B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Legend of the Rangers
A -- Excellent 4 9.30%
B -- Good 8 18.60%
C -- Average 20 46.51%
D -- Poor 10 23.26%
F -- Failure 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25th 07, 23:46   #51
Recoil
First One

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Then there is me. I don't know why they had to have some lame new concept anyway. I always thought weapons should work like so:

Got sensors?
Good, get sensor lock on target.
Press Button.
Have a nice day.
Old April 25th 07, 23:49   #52
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
That might have been cool...though I am not sure what was wrong with the whole console approach. It is not as if you are going to aim visually in a space battle anyway when your target is a great distance away.
He wanted something different, something not the same as "Person pushes button on console and something gets shot." Part of science fiction is imagining what the future technology is going to be like, and showing that.

Also remember that she could touch an area and magnify it, but chances are if it was too far away to see, it was also probably out of weapons range.

The problem with the system as depicted was that it would be exhausting to the weapons officer in a heated battle. "Time out, guys. Our weapons officer's tired."

As for not aiming visually in space combat, it did have targeting aids. It wasn't completely manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Then there is me. I don't know why they had to have some lame new concept anyway. I always thought weapons should work like so:

Got sensors?
Good, get sensor lock on target.
Press Button.
Have a nice day.
Exactly. It seems like this is one area where when they mess with the tried and true formula, they screw it up. With the Excalibur, sometimes they tried to show the details of targeting and firing and it slowed things down and made it look unwieldy in combat. In To Live and Die in Starlight, punching and kicking doesn't look precise enough if you're firing weapons that don't seek (make course corrections in mid flight). The Liandra had pulse weapons that went on a straight line after they were fired.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 26th 07 at 00:05.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 23:54   #53
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

I do remember that vaguely but I have tried to push that element of the movie into the darkest recesses of my mind. I can understand JMS wanting to do something different than just hitting buttons but I still think it came across as more of an excuse to have a woman jumping about the enjoyment of male viewers. That may not have been JMS's plan but that his how it came across...and I say this as a male viewer myself...if I want that kind of thing, I can find it on any number of other shows.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 00:42   #54
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I remember JMS saying that his original idea (Sarah in a sort of motorized chair that dropped into a virtual environment and operated sort of like the belly gunner in a B-17.) was too costly and that they went with Sarah doing wirework instead as their replacement idea, but I can't find the JMS post now, either. I'm looking up by keywords that I know were in the post, and the post just is not there now. It's almost as if somebody deleted it.[/url]
That sounds a little paranoid. Might it have been in the B5 magazine? Or in an interview elsewhere? Annoying as it is (really! ), not everything JMS has said in in the JMSnews.com archives. I run into that all the time and then find the source months later.

Anyway, once and for all, here's the actual description transcribed from the script:

[David orders "Weapons, prepare to fire!] Script pages 36-37.

Quote:
INT. GUNNERY POD
--A round, black space that suddenly LIGHTS UP with the view of surrounding space in a complete 360 display, her seat suspended in the center of it all. (visually it's a cross between a WW2 flying fortress tail gunner, and the circular readouts on the fighters in the Lost in Space feature.)
<snip dialogue>
INT. GUNNERY POD
Sarah's chair and the display swivels with her --
ANGLE - ON HER EYE
reflecting the display and the alien ships...the system tracking the movements of her ehes. She locks on, CLENCHES a fist and
EXT. LIANDRA
The ship's guns FIRE.
Fast-forward to the mine field. Script page 71-72. David orders Sarah to clear the road.
Quote:
INT. GUNNERY POD
As Sarah swings around, facing the incoming mines. She FIRES madly, BLASTING the mines as she goes.
EXT. LIANDRA
The weapons FLASH in a blur of movement, BLASTING the mines barely feet from the ship.
INT. GUNNERY POD
Sarah is firing with everything she's got, spinning and firing, spinning and firing, pinpointing and hitting one mine after anothere, fast-fast-fast.
SARAH: (a growing yell)
It becomes a PRIMAL YELL as she scrambles to keep up with it all.
EXT. MINES
They're HIT over and over, EXPLODING into a FIERY CLOUD.
INT. GUNNERY POD
TIGHT on Sarah's eyes, frenzied, half-mad with effort.
EXT. LIANDRA
As if finally COMES THROUGH the cloud of fire which dissipatess at their passing.
There, okay? Please point out to me anyplace where it's in the script that Sarah punches and kicks. Feel free to wait until the script book comes out and look it up yourself. In the meantime, let me know if you have any other passages you'd like me to transcribe.

Otherwise...maybe this could be put to bed?

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 01:28   #55
Recoil
First One

See, I didn't necessarily mind the idea of trying something DIFFERENT with weapons --- but it had to be FUNCTIONAL. The old tried-and-true concept of weapons console was functional, but limited. I always wondered how these weapons people locked onto targets that they couldn't see (most weapons consoles had no screens on them in SciFi!)

I think B5 took things to the next level with the Minbari Cruisers "curtain screen" that came down and allowed someone to command a fleet. It had all ships, readouts, and everything else there --- even communications.

I always thought that a weapons console should be like that too. Allowing the weapons officer to see things around him. Then the virtual reality point-and-click might work better. I think this is what JMS was trying for, but when the funds ran out, we got what we got.

Actually, I really think a bridge should be more like Stellar Cartography in Star Trek Generations. EVERYONE on the bridge can see what is around them (similar to the Minbari Cruiser) but this allows weapons to target and aim in a full sphere view, as well as the captain to get a good idea of what is going on around him.
Old April 26th 07, 18:28   #56
RW7427

Actually, I think the weapons system on the Liandra was kinda interesting. But that scene with Sarah grunting and yelling as she fired off shots at the enemy was a little tacky.
Old April 26th 07, 23:06   #57
RMcD
First One

Does nobody else think that seeing Myriam Sirois get hot and sweaty doing that makes for some pretty sweet eye-candy? Is that just me? Oh well...
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 23:21   #58
Recoil
First One

Nah. She never really did anything for me. She was OK, but nothing to write home about IMO.
Old April 26th 07, 23:53   #59
RW7427

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
Does nobody else think that seeing Myriam Sirois get hot and sweaty doing that makes for some pretty sweet eye-candy? Is that just me? Oh well...
I do think she's pretty, but seeing her hot and sweaty wasn't really a turn on for me.
Old April 27th 07, 01:48   #60
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD
Does nobody else think that seeing Myriam Sirois get hot and sweaty doing that makes for some pretty sweet eye-candy?
I'd rather have the guy playing David (his hair is just begging for some hands to be in it) or the guy playing Malcom. ...or both.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote