale Heart, during a literally heart-rending scene. One of the episode's charms (if you can call it that) is it's homage to classic, gothic literature, and the feelings it creates.

The inquisition itself is a tour de force that will leave you, as well as Delenn, begging to be left alone. Showing little mercy, Sebastian is intent on getting what he came for, whatever the cost or pain. Sound and vision are used to optimum effect throughout the interrogation, as Sebastian doles out pain with every stamp of his cane. This is wonderful stuff. Isn't it about time also, that we began to question the "goodness" of the Vorlons? Given the information we will later find out about Sebastian and all he stands for, can the Vorlons be that far removed from the Shadows? Discuss...

"Can you apologise to them?"

The only way a second story strand could compete with the intensity of the Inquisitor, and match Wayne Alexander's powerhouse performance, could be through a character as strong as G'kar. Andreas Katsulas, in arguably his finest hour, exudes pain and anger in equal measures. I speak, of course, of the elevator scene, where Vir's sincere apology for his peoples'; actions is met with calm fury. Has there ever been such a powerful and moving scene than G'kar cutting open his palm and bleeding for the fallen Narn? I think not.

Throughout the episode we see G'kar fighting to retain his right to lead, his dignity and his destiny. Stephen Furst must also take a bow for his perfectly timed and understated performance, first during G'kar's speech to his people, and then in the elevator.

It is to the credit of JMS' writing that we are presented with two stories tackling destiny from both sides. G'Kar must prove himself to his people, while Delenn must prove to the Vorlons and herself that she is certain of the path she has decided to take. Take a line from the script every minute and chances are you will have pulled a classic piece of dialogue, from "The Vorlons are!" to " You are a piece of the machine who thinks it is the whole of the machine" each sentence is crisp and so very relevant.

The quality doesn't stop at the script or performances, however, as we are treated to some of the best lighting and sound the programme has so far offered us. The interrogation room is suitably sinister and lit with the unease of the greatest expressionistic movies in mind - a most fitting sanctum for Sebastian and all he represents.

Given the amount of praise this episode has squeezed from me, it is only fair to point out that Sheridan really is pretty useless, and he does say "Hell" far too much to be taken seriously. It also left an uneasy feeling when the Inquisitor is finally finished with Delenn. The idea that love can conquer all seemed to drown the true message that it is to die for the one... you know the rest. These are but minor quibbles, however, and shouldn';t detract from the quality on offer.

In Sebastian, Babylon 5 has a real, three-dimensional character, one you want to see again. He is everything Star Trek's Q should have been, but sadly isn't. In fact, it's like comparing a lettuce to a diamond. G'kar is given some splendid scenes and Andreas Katsulas performs so well in them.

Yep, I liked this one. I liked it a lot.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th 07, 19:59   #48
Elipsis
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post

Nah, not into that stuff, but I'm make an exception for Delenn.

I bet S&M with a Minbari would be the most painful, because they take so damn long to do everything.

lmao

The ritual of electric whip thingy.

Then we wait and meditate.

Then the Narn paingivers are used.

Then we meditate again...

No doubt it would be a mind job.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th 07, 12:58   #49
maneth
Ambassador

I must admit I detested the Sebastian=Jack the Ripper gimmick. That makes this one of my least favorite B5 episodes, second only to The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. This one is at least redeemed by Sheridan and Delenn's willingness to die for each other. So a D.
Old August 29th 07, 03:47   #50
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth View Post
I must admit I detested the Sebastian=Jack the Ripper gimmick. That makes this one of my least favorite B5 episodes, second only to The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. This one is at least redeemed by Sheridan and Delenn's willingness to die for each other. So a D.
Well, I love the Sebastian=Jack the Ripper idea. Wayne Alexander's performance is incredibly good, especially when he's speaking about his experience with the Vorlons. Great stuff! His speech at the end is perfect. A+.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote