B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Thirdspace
A -- Excellent 5 15.63%
B -- Good 18 56.25%
C -- Average 6 18.75%
D -- Poor 1 3.13%
F -- Failure 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1st 07, 19:37   #21
KoshN

Re: EpDis: Thirdspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
And at the end, when Sheridan sums up and says something like 'the main thing is everyone's okay,' his definition of 'everyone' doesn't seem to extend to all the maintenance techs, IPX employees, Starfury pilots and Whitestar crews we saw getting killed during the movie.
Good point.

I rewatched Thirdspace twice yesterday. You're right, it does capture the spirit of B5, but so do all the rest of the B5 movies except the Rangers pilot.

It also seems unlikely that Sheridan would even be alive after the explosion, shrapnel and radiation effects. He was protected only by his spacesuit, yet Thirdspace ships near him were utterly destroyed by the explosion. He was merely thrown clear. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense. Other than that, and the problems I mentioned in Post #8, it wasn't too bad. I still don't care for how the Thirdspace aliens turned out, but they're not quite as bad as I remember. Seems like there are some plot holes there. If they could manipulate matter and transport themselves at will, grow appendages, etc., why couldn't they block the hole at the rear of the artifact and prevent Sheridan's escape? Why couldn't they materialize themselves on the outside of the hole, instead of just trying to reach Sheridan through the hole? Why was the hole even there, other than it was required by the plot? Did the Vorlons make it when they built the gate, or when they tried to destroy the gate? Still, the acting from the series regulars and most of the supporting cast was quite good, and the battle CGI was incredible. I'm upping it to a solid C.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th 07, 11:41   #22
Springer
Ambassador

I thought the SFX for the aliens and the artefact were pretty cool, less impressed with the actual battle (that's Netter Digital for you) and I'm amazed that after this, the shadow war and the Earth war that B5 had any starfuries or white stars left! That aside, this is quite a fun movie to pass the time, if a bit forgettable (but then I guess the characters had the same problem as they all vowed to forget it ever happened too...)

I'd give it a B. Not as good as ITB or Call to Arms, but still decent enough.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th 07, 06:45   #23
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

As a B5 movie to keep the show sailing it's a B but for a horror film that deals with the B5 crew then I give it an A+ One of the creepiest movies I have ever seen but of course the creepies of all the B5 films and episodes alike.

I still enjoyed this movie but ranks #5 out of all the movies.
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th 07, 05:22   #24
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
As a B5 movie to keep the show sailing it's a B but for a horror film that deals with the B5 crew then I give it an A+ One of the creepiest movies I have ever seen but of course the creepies of all the B5 films and episodes alike.
I didn't find it horrific or creepy. <shrug>
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old April 14th 07, 05:31   #25
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I didn't find it horrific or creepy. <shrug>
Maybe horrific or creepy isn't the word perhaps just very dark. But that's the beauty of fans there's something for everyone..still thought it was a good B5 movie though

Alex
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th 07, 06:02   #26
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
Maybe horrific or creepy isn't the word perhaps just very dark. But that's the beauty of fans there's something for everyone..still thought it was a good B5 movie though

Alex
When I think of horrific or creepy, I think of "Alien."
Old April 14th 07, 08:26   #27
vacantlook

To me, Thirdspace very much was a B5-goes-Lovecraftian. It wasn't as dark as a typical Lovecraftian story, but that's because it was told within the B5 framework. I wonder what a story by jms would be like if he went full-tilt Lovecraftian. (You know, I really should one of these days actually read some of Lovecraft's work.)
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th 07, 05:50   #28
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Lovecraft is excellent.

The main differance between HP and this is that everyone seems to live.In Lovecraft mythology you are lucky to survive never mind keep the marbles rolling

VL there is several good complanations out there,get stuck in,you wont be disapointed.

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 09:07   #29
glamourweaver
Lurker

The movie on its own had its ups; but I don't consider it part of continuity myself. Its simply to massive to have believably simply slipped through there between the end of the Shadow War & the liberation of Earth without any repurcussions.
glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 07, 14:29   #30
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Lovecraft is excellent.

The main differance between HP and this is that everyone seems to live.
Tell that to Bill Morishi (the guy Dr. Trent shot in the back), the ones who got killed in the fight on B5 or the ones who got killed in the space battle. Not everyone lived. Every one of the B5 main cast lived, but that was necessary because this was stuck in the middle of Season 4, and you can't kill off somebody (i.e. 100% dead*) and then have them show up in the next episode of the chronology.

*Ivanova in "Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic" is a different case. That's not the original Ivanova.

Last edited by KoshN; May 4th 07 at 14:35.