B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Gumbel, Gumbel, or Gumble...who's your favorite?
A -- Excellent 4 14.29%
B -- Good 19 67.86%
C -- Average 5 17.86%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20th 07, 16:46   #31
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: EpDis: A Distant Star

Can you just jump out of Hyperspace into Normal space, without knowing where you're going. Or do you have to give coordinates that are within your jump range?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th 07, 18:34   #32
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Sure, but would they then be able to find the hyperspace route home? Cortez might have been able to jump out and find where it is in normal space, but they'd probably hop back in and be even more lost in hyperspace than before.
That's a valid point, I guess. Well .. not quite sure.

I know that hyperspace is quite complex, and that you can't map hyperspace 1:1 to normal space. However, if you couldn't to SOME degree do it, wouldn't ships forever fail to find beacons? With the knowledge of their location in normal space, wouldn't the Cortez know where to SORT OF look for the closest beacon, head in that direction, and eventually resore contact with it?

Unless, of course, the beacons are all extremely close to eachother - close enough that one of them is always in your visual range, making beacons a "rope" you follow along from beginning to end along your trip.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th 07, 18:36   #33
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Can you just jump out of Hyperspace into Normal space, without knowing where you're going. Or do you have to give coordinates that are within your jump range?
As I understand it, a "jump" is the construction of a temporary bridge between normal space and hyperspace. I don't think you need to know where you're jumping to open a jump port.

One danger would be jumping into an solid object, if jumping blindly. However, the odds of that happening would be practically zero.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th 07, 22:35   #34
Skander
Lurker

I rated this episode "Good", probably a little higher than I probably should because there are some aesthetic characteristics that I've always loved about the episode. The musical score for this episode by Christopher Franke was awesome, especially the music when we see the Explorer ship--The Cortez (definitely weird choice of name, though). I also loved how the ship looked--it explores and builds jumpgates, so it should look like a flying construction site. I enjoyed Maynard's character well enough, even if the Stinky-Swamp Rat bit was a little cheesy. The ambience at Earhart's was nice and the one-shot characters (Commander Galis and Captain Maynard) played off the regulars really well. You also get a glimpse of the Shadows and that's always enough to perk me up--I liked all the episodes that only hinted at the presence of the powerful Darkness (Distant Star, Signs + Portents, Coming of Shadows, etc.)
Skander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th 08, 04:17   #35
Cell
Telepath

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/...babylon-5-204/
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th 08, 17:47   #36
puzzle
Telepath

Quote:
Sure, but would they then be able to find the hyperspace route home? Cortez might have been able to jump out and find where it is in normal space, but they'd probably hop back in and be even more lost in hyperspace than before.
That's precisely how I would explain it.

Sure enough, if your jump engines work (I'm not sure if Cortez had them functional or not) you can pop out into normal space... and go home by the long route, which probably takes about 300 years.

Attempting to go home by the short route would require ability to see "through" hyperspace, and define structures found there in terms of normal-space geometry... which, as implied, is overwhelmingly hard.

Hyperspace is described as opaque to almost anything, except very few things (the tachyon or whatever-they-were-called beams maintained between beacons), so you cannot see far enough. Also, hyperspace is implied to have a geometry which is rather different and difficult to link to normal space.

So that's why, as far as I understand, a ship which cannot navigate hyperspace (either by using beacons or otherwise), would not benefit much from having an intact jump engine.

But they could jump around blindly, and unless they jumped into a solid object or lethally uninhabitable area, they might jump near some habitable planet or viable source of natural resources. Which could make it possible to sustain trying for longer, or even amass enough useful resources to survive a trip home in normal space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
As I understand it, a "jump" is the construction of a temporary bridge between normal space and hyperspace. I don't think you need to know where you're jumping to open a jump port.
I've understood it that way too.

Quote:
One danger would be jumping into an solid object, if jumping blindly. However, the odds of that happening would be practically zero.
Unless hyperspace is "bigger" where normal space has more mass, or objects in hyperspace drift towards normal-space centers of mass. But that's just an idea to play with.
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th 09, 00:57   #37
G'Kar
Commander

Just watched this episode and I've come to the conclusion that a B to a B- seems fit for it. While it's not part of the best of Season 2 it does serve it's purpose of being a source of character development needed for Keffer and Sheridan.
There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th 09, 01:51   #38
vacantlook

And it gives us more exposure to the Shadows.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th 10, 00:28   #39
Estelyn
Commander

I too noticed and enjoyed the music that was used when the Cortez appeared. The series theme was also varied for the fighter ships, with a military undertone to it.

The "food plan" subplot was a nice touch of humour. I was disappointed at the end though - Garibaldi's tear-jerking story should have been a fake. I would have thought he'd invented it to appease Franklin - it doesn't feel genuine to me.

I had a déjà vu when Delenn said, "Understanding is not required, only obedience." Didn't Lennier say the same words earlier in the series?
Old May 27th 10, 01:11   #40
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I think it's the other way around on that, actually -- Lennier quotes her later on. But I'm just doing that from memory, I'm not sure.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote