B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old May 4th 07, 10:13   #1
glamourweaver
Lurker

Theory on "In the Beginning"

Its all confusion, faulty intel, & literary-liscence on Emperor Mollari's part. Nothing in his story can be assumed on its face to be B5 canon & that might be intentional...

- In his tale the Rangers have existed continuously, despite Naroon having made clear in Season 3 when Delenn took command that the Religious Caste recomissioned them after centuries & it had always been the Warrior Caste who oversaw them in the past.

- Satai Hadronn of the Religious Caste has become Satai Coplann of the Warrior Caste. (faulty Centauri intel, or the Emperor getting details confused)

- There is no way that Sheridan, Franklin & G'Kar had met before (its explicit at the beginning of Season 2... the same episode where we meet Satai Hadronn of the Religious Caste.... that Sheridan is new to Franklin). That event may have occured with G'Kar and 2 humans; or Franklin another human & a Narn; but there is no way it was the 3 of them.

- Gonya having served under Sheridan would have come up considering how close he & Cmd. Ivanovah were

- Mollari had been a weak joke in the Royal Court. There was no way he could have ordered a strike like that. The strike could have happened & he could have been in on it; but I think he was assuming more responsibility than he was due out of a general guilt complex relating to his... other deeds.

Most glaring of all... Emperor Mollari II states he cared for all four of his wives... this more than anything else is the most blatant signal to the fans to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 13:35   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Theory on "In the Beginning"

Well, Londo did have four wives, but his first wife was a dancer he married when he was young, and his family made him divorce her. JMS says that Adira reminds Londo a lot of that first girl.

Sheridan and Ivanova were indeed close, so it did come up. But not on screen. Because there was no real reason for it to come up during the show; heck, they may have talked about it together on Io before we met either one of them.

Also, -- mild SPOILERS for the Centauri Prime trilogy -- when Londo has Sheridan and Delenn imprisoned on Centauri Prime, he talks to Delenn about it, so when he recounts the story to the Centauri kids, that part at least was fresh in his mind.

Clever idea, but I think most of the flaws you pointed out are JMS's "mistakes."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 18:21   #3
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourweaver View Post
- Satai Hadronn of the Religious Caste has become Satai Coplann of the Warrior Caste. (faulty Centauri intel, or the Emperor getting details confused)
That's interesting. Obviously his name changed (although nobody ever actually called him that in Points of Departure or All Alone in the Night, IIRC, it was only used in the credits). I hadn't noticed him changing caste, but yeah, I guess Kalain does strongly imply that he's religious caste, whereas Dukhat makes it clear that Coplann is warrior caste. On the other hand, maybe it's not meant to be the same guy. He does bear a passing resemblance to Na'Kal in Fall of Night and Walkabout, and General Na'Tok in late S5, for example, and of course there's no connection whatsoever between them

Quote:
- There is no way that Sheridan, Franklin & G'Kar had met before (its explicit at the beginning of Season 2... the same episode where we meet Satai Hadronn of the Religious Caste.... that Sheridan is new to Franklin).
That's not quite true. Ivanova asks him what he thinks of their new captain, and he replies that he hasn't seen too much of him yet, but what he has seen he likes. That's not totally incompatible with their having met briefly before (maybe it's even what he's referring to).

Quote:
- Gonya having served under Sheridan would have come up considering how close he & Cmd. Ivanovah were
This is stretching a point a bit, but there's more than one Hyperion class cruiser in that battlegroup, and although Ganya is clearly communicating with the Lexington, it's not clear which ship he actually launches from.

Quote:
- Mollari had been a weak joke in the Royal Court. There was no way he could have ordered a strike like that. The strike could have happened & he could have been in on it; but I think he was assuming more responsibility than he was due out of a general guilt complex relating to his... other deeds.
At the time he was an attache to the Centauri delegation on Earth, which might have given him some clout? Perhaps his luck changed and he fell out of favour after that? And the fact that he wasn't popular with Turhan and the Royal Court doesn't alter the fact that he did seem to be known to the Royal Court, not to mention head of one of the oldest noble houses in the Republic. Or, going along with your theory, maybe he's just feeling bloody-minded and wants to load some more guilt on himself, so he's exagerrating his position and his influence (although Lyssa did ask for a true story).

Quote:
Most glaring of all... Emperor Mollari II states he cared for all four of his wives... this more than anything else is the most blatant signal to the fans to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
Yeah, that one I can't explain. All very Keyser Söze..

Peter David's novelisation of In the Beginning might shed some more light on this, although it's been too long since I've read it to remember, and I don't know how canon it's considered to be..

Last edited by RMcD; May 4th 07 at 18:26.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 18:36   #4
vacantlook

Quote:
The way I like to look at something like this, in my own personal fannish way, is to say that Hedronn and Coplann were simply twins and one jumped castes in the following of his heart (or however jumping castes was explained in a couple different episodes).
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 19:05   #5
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Or maybe the Minbari change their names in line with their three languages, if they change caste.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 19:24   #6
Joseph DeMartino

General critique: You keep taking everything the characters say as literal truth. Why? People lie to others and themselves all the time. What a character believes to be the case from his own point of view, or to be essentially true, is not always the literal truth.

- In his tale the Rangers have existed continuously, despite Naroon having made clear in Season 3 when Delenn took command that the Religious Caste recomissioned them after centuries & it had always been the Warrior Caste who oversaw them in the past.

A perfect example. This is Neroon's version of history. In fact, the Rangers have existed continuously for over 1,000 years, they were founded and commanded by Valen, who was not of the Warrior Caste, and they only later came to be dominated by the Warriors (who also forbade the Workers from serving.) The Warriors eventually withdrew from the Rangers, which in their eyes effectively put them out of business. But the organization continued to function with little funding or attention until it was revived (with Religious, Worker and Human members) under Sinclair. (To Dream in the City of Sorrows)

Minbari can't have twins? (Jeez, JMS reused an actor. He likes to do that, you know. ) Next you'll be complaining about "Mr. Morden" being aboard B5 in 2257.

- There is no way that Sheridan, Franklin & G'Kar had met before (its explicit at the beginning of Season 2... the same episode where we meet Satai Hadronn of the Religious Caste.... that Sheridan is new to Franklin). That event may have occured with G'Kar and 2 humans; or Franklin another human & a Narn; but there is no way it was the 3 of them.

We never see Franklin's first meeting with Sheridan in season two, and I don't think we see G'Kar's. By the time Ivanova is talking to Franklin in "Earhart's", Franklin has already met the new captain and Ivanova is asking what he thinks. Is Franklin supposed to say, "Gee, he hasn't changed a bit since he and I went on a highly-classified mission twelve years ago. What mission? Sorry, still can't talk about that."?

Except in private, and maybe not even then, none of the three would have reason to discuss that event, which is almost certainly still considered a secret by the Human, Narn, and Minbari governments. (I doubt the Centauri government ever knew about it. See below.) It would not be in anybody's interest to reveal that there was a failed peace mission that might have saved hundreds of thousands of live but that it was derailed (as they probably still believe) by fanatics on one side or the other. Besides, they served on one covert mission that spanned a couple of days a dozen years before. They'd probably remember the mission, pretty clearly, but they might barely remember one other at all.

Why? Sheridan and Ivanova served together at the transfer point off Io long enough to become very close friends years before either came to B5. Whatever memories of Ganya they had to share would have been shared then. Also it isn't like we've seen every moment of interaction between Sheridan and Ivanova during the the three years they spent on B5. Maybe every year they got together on Ganya's birthday or the anniversary of his death and toasted his memory. Just because JMS never got around to telling that story doesn't mean it didn't happen or make this a "mistake".

Actually there is no indication that Mollari accompanied the ships. The Royal Court may have considered him a joke, but his family was still wealthy and influential, certainly among the lesser nobility and the ordinary people. He could not have exercised military authority, but there's no reason he couldn't have persuaded some relative who thought the Centauri could win advantage by distrupting a Narn-Human arms deal to send a few ships "off the books" on an unofficial and completely covert mission.

As JMS himself has said, that's how Londo prefers to remember his feelings near the end of his life. Who are we to contradict him? Certainly he was fond of Mariel and came to be very fond of Timov before the end (cf. the Centauri Trilogy.) Hardly the "signal" you imagine.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 21:35   #7
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

Quote:
JMS reused an actor
That's exactly what I was thinking....
Old May 4th 07, 22:41   #8
glamourweaver
Lurker

I accept the point on the Rangers, but I've got to disagree with the "he just reused an actor" point on Hedronn/Coplann. If it was just a case of two Minbari, I'd agree (as with the two Narn that Robin Sachs played), but these are two SATAI!

We see the "choose quickly, we are fast running out of candidates" clip in the Season 2 Premier with Satai Hedronn. We aren't supposed to assume that's him? The entire reason (beyond his impressive talent) that Robin Sachs is in that role in ItB is to work with that clip.... they unfortunately overlooked the surrounding context of the clip in the episode it originally came from.

I just watched the DVD commentary on ItB, & JMS directly admits the G'Kar/Sheridan/Franklin plotline doesn't make a great deal of sense, but that he needed to use the series character for a major plotpoint, so there you are.

I think continuity is best served if we take that confession of JMS (which I completely understand & don't fault him for in the slightest) and apply it to Londo, our in-setting storyteller. He's taking certain liscences to make the story more continuous & interesting for the children.
glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 07, 05:13   #9
Recoil
First One

I'll agree with that. Many here have stated using those three never made sense, and since JMS himself says as much...well...whatever makes you happy I guess.
Old May 5th 07, 05:59   #10
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Quote:
Pfft, all Minbari look alike. (grin)
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote