B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The River Of Souls
A -- Excellent 1 3.70%
B -- Good 13 48.15%
C -- Average 9 33.33%
D -- Poor 4 14.81%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3rd 07, 00:56   #11
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie
Re: EpDis: The River Of Souls

Quote:
and Day of the Dead implied Zoe and Lochley were more than friends at one time
I'm afraid that I missed that too....
Old April 3rd 07, 01:06   #12
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
and Day of the Dead implied Zoe and Lochley were more than friends at one time,
I got that they were flat mates but no further than that. What I did pick up was the methods the two women were using to pay for the drugs and partying was less than honourable.
Old April 3rd 07, 02:49   #13
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow View Post
I got that they were flat mates but no further than that. What I did pick up was the methods the two women were using to pay for the drugs and partying was less than honourable.
That was the impression I got, though I thought that there was less emphasis on partying and more on survival. The partying part I thought was probably Zoe's way of softening the memories of what they had to do to survive.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th 07, 15:44   #14
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

I also got the impression that they were very close... but not necessarily sexually. It's clear Lochley was fond of her flat mate... even if just as a friend... because she still carries the mental baggage from it, all those years later (her security clearance is "Zoe's Dead").

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th 07, 23:07   #15
RW7427

I don't remember seeing Zoe in this movie.
Old April 4th 07, 23:20   #16
crazyhorse
Anarchist

They are talking about the abandoned script,River of Lesbian Love

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th 07, 11:45   #17
Springer
Ambassador

I think Martin Sheen is excellent in this, he really makes it worth watching. Ian McShane doesn't get enough to do. The holo-brothel plot is fairly weak and I'm not entirely sure how those souls could commandeer the holograms and then have them walk around the station... and the love bat is ridiculously rubbish IMO. The worst of the movies, but with some reddeming moments.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th 07, 14:23   #18
raw_bean
Commander

I certainly got a bit of an ambiguous lesbian vibe off Day of the Dead. I do love writing that leaves things like that vaguely undefined. I like not knowing for definite to what extent the two of them were close. As JMS is fond of quoting, "to define is to kill, to suggest is to create."

Conversely River of Souls just felt like 45 minutes of incessant expostitional definition, padded out into a 90 minute movie. I found Martin Sheen fairly insipid, but I'd agree McShane wasn't given enough to do. It's pretty much when he drops out of the story that I always start to doze.

I'm sorry, I sound like a such a bitch. It's only because the best of B5 sets such a high standard that sore thumbs like this one disappoint me so much.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th 07, 15:05   #19
KoshN

I thought TRoS captured the spirit and sense of being in the B5 universe very well, and infinitely better than To Live and Die in Starlight (a.k.a. TLaDiS). Martin Sheen was ~OK~. Ian McShane trashed the movie on the talk show circuit, but I thought he was very good in it, and so were Garibaldi, Zack and Lochley. The holo-brothel stuff seems just a way to show Tracy Scoggins in lingerie, and seems like something that TNT would have requested. As for the love bat, it was priceless when reprogrammed and used on the lawyer.

TLaDiS made me appreciate TRoS movie all the more. It made me look back on TRoS as "the good ol' days, when B5 movies could be good." TRoS, the worst of the movies? Hell no! That dubious honor is reserved for TLaDiS, no contest. Before TLaDiS, I gave TRoS low ratings, 4 out of 10 on IMDb. After TLaDiS, TRoS looks like gold in comparison (upped to 7 out of 10).
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; April 5th 07 at 15:57.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th 07, 01:46   #20
GKarsEye
First One

Lochley doesn't even have the kind of figure that's particularly flattered by lingerie. I mean, yeah, she's hot, but more like an athlete than a boudoir sex-kitten type of hot.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote