B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Ruling From The Tomb
A -- Excellent 1 9.09%
B -- Good 4 36.36%
C -- Average 3 27.27%
D -- Poor 2 18.18%
F -- Failure 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 6th 07, 05:27   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Crusade: Ruling From The Tomb

Lurker's Guide page for Ruling From The Tomb
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th 07, 20:54   #2
Ranger1
Telepath

Re: EpDis: Crusade: Ruling From The Tomb

gave it a B, good episode but it has to be downgraded due to the continuity errors.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th 07, 01:28   #3
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
.....due to the continuity errors.
Care to explain? This is the episode of Crusade that I grade the lowest, but right now, having just come in from work, and with my brain really frazzled (Some people today got on my last nerve.), I'll be damned if I can recall any "continuity errors" in Ruling from the Tomb.

I am going to watch it tonight before I grade it and make any comments.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th 07, 16:52   #4
KoshN

'D' - Poor. IMHO, the worst Crusade episode. Worse than War Zone. The connections and logic in a lot of the main story seemed forced, artificial and sometimes didn't make sense. The dialogue was sometimes clunky. The whole idea of a physical meeting was bad, as Gideon comments. The fight scenes were poorly choreographed and acted.

I liked only the character moments, e.g. Eilerson, Dureena and Trace in the shuttle, Eilerson and Dureena when walking in the street in Mars Dome, Gideon and Lochley at the first crime scene, the bar scenes, etc.

Also, the initial CGI looked very good to me, as good as any Mars scenes we ever saw on "Babylon 5".

The "music" (irritating noise actually, boings, babies crying, dogs barking, etc.) over the end credits was hideously bad. It was thoroughly unprofessional, self-indulgent crap on Chen's part, and I cannot use the word crap strongly enough here in relation to the "music" on during the end credits. THAT should have been rejected by the producers. This episode was made 3rd from the last, and it must have been when the producers were at a low ebb and just didn't give a damn.

Were it not for the character moments I listed above, I'd have given it an 'F' - Failure. I almost gave it that anyway.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; July 9th 07 at 17:00.
Old July 13th 07, 15:09   #5
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I liked only the character moments, e.g. Eilerson, Dureena and Trace in the shuttle, Eilerson and Dureena when walking in the street in Mars Dome, Gideon and Lochley at the first crime scene, the bar scenes, etc.
I agree, I rewatched this episode recently remembering it as being one of the weakest (along with Rules of the Game), and was surprised to realise that if you filter out the actual plot it's actually one of the better ones in terms of character interaction and dialogue. JMS' writing seemed to be showing signs of fatigue from S4 onwards, and it's an odd fact that Fiona Avery and Peter David seemed able to contribute scripts that sounded in some ways more quintessentially JMS than JMS himself.

Quote:
The "music" (irritating noise actually, boings, babies crying, dogs barking, etc.) over the end credits was hideously bad. It was thoroughly unprofessional, self-indulgent crap on Chen's part, and I cannot use the word crap strongly enough here in relation to the "music" on during the end credits. THAT should have been rejected by the producers. This episode was made 3rd from the last, and it must have been when the producers were at a low ebb and just didn't give a damn.
Yeah, some B5 episodes had established the idea of using different music over the end credits, but in those cases it was always relevant in some way and made sense in the context of the episode. Here it just seemed completely gratuitous and meaningless.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 07, 15:22   #6
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
Yeah, some B5 episodes had established the idea of using different music over the end credits, but in those cases it was always relevant in some way and made sense in the context of the episode. Here it just seemed completely gratuitous and meaningless.
Crusade also did that on a couple of occasions:

In an ep. when Galen left listening to his own music on his ship, and it carried over onto the end credits.

The Needs of Earth - the music, probably from the recovered data crystals, is played as Gideon walks down the hallway, away from Dureena's quarters. It's probably Dureena playing that music.
Old July 15th 07, 15:53   #7
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
....due to the continuity errors.

Last edited by KoshN; July 15th 07 at 15:55.
Old July 16th 07, 14:13   #8
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:

Isn't this episode one of two times Lochley and Gideon meet for the first time?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th 07, 18:01   #9
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Is the other one Each Night I Dream of Home? I thought that episode had been re-edited to gloss over it (People keep mentioning this, but I've never noticed that they meet for the first time twice - in fact Gideon's first words to Lochley are 'good to see you again Captain', and we can probably assume that her being injured is the only reason they don't make a beeline for the nearest shower).
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th 07, 18:19   #10
KoshN

IF ANYBODY HAS "RULING FROM THE TOMB" SCRIPTS, I'M CURIOUS IF THERE WAS ANY VERSION WITHOUT THE GIDEON/LOCHLEY INTRO. DIALOGUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
This is the episode where Lochley meets Gideon for the first time. It's obvious in the non-looped dialogue at the beginning of the episode.

The other episode to which you're referring, Each Night I Dream of Home, got looped (The original words got replaced. You can tell by the different sound of Gideon's lines.), and it was evidently planned to be the episode where they first met.

Each Night I Dream of Home, Pink Revisions, Sept. 9, 1998. brief excerpt:

ACT TWO

36 INT. MEDBAY

A recently-awakened Lochley is in a medbed as Gideon enters.

GIDEON
I hope I'm not bothering you. They told me you were awake.

LOCHLEY
No, it's fine.

GIDEON
(extends a hand)
Captain Matthew Gideon, Earth Alliance Starship Excalibur.

LOCHLEY
Captain Elizabeth Lochley, Babylon 5.

GIDEON
What happened?

LOCHLEY
We'd set a trap for some raiders.....~

Each Night I Dream of Home is now to be their second episode together, and The Rules of the Game, their third and last together (in the produced Crusade 13 episodes).

Last edited by KoshN; July 16th 07 at 18:57.