B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Keep Chapel
A -- Excellent 11 17.19%
B -- Good 33 51.56%
C -- Average 20 31.25%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th 07, 18:55   #11
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: EpDis: The Gathering

B

Amazing amounts of bad acting (Laurel Takashima + Lyta + Carolyn = YIKES. And Michael O'Hare isn't at his best yet either), and not up to the level of the show all over, but ..

* the ambassadors are already awesome

* great groundwork laying

* beep beep!
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 07, 09:19   #12
GaribaldisHair
First One

Looks like that master list of all the EpDis threads did its job ...

I seem to remember voting this one as a B. Very hard to give it an A when we in the UK didn't see it until almost the end of season 1. There had already been several episodes much better than it, it suffered from having a different feel to the soundtrack (not worse per se, just different from what I was used to), and I thought that all the replacement main characters (Franklin, Talia, Ivanova) were better than their counterparts in the pilot.

The re-edit is much better, but it still suffers from my not having seen it as the very first "episode". Now if I could just erase my memory of the show, go back and re-watch from the start ...

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 07, 09:39   #13
Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
and I thought that all the replacement main characters (Franklin, Talia, Ivanova) were better than their counterparts in the pilot.
Definitely true on Ivanova .. and also on Catherine. I think I could have grown to quite like Kyle, though, if he had stayed. Not that I'm objecting to the switch.

While Talia is infinitely better acted than Lyta, she's somehow also infinitely more annoying.
Old August 9th 07, 19:51   #14
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
Looks like that master list of all the EpDis threads did its job ...

I seem to remember voting this one as a B. Very hard to give it an A when we in the UK didn't see it until almost the end of season 1. There had already been several episodes much better than it, it suffered from having a different feel to the soundtrack (not worse per se, just different from what I was used to), and I thought that all the replacement main characters (Franklin, Talia, Ivanova) were better than their counterparts in the pilot.

The re-edit is much better, but it still suffers from my not having seen it as the very first "episode". Now if I could just erase my memory of the show, go back and re-watch from the start ...
I don't know how it worked for you but I saw it on a taped video I borrowed of a hippy chick months before the series started and always felt that it had promise.

My initial reaction to the series was a "Star Trek meets Star Wars".

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 13:01   #15
Chilli

When reading through the Lurker's guide - in particular through JMS' quotes on this one - I ran into this quote:

Quote:
Here's the one thing that amazes me, speaking of seeing the pilot for the gadzillionth time...there is one great big huge gaping visual anomaly/inconsistency in the pilot that so far no one has noticed. It's so massive that when I first saw it, I just about fell out of my chair. But the director said "No one's ever gonna see it, no one's ever gonna notice it, *trust* me on this." I was absolutely convinced that he was wrong. Apparently he was right. At some point in the future I'll tell you what it is...and when you see it, you're going to wonder how the hell you avoided seeing it before, it's *that* big. But not for a while yet. (And the few smaller things mentioned here ...ain't it.)
Does anyone have ANY clue what he is talking about?
Old August 22nd 07, 13:43   #16
KoshN

And this Poll is titled "Keep Chapel" ???
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 13:48   #17
Chilli

All the old poll titles are messed up. See here.
Old August 22nd 07, 16:08   #18
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
And this Poll is titled "Keep Chapel" ???
Ah yes ... the lost episode.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 19:39   #19
Skander
Lurker

I gave it a C. The Gathering never really grabbed a hold of me, initially. The story was a little convoluted and I've only ever understood the Del Varner plot thread upon repeated watchings.

I'm glad that they changed many aspects when they went to the show. The characters people have touched on were much better casted in the show--especially Talia. Though admittedly I thought Andrea was much more attractive than Pat Tallman. That woman still amazes me. I could have grown to really like Dr. Ben Kyle, though. The dark, alien atmosphere was nice, but they overdid it a little in the pilot, the show hit the sweetspot. The prothetic hairpiece for Londo was much better than the Bald/Crazy Crest he had in the pilot.

On first view of the Vorlon ship/fleet, and of course Kosh himself, I was very impressed and instantly fell in love with the Vorlons forever. I love it when aliens are imagined as truly alien, rather than the endless parade of forehead appliques you'd see in most sci-fi (also one of the reason's I'm one of the 6 people who think Starship Troopers is brilliant).

Over time and repeated viewings, I must say I've grown to really enjoy the movie, though. The Minbari guy's line, "You have a hole in your mind" is pretty far reaching actually. Obviously the humor/candor of Londo was in full swing and "The Gathering" placed him ahead in the running for my favorite character while "Midnight on the Firing Line" nailed it down for good.
Skander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 07, 20:10   #20
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skander View Post
I gave it a C. The Gathering never really grabbed a hold of me, initially. The story was a little convoluted and I've only ever understood the Del Varner plot thread upon repeated watchings.

I'm glad that they changed many aspects when they went to the show. The characters people have touched on were much better casted in the show--especially Talia. Though admittedly I thought Andrea was much more attractive than Pat Tallman. That woman still amazes me. I could have grown to really like Dr. Ben Kyle, though. The dark, alien atmosphere was nice, but they overdid it a little in the pilot, the show hit the sweetspot. The prothetic hairpiece for Londo was much better than the Bald/Crazy Crest he had in the pilot.

On first view of the Vorlon ship/fleet, and of course Kosh himself, I was very impressed and instantly fell in love with the Vorlons forever. I love it when aliens are imagined as truly alien, rather than the endless parade of forehead appliques you'd see in most sci-fi (also one of the reason's I'm one of the 6 people who think Starship Troopers is brilliant).

Over time and repeated viewings, I must say I've grown to really enjoy the movie, though. The Minbari guy's line, "You have a hole in your mind" is pretty far reaching actually. Obviously the humor/candor of Londo was in full swing and "The Gathering" placed him ahead in the running for my favorite character while "Midnight on the Firing Line" nailed it down for good.
I actually disliked Talia myself, and was very happy to see pat Tallman return. I actually don't think Andrea is all that god looking, she's just your average bleached blonde with a pointy nose, IMHO. I like Susan alot and am glad she played Susan, but, I think Laurel could've grabbed me as well (although she wouldn't have been around for very long, as she was originally the traitor who betrayed Garibaldi.

I must be one of the other 6 who likes Starship Troopers, I love the movie, and think it's a great satire.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote