B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Legend of the Rangers
A -- Excellent 4 9.30%
B -- Good 8 18.60%
C -- Average 20 46.51%
D -- Poor 10 23.26%
F -- Failure 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25th 07, 02:02   #41
KoshN

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheggs View Post
This was a "D" from me, mainly because I expected much more than was given, saved only because of G'Kar ( Andreas). While I recall some roots on the "never retreat" idiocy in the episode on "terror',...
Season 5 - "Learning Curve"
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 25th 07 at 02:03. Reason: vB code fix
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 10:51   #42
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheggs View Post
I also really hated the main character to be named David: I'd reserve that name for David Sheridan, personal foible.
Hey don't diss David ...

GH (also called David in real life)

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 11:21   #43
RMcD
First One

And don't forget Lieutenant J.G. David Corwin!
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 11:29   #44
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

Can someone explain to me the difference on the Ranger movies. I haven't seen Legend of the Rangers yet but I'm trying to figure out what the difference is on the title [COLOR=#0000ff]Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight[/COLOR] which is shown at imdb.com. Is there a difference or are their 2 movies?
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 13:10   #45
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon5fan07 View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference on the Ranger movies. I haven't seen Legend of the Rangers yet but I'm trying to figure out what the difference is on the title [COLOR=#0000ff]Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight[/COLOR] which is shown at imdb.com. Is there a difference or are their 2 movies?
There's only one Rangers movie. 'Legend of the Rangers' would have been the title of the whole series, if it had gone to series, 'To Live and Die in Starlight' was the actual installment, since it would have served as the pilot episode.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 13:36   #46
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

Thank You for clarifying that for me because I've been seeing people rating 'To Live and Die in Starlight' seperately from 'Legend of the Rangers' earlier in this thread. Even though I have already seen the series already a couple years ago I'm waiting until I finish the series again on my own before I see Legend of the Rangers.. my wife and I are in season 1 while I myself am in the middle of the 3rd season. Probably by next month sometime I will see the Legend which then I'll review it.

Alex
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 16:39   #47
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

It comforts me to know that many others hated the weapons system as much as I did. I did not belong to any B5 message boards when it came out but that element just bugged me to no end. It just seemed like an excuse to have a woman punching, kicking, and otherwise showing herself off. While other shows with weak plots need to do such things to attract viewers, it seemed very un-B5 like.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 07, 16:56   #48
hypatia
First One

Well, if what I recall hearing is accurate:

Originally she would have been seated with a kind of virtual screen come up, attached to her hands I guess, and she would guide the weapons that way. That actually would make sense. But the idea proved to be too expensive to film. So I think this was his "second idea".

The sad part is I recall his posts in his moderated board, and he was very excited about the idea of someone finally showing the audience just how the weapons are aimed, or something.

But yea, it turned out laughable. There's just no other word for it, for me, other than "laughable".
Old April 25th 07, 18:46   #49
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Well, if what I recall hearing is accurate:

Originally she would have been seated with a kind of virtual screen come up, attached to her hands I guess, and she would guide the weapons that way. That actually would make sense. But the idea proved to be too expensive to film. So I think this was his "second idea".

The sad part is I recall his posts in his moderated board, and he was very excited about the idea of someone finally showing the audience just how the weapons are aimed, or something.
Quote:
> I've been a B5 fan for about 10 years or so but only recently got to see
> Legend of the Rangers. I'd heard about some of the problems which
> surrounded the production and one thing I read that left me curious was
> that the style of the weapons room (for lack of better words) was
> influenced by financial constraints.
>
> I've looked through some old posts and couldn't see any mention of this
> so I was wondering if it's true? And if it is the case I was hoping you
> could give me an idea of how the weapons room was intended to look. I've
> always thought it was pretty unique for a live action show and it seems
> like it wouldn't be out of place in some manga.
>

No, just the opposite. The traditional way these things are done is
to simply push a button and the ship fires. To create a zero-g
environment where a person is suspended in the center of a completely
CGI 3D environment was hideously costly and difficult, but I wanted to
try something a bit different.

<snipped the unrelated bit about World War Z>

jms
How's that for a misleading answer? Swing and a miss! He didn't even get any wood on that ball.

I remember JMS saying that his original idea (Sarah in a sort of motorized chair that dropped into a virtual environment and operated sort of like the belly gunner in a B-17.) was too costly and that they went with Sarah doing wirework instead as their replacement idea, but I can't find the JMS post now, either. I'm looking up by keywords that I know were in the post, and the post just is not there now. It's almost as if somebody deleted it.

I did a search of rastb5m on Google Groups and jmsnews for "wire" and this is the closest thing that turned up in the Rangers production timeframe, and it's not the post I'm looking for.
http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-16261&query=wire
Quote:
It's a very elaborate production, with everything from pyros to wire works and other stuff, in addition to the usual glut of CGI we tend to do, but so far it's all going quite well.

Quote:
But yea, it turned out laughable. There's just no other word for it, for me, other than "laughable".
For me, it was/is cringe inducing, like fingernails on the blackboard, i.e. torture. Remember the Pink Panther movie where assassins from all over the world were out to kill Clouseau, and the mad, former Chief Insp. Charles Dreyfus is torturing Dr. Fassbender's daughter (scraping a knight's metal gauntlet on a blackboard. <SCREEEEEEECH!!!>) to get the doomsday weapon formula from the professor? Like that.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075066/
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 25th 07 at 23:13. Reason: typo fix
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 00:28   #50
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

Quote:
I remember JMS saying that his original idea (Sarah in a sort of motorized chair that dropped into a virtual environment and operated sort of like the belly gunner in a B-17.)
That might have been cool...though I am not sure what was wrong with the whole console approach. It is not as if you are going to aim visually in a space battle anyway when your target is a great distance away.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote