B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Thirdspace
A -- Excellent 5 15.63%
B -- Good 18 56.25%
C -- Average 6 18.75%
D -- Poor 1 3.13%
F -- Failure 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26th 07, 16:00   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Thirdspace

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Thirdspace
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Thirdspace
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 01:19   #2
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

Re: EpDis: Thirdspace

It was alright though not up to the standards of ItB or CtA. I just wonder what those anti-life aliens did to pass the time for all those thousands of years when the gate was closed. They must be wicked Solitaire players...
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 01:43   #3
Ranger1
Telepath

for me thirdspace is the worst thing to have ever come out of the mind of JMS. utter failure.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 02:07   #4
RW7427

Entertaining, but not up there with the likes of ItB.
Old March 27th 07, 05:40   #5
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
for me thirdspace is the worst thing to have ever come out of the mind of JMS. utter failure.
No, that would be Byron.

Thirdspace had its moments though:

Lyta and Zack in the elevator

Vir saying "Why are you hitting me?"

Sheridan nuking something yet again...I wonder if as President he kept a stash of nukes on Minbar for when diplomacy did not work.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 06:04   #6
Ranger1
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
No, that would be Byron.

Sheridan nuking something yet again...I wonder if as President he kept a stash of nukes on Minbar for when diplomacy did not work.
i stand corrected, i thought i had purged the horror that was byron from my mind, but you brought the flashbacks flooding back. some people never got over 'nam, or the time their band opened for nirvana, i never got over byron. but true enough thirdspace did have a moment, lyta and zach in the elevator, tie that in with the rest of the zach\lyta\byron stuff and it only gets sadder, i always felt for him over that, i think it was a lot like marcus and susan, except that lyta never seemed to notice the way zach looked at her or treated her.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 08:23   #7
RMcD
First One

It does a much better job than ItB of capturing the B5 spirit, and it's better at playing to B5's strengths (the characters and the effects), so I think it's the better movie (after watching it for the first time my brother decided it was the best instalment of B5 to that point).

As it doesn't impinge too much on the main story, I also think it's one of the best starting points for people new to B5. My only real complaint is that the filler material - that interminable scene with Zack and Lyta in the elevator, which was written during the production to fill the time, and all those staged fights in the Zocalo, weren't especially well integrated.

And at the end, when Sheridan sums up and says something like 'the main thing is everyone's okay,' his definition of 'everyone' doesn't seem to extend to all the maintenance techs, IPX employees, Starfury pilots and Whitestar crews we saw getting killed during the movie. Also I wish Netter Digital had spent more time doing effects for early season 5, and less doing post on Thirdspace, because I believe they were still working on it well into S5's production.

Otherwise it's great. A-
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 15:13   #8
KoshN

From memory: On the low end of C (Average), C- to D+. Story seemed very thin, like it was 44 minutes of content stretched to cover 88 minutes. Some bad acting (Shari Belafonte). Bad fight scene between Ivanova and Trent, didn't sell it, obvious misses, needed better sound effects in the fight scene. GREAT CGI effects. I was unable to suspend disbelief when the alien was revealed. Looked like CGI/cartoonish. I thought the Shadow Soldier in The Long Dark was done better, i.e. less is more. Lack of follow-through on the final moments of the gate, no wide shot, which I think it needed..
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 15:19   #9
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
Good grief, no. It's not worse that To Live and Die in Starlight, or did you forget that one. Mindwipe involved?
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old March 27th 07, 15:35   #10
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
No, that would be Byron.

The comedy worked.

Sheridan, "Can you swing by and pick me up on your way in?"
Delenn, "Of course, in the fullness of time."
Sheridan, "And how long is that? This isn't funny Delenn."
Delenn, "Yes it is."
Sheridan, "Oh, no it isn't!"

Zack, "Well, maybe it is for the best. Three dates and I probably would have married her."

Zack, "Maybe there is just a lot of full moons out there, somewhere, lined up, beaming bozo rays into everybody's brains."